Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Whats Your view on marriage? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Well a couple of days ago me and my friends where talking about marriage etc and I mentioned how I didnt feel I would ever want to be married, and all 5 of them looked shocked?

Is it that bad not to want to get married? also what are your views could you be with someone if they never wanted to get married?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    It's more common now than it ever was to not wish to get married, and it's easier than ever to not be married than it was before.

I am in favour of it personally, I think it's a fantastic commitment and a really stable way to bring up children. I will definately marry if I find the right person, I don't see why not?

I don't agree with people marrying someone they met 3 weeks ago though! It should be really carefully thought out. And to be honest if you've been with someone for 7 odd years then why NOT get married?

ReputationRep:
    I want to get married. But I think it's great that people are realistic about what they want for themselves in life, and if they've sure, they won't lead anyone on.
    However, I think many say they never will when they are very young and change opinion in late 20s (early thirties for guys). Just as with children.
    I wouldn't ask a guy I'm dating at 20 whether he wants to get married or not, but in a serious relationship, I hope the subject would be mentioned in a casual way sooner or later, so I know who I'm dealing with.

ReputationRep:
    There good reasons, my friends werent understanding about me not wanting anything to do with marriage they thought I was playing a joke or something and so did my boyfriend...I know people say it will change but I feel it wont :s

ReputationRep:
    Don't really see the point except for the tax reasons, and getting married because of that can't exactly be the best reason in the world surely? =P I'm not particularly against the idea of being married, I just don't see the point and I've never been one of those girls that picks out her wedding dress and colour theme and what music she's going to walk down the aisle to by the time she's 10 :dontknow: If it happens it happens and if it doesn't it doesn't I suppose is my outlook right now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Albertine)
    It's more common now than it ever was to not wish to get married, and it's easier than ever to not be married than it was before.

I am in favour of it personally, I think it's a fantastic commitment and a really stable way to bring up children. I will definately marry if I find the right person, I don't see why not?

I don't agree with people marrying someone they met 3 weeks ago though! It should be really carefully thought out. And to be honest if you've been with someone for 7 odd years then why NOT get married?
    I don't plan to get married. £15,000 for a piece of paper. Worst of all 40% of them end in divorce anyway.

I would consider it if I was going to have kids because it's a stable upbringing for them and ensures neither parent can run out on them.

Other than that I don't see why I would. Unless my wife was set on it and we had been together for ages and knew we weren't going to split up.

Not sure about marriage itself, but weddings are definitely overblown and more expensive/ostentatious than they need to be. Given that marriages these days are statistically shorter than pretty much any other time in history, it makes you wonder what the point is? Your average person wouldn't spend £30k on a funeral or a family gathering at home to celebrate a child's 21st or a graduation... why on a wedding? The days of getting married when you're 19 and never spending a night apart, content as the day you first met, until you die in your sleep aged 85 are long long gone.

Weddings cause drama, hassle and horrid arguments and, if you really love someone, I think a small modest ceremony would be more romantic and intimate.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by S129439)
      I don't plan to get married. £15,000 for a piece of paper. Worst of all 40% of them end in divorce anyway.

I would consider it if I was going to have kids because it's a stable upbringing for them and ensures neither parent can run out on them.

Other than that I don't see why I would. Unless my wife was set on it and we had been together for ages and knew we weren't going to split up.
      Marriage dont mean parents dont run out...my parent got married year after had me a year and half later my brother then a year after he was born BAM my dad leaves us.....marriage does nothing to keep people together....

ReputationRep:
      I'm not totally sure of the point. You can still be in a loving, committed relationship that lasts forever without a marriage certificate.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by RosiL)
      Marriage dont mean parents dont run out...my parent got married year after had me a year and half later my brother then a year after he was born BAM my dad leaves us.....marriage does nothing to keep people together....
      i disagree it does NOTHING. but your point that it isn't tying is valid. More unmarried men leave the wife and kids than married men. As unfortunate as your case is it doesn't represent society as a whole.

ReputationRep:
      You don't have to spend £15,000 on a wedding :eek:

I would like to get married.

It's something to do when you're young I think, a big celebration of being young and in love and your commitment to be together. I would like to marry because I think it would be a fun event. A union I guess. All of your friends and family joined up for the day, and then hopefully from then on.

I don't want to spend a disgusting amount of money on it though! I think neuroticism about having the "perfect day" actually makes a lot of people's weddings really stressful and miserable, not to mention costly.

Also I think it would be a happy day for my parents. It's a special thing not just for you as a couple but also for involving your family.

ReputationRep:
      I have always got this reaction from my friends too... always said I didn't want to get married when I was younger.

Now I am not saying never, but I just don't understand why people make it their one and only goal in life. Or try to rush into it as soon as they meet someone. Maybe when I meet the right person, I will like the idea more. Who knows!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by BeanofJelly)
      You don't have to spend £15,000 on a wedding :eek:

I would like to get married.

It's something to do when you're young I think, a big celebration of being young and in love and your commitment to be together. I would like to marry because I think it would be a fun event. A union I guess. All of your friends and family joined up for the day, and then hopefully from then on.

I don't want to spend a disgusting amount of money on it though! I think neuroticism about having the "perfect day" actually makes a lot of people's weddings really stressful and miserable, not to mention costly.

Also I think it would be a happy day for my parents. It's a special thing not just for you as a couple but also for involving your family
      I think this is true and a very nice thing

ReputationRep:
      it is a completely pointless and outdated tradition that should be banned.

ReputationRep:
      Marriage is a bit 'meh' to me.
      Saying this, i already have the dress and headpiece that i want drawn out in the back of my notepad.

ReputationRep:
      One day, I would like to get married but it would be a really really low key affair. Maybe only several guests if any.

ReputationRep:
      I think that its a good thing to eventually settle down with one person. To make an commitment albeit symbolic. I would like to get married one day.

ReputationRep:
      I'm definitely one of those girls that wants to get married. Not had it planned out in my head or anything apart from the fact that I don't want a traditional wedding dress and would like to turn up to my wedding in a monster truck (no kidding).

But yeah, I'd love to get married one day, hopefully not too far in the future.

ReputationRep:

you mean girlfriend right?:confused:

ReputationRep:
      I'm definitely a believer in marriage. For me, it just seems more 'solid' somehow (yes, I know there are people that divorce and partners who stay together for a lifetime), I think probably because my parents and both sets of my grandparents have always had very strong marriages and none of them have ever separated or whatever.

I'd be quite upset if my other half had turned round and said 'I'm never getting married' - marriage sort of symbolizes a deep commitment, to me.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 1, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.