Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If i do not drop a subject will having four good A levels make up for my average GCSE grades?

For GCSEs I attained 6As and 4Bs and should get 2 As and 2 A*s for my A levels

will this help me get into LSE or another similar Uni?

ReputationRep:
    yeh carry on doing all 4.

no university offer will contain more than 2 A*s so theres not much point dropping the fourth subject and aiming for a third one. (unless of course you're thinking of applying in your gap year)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by city)
    If i do not drop a subject will having four good A levels make up for my average GCSE grades?

Ill let you know whether it helps with LSE or not when they send a decision for my application. I am doing 5 A levels, 1 AS and 1 Extended Project.

ReputationRep:
    The workload will increase, due to the fact that your subjects will presume they have a larger allocation of your time
    I would say its definitely not unbearable though Also its a brilliant example of how good your time management skills are
    Although no Uni's require it, and a lot say it does not affect your application I would say its impossible for them to ignore it, especially the higher uni's, where you need everything you can to stand out amongst the crowd

ReputationRep:
    Doing 5 is fine. It was kind of easy in AS year, but now it is starting to give some grief given that I have to prepare for interviews, admissions tests and whatnot.
    If you are going to do 5, make the 5th something different to the other 4, so that you are well-rounded.

I am currently overworked.

ReputationRep:
    It's a definite that it would look better on your application. HOWEVER, IMO it's better to gain amazing results in 3 A levels, such as attaining A*s, than achieving a possible 3Bs and an A in 4 A levels, but that's if you can't handle the four entire subjects. I would say do it if you're certain you will be able to manage.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    I managed five I got 2A*s and 3As so it is possible however consider how much other stuff you want to be doing, personally I sailed over half term and was either sailing or orienteering every weekend during term time, so I didn't get the other 2A*s I was close to, but I really didn't care I enjoyed my subjects hence I kept them up.

Enjoy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
    yeh carry on doing all 4.

no university offer will contain more than 2 A*s so theres not much point dropping the fourth subject and aiming for a third one. (unless of course you're thinking of applying in your gap year)

Not true, there were a handful of A*A*A* offers last year from Cambridge at least, so it wouldn't surprise me to see places like Oxford, Cambridge and LSE giving that offer out fairly regularly in a year or two.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    Not true, there were a handful of A*A*A* offers last year from Cambridge at least, so it wouldn't surprise me to see places like Oxford, Cambridge and LSE giving that offer out fairly regularly in a year or two.
    seriously? ****. well OP maybe concentrate on getting 3A*s then....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JONNYCMW)
    Doing 5 is fine. It was kind of easy in AS year, but now it is starting to give some grief given that I have to prepare for interviews, admissions tests and whatnot.
    If you are going to do 5, make the 5th something different to the other 4, so that you are well-rounded.

I am currently overworked.
    Being overworked will hinder your grades. What subjects are you taking, out of interest? where have you applied? and which course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mir3a)
    Being overworked will hinder your grades. What subjects are you taking, out of interest? where have you applied? and which course?
    Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Further Maths. For medicine @ oxford, imperial, kings + sheffield.

Our headteacher firmly believed that we should do 5 A levels for the fun of learning and because we can. I'm enjoying it though and my grades are good enough not to warrant dropping anything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dotty_but_good)
    I managed five I got 2A*s and 3As so it is possible however consider how much other stuff you want to be doing, personally I sailed over half term and was either sailing or orienteering every weekend during term time, so I didn't get the other 2A*s I was close to, but I really didn't care I enjoyed my subjects hence I kept them up.

Enjoy
    What subjects did you do?

ReputationRep:
    Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Further Maths. For medicine @ oxford, imperial, kings + sheffield.

Our headteacher firmly believed that we should do 5 A levels for the fun of learning and because we can. I'm enjoying it though and my grades are good enough not to warrant dropping anything
    Solid subjects there bro, well done! what are your predicted grades?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by city)

I'm sort of in your position. Except my GCSEs are slightly worse, and I have more than 4 A levels.
    Do it, there isn't that much content at A level. It'll be fine.

Don't expect it to guarantee you a place, though. It may raise your chances slightly; but, if people are predicted straight As, however many A levels they have it will come down more to PS and references etc. And, probably, GCSEs.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King-Panther)
    What subjects did you do?
    Maths, further maths, physics, chemistry, biology. Like everyone else it seems, wasn't terribly original although originally I had hoped to do geography rather than biology but they couldn't time table it.

ReputationRep:
    There are people doing the above-mentioned 5 subjects all together in 1.3 years' time, from the most difficult exam board (in our and many others' opinion).

It's doable. I'm not boasting or anything, I'm just saying it's possible. I'm only doing 4 in 1.3 years though not 5.

ReputationRep:

I'd drop further maths after AS if you're applying for medicine, as many of my friends hav, but hey, that's just me! FM is hard and takes up a serious amount of time, and from what I can see there is no benifit to having it going into medicine.

I did 5 AS (Maths, FM, German, Chem and Physics), now doing 4 A2 (+ General Studies but that doesn't really count) and my workload isn't too bad at all, I think I would be hating life if I was still doing German now though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.