Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is the HTC HD2 still a good phone? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I've been looking and it seems like a really good phone. It is windows mobile but you can use custom Android roms on it that are working very well. The camera is a bit out of date but I'm not too bothered about that. The screen is also a huge 4.3 inches which is nice.

So basically from people who have/had a HD2, should I get one? I'm intending to use Android on it for everyday use.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Traceur)
    So I've been looking and it seems like a really good phone. It is windows mobile but you can use custom Android roms on it that are working very well. The camera is a bit out of date but I'm not too bothered about that. The screen is also a huge 4.3 inches which is nice.

So basically from people who have/had a HD2, should I get one? I'm intending to use Android on it for everyday use.
    Yep its just as good as my DHD which i upgraded to. Had my HD2 10 months. I am not 100% sure it was worth the upgrade tbh. Android on DHD is only slightly better than android off the SD card on HD2. All in all, if youre getting a deal on it, go for it. Its a better looking phone than my DHD I would say (the back is sexy for one) and has 5 tactile buttons as opposed to 1 on the DHD. Seriously its great!!!

ReputationRep:
    Two words:
    Desire HD.

Is the HD2 a good phone? yes.
    Would I buy it now? No.

Dont get me wrong, I own the HD2 and I run android daily.
    But the HD2 is a year old now...
    And although it runs android superbly (NAND is almost here too!) It simply does not offer the amount of use a native android phone does.
    Batterylife KILLS me in android. 7 hours use, texting, 30mins max on the internet through wifi, 30mins max through HSDP, and about 15 mins of gaming and its gone from 80% to 35%.
    Yes it could be worse, but the DHD will offer so much more.

The DHD offers everything you want, albeit not in a case as pretty as the HD2.

All in all, if your going contract, then get the DHD.
    If your on a spend limit, and your in love with the massive screen, you wont go wrong with the HD2.

Also:
    Winmo runs like a champ if your willing to put the time in finding the right rom/radio and installing all the hacks/reg edits and apps.

ReputationRep:

Since your question has been pretty much answered now, why is the guy in your sig putting two pairs of sunglasses on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BackDoorEntry)
    Since your question has been pretty much answered now, why is the guy in your sig putting two pairs of sunglasses on?
    It's meant to be funneh. Haven't you ever watched CSI:MIAMI?

ReputationRep:
    i would personally buy the HD7 over the HD2....

HD2 is really quite old now as far as phones go

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lonelykatana)
    Two words:
    Desire HD.

Is the HD2 a good phone? yes.
    Would I buy it now? No.

Dont get me wrong, I own the HD2 and I run android daily.
    But the HD2 is a year old now...
    And although it runs android superbly (NAND is almost here too!) It simply does not offer the amount of use a native android phone does.
    Batterylife KILLS me in android. 7 hours use, texting, 30mins max on the internet through wifi, 30mins max through HSDP, and about 15 mins of gaming and its gone from 80% to 35%.
    Yes it could be worse, but the DHD will offer so much more.

The DHD offers everything you want, albeit not in a case as pretty as the HD2.

All in all, if your going contract, then get the DHD.
    If your on a spend limit, and your in love with the massive screen, you wont go wrong with the HD2.

Also:
    Winmo runs like a champ if your willing to put the time in finding the right rom/radio and installing all the hacks/reg edits and apps.

In what way if you dont mind me asking?

Also I havent really been following the XDA scene so are the latest and best android roms fully functioning with 3G, wifi, full compatibilty with android apps?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
    i would personally buy the HD7 over the HD2....

HD2 is really quite old now as far as phones go

I know but it still has a 1GHz Snapdragon processor whereas the HD7 has a 1GHz processor but its not Snapdragon (which is faster). The specs of the HD2 were way ahead of its time. The only problem with it is WinMo 6.5 but however now that can be dualbooted along with Froyo.

Also WP7 is way too new for me to consider it as a serious contender to Android (not saying that it wont someday match or even be better). And another last point is that WP7 has had an early port to HD2 from some developers so you never know, it might run that soon enough as well.

ReputationRep:
    HD2 Is awful, worst phone I've used.

ReputationRep:
    I know but it still has a 1GHz Snapdragon processor whereas the HD7 has a 1GHz processor but its not Snapdragon (which is faster). The specs of the HD2 were way ahead of its time. The only problem with it is WinMo 6.5 but however now that can be dualbooted along with Froyo.

Also WP7 is way too new for me to consider it as a serious contender to Android (not saying that it wont someday match or even be better). And another last point is that WP7 has had an early port to HD2 from some developers so you never know, it might run that soon enough as well.
    the hd7 does have a snapdragon processor, it's exactly the same one that's in the HD2..
    hd7 also has more inbuilt storage and a better camera

but to be honest i'd go for the Desire HD over both of those phones.

ReputationRep:
    In what way if you dont mind me asking?

Also I havent really been following the XDA scene so are the latest and best android roms fully functioning with 3G, wifi, full compatibilty with android apps?

Thanks
    Its mostly the battery life.
    But also the fact its runnin on the SD card annoys me, it makes the whole SD untidy, but i have OCD so...

yeah the new android builds are pretty much 100%
    There is talk of new battery drivers coming with NAND. So maybe that will get two birds with one stone. We shall see

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey)
    HD2 Is awful, worst phone I've used.
    WTF why
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    From what people on xda are saying the DHD experience is much much better than the HD2 with Android hacked on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    From what people on xda are saying the DHD experience is much much better than the HD2 with Android hacked on it.
    Well I'd be suprised if it wasnt to be honest. Android is the native OS on the DHD whereas the HD2 has Android ported to it.

ReputationRep:
    First off, I came in here to say yes, if you plan on putting Android on it...

Why not just get a second hand Nexus One?

ReputationRep:
    If you are going to get one to put android on, just buy an android phone to begin with.

ReputationRep:
    Yes! Totally worth it. I've had the HD2 for 11 months now and I love it! After flashing it with custom ROMs and Radio's, it is superb. I haven't even bothered flashing Android onto it as its that good. I'm considering upgrading to the DHD but then I think is it worth it with the next lot of Android phones coming out next year (2.3, 1.5ghz etc) but I'd say the HD2 is still a fantastic phone up there with the HD7, DHD and iPhone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lonelykatana)
    Its mostly the battery life.
    But also the fact its runnin on the SD card annoys me, it makes the whole SD untidy, but i have OCD so...

yeah the new android builds are pretty much 100%
    There is talk of new battery drivers coming with NAND. So maybe that will get two birds with one stone. We shall see
    There is a few threads on the XDA forums about battery life and how to improve it if it helps to have a read of them...

One more question, when you install android apps take photos, does all this data dissapear when you reboot the phone? And what about if you change the ROMS, do all your apps have to be reinstalled?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    First off, I came in here to say yes, if you plan on putting Android on it...

Why not just get a second hand Nexus One?
    The Nexus One is quite expensive and since the HD2 can have android on it, why not save myself about £200? Also, I prefer the bigger screen on the HD2

ReputationRep:
    The Nexus One is quite expensive and since the HD2 can have android on it, why not save myself about £200? Also, I prefer the bigger screen on the HD2
    TBF, both the HD2 and the N1 can be had for £180 ish on eBay. I can understand the screen argument though.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 30, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.