Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My A Levels for Medicine, (Confused) Watch

ReputationRep:
    So far i think i am going to take

Biology ( required by some unis)
    Chemistry (required by most Unis)
    Physics ( Academically demanding and slightly relevant) (replace maths)
    Psychology ( Fun, interesting, relevant)

But then again psychology isn't very well respected by unis i hear but i im confident in getting a good grade at it, i could replace it for maths but then risk a B what do you think?

Also i could take applicable science Human Biology but it is coursework based so as a result is not very academically rigorous and it makes me purely science based with no differentiation what so ever.

I am hoping to take all My As's into A2 so they cant be overly demanding as i want to achieve high grades.

Any recommended combinations are great.
    I know there are many topics about this but i wanted my own

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adister)

But then again psychology isn't very well respected by unis i hear but i im confident in getting a good grade at it, i could replace it for maths but then risk a B what do you think?

Also i could take applicable science Human Biology but it is coursework based so as a result is not very academically rigorous and it makes me purely science based with no differentiation what so ever.

I am hoping to take all My As's into A2 so they cant be overly demanding as i want to achieve high grades.

If I was you, get rid of Psych as it is a low subject, and put in History/English Lit/RS, perhaps replace Physics with maths

Neg Rep? Honestly? If you don't agree just quote me and say why?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    I would strongly advise you to take maths. You definitely need to keep biology and chemistry too. Maybe swap physics or psychology for maths? I also think it would be a good idea to have an essay subject though, at least for AS. So I would possibly suggest swapping physics for maths rather than getting rid of psychology because psychology is an essay subject. Also, it's nice to have a new and exciting subject, so I'd keep psychology! If you really don't want to do maths, then I'd just keep your subjects the way they are, as there is a lot of maths in physics anyway. I think those subjects would get you in to do medicine fine (as long as you get loads of work experience too!)

ReputationRep:
    Do psychology if you want and think you'll get a good grade in it because you enjoy it. I honestly don't see a situation where the admissions people will look at two candidates and take the one with a slightly more 'respected' subject as their fourth option just because psychology isn't as 'respected'. They have more important things to differentiate; GCSEs, AS results, A2 predictions, personal statement, work experience, interview etc.

Edit: sorry if I'm wrong explain why though?

ReputationRep:
    Those 4 subjects are absolutely fine.

You don't need Maths.

Edit: Neg rep, really?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adister)

u have to do maths.....u have to keep chemistry. for medicine.....chemistry, maths and bio/phy is required. according to ur gcse marks in bio and phy make a decision or do all 3 sciences and maths which is wt i wud do in ur position.

ReputationRep:
    For goodness sake. Why do people say Maths is needed for Medicine? Why, why, oh why why why!

It ISN'T. There is not a single medical school in the UK which specifies Maths as a requirement, and plenty of applicants have been successful without it. A select FEW schools do specify three science/maths A levels, but Bio/Chem/Physics suffice here, and most only need two, preferably Biology and Chemistry. Some even prefer a contrasting third subject, like UCL.

Psychology is often percieved more of an arts subject, and not the most rigorous of one's, rather than the science it is intended to be. Regardless of people's opinions on the truth of this, the fact remains that medical school is competitive, and you should therefore seek to maximise your chances. Consider an enjoyable contrasting subject which enjoys a high level of respect; History, English Literature, Philosophy or a foreign language jump to mind. However, don't pick something you don't feel confident you can do well in. The leap between GCSE's to A-Levels is huge!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rahul.S)
    u have to do maths.....u have to keep chemistry. for medicine.....chemistry, maths and bio/phy is required. according to ur gcse marks in bio and phy make a decision or do all 3 sciences and maths which is wt i wud do in ur position.
    YOU DO NOT HAVE TO DO MATHS.

Not even if you want to apply to Cambridge, they just prefer 3 science a levels...clearly Physics is a science!

As a poster above said, those 4 are great - no admissions tutor will be working out the 'softness' of psychology when they could be looking at your work exp, interview etc!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelmxxx)
    YOU DO NOT HAVE TO DO MATHS.

Not even if you want to apply to Cambridge, they just prefer 3 science a levels...clearly Physics is a science!

As a poster above said, those 4 are great - no admissions tutor will be working out the 'softness' of psychology when they could be looking at your work exp, interview etc!
    with the current competition and common sense....for medicine and esp at a top uni like cambridge u need to have at least maths...let alone further maths or further additional maths. obv physics is a science, so is BIOLOGY AND CHEMISTRY! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    you do not need maths for medicine, i repeat, you do not need maths for medicine!

ReputationRep:
    I took Chemistry, Biology, Geography and Maths to AS level, dropping Maths at AS with a B grade, I rang round the univeristies I applied to - Sheffield, Manchester, Newcastle & Nottingham, asking their advice as to whether I needed to take Maths to full A level. They all emphatically said no. I was also worried about applying for medicine with only 3 A levels, but I have got interviews for Newcastle and Manchester, and waiting on the other two. Obviously you need to take Chemistry and Biology - apart from that, just take the ones that you enjoy and find relatively easy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinpoint)
    you do not need maths for medicine, i repeat, you do not need maths for medicine!
    Course you dont. Nowhere I know requires it. Yet I just finished a massive project on human body symmetry where we were using statistical analyses which we didnt even cover in S1 in A level.

Id reccomend it.

ReputationRep:
    They are absolutely bloody fine.

ReputationRep:
    Those are the exact same subjects that I'm doing now and I want to go into medicine as well. It's fine.

ReputationRep:
    u have to do maths.....u have to keep chemistry. for medicine.....chemistry, maths and bio/phy is required.

(Original post by TomInce6666)
    we were using statistical analyses which we didnt even cover in S1 in A level.
    Like what, out of curiosity?
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of taking Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and R.E. Would these subjects be ok for medicine? ( I haven't really got my heart set on medicine but I may change my mind).

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roxas13)
    I'm thinking of taking Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and R.E. Would these subjects be ok for medicine? ( I haven't really got my heart set on medicine but I may change my mind).
    Yeah they are fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)

Like what, out of curiosity?
    is tht a picture of u? lol....u came out of ur mother's anus wow! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    is tht a picture of u? lol....u came out of ur mother's anus wow! :eek:
    Yes, I'm an Ewok. And I'll take you down faster than a ****ing AT-ST walking on logs.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.