Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

best german places.. Watch

ReputationRep:
    What are the best places in germany to visit? I'm looking into travelling round europe next year and germany is probably top of my list right now but i can't think of anywhere to go, except of course strasbourg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daytona01)
    What are the best places in germany to visit? I'm looking into travelling round europe next year and germany is probably top of my list right now but i can't think of anywhere to go, except of course strasbourg
    There are plenty of great places to go in Germany.

Firstly, there's Berlin which has a load of things to do (culturally and historically).

You could go to any other German city though. I personally like Munich.

If you are driving, definitely try to go down the Romantic Road (it will take you down to near Munich as well).

Also, go up to the beaches in the north if you're there in the summer. While you're up there, go visit Hamburg!

For how long and during which time of the year are you thinking of going to Germany?

ReputationRep:
    Neunkirchen in Saarland!

ReputationRep:
    Strasbuurg is in France :p:

Dresden is a lovely city, and just 2 hours away from Berlin too. It's split into two, so you'll find something to do. the Old City is mostly bars, restaurants, good for shopping, museums, the old Frauenkirche (women's church) where if you climb to the top you can see the entire city. It's breathtaking. Then in the new part of town it has loads of cafes, youth hostels, hotels, night clubs, independent film cinemas, shisha bars and a few museums too. You can also get the train into Saxony Switzerland, which is mostly just hills, so great if you're into bike riding or walking. But again, the sights are breathtaking. 45 mins south of Dresden there is also a massive ski resort, which is amazing fun, and there is a coach which is dirt cheap and in an hour and a half, you can be in prague

I'd recommend this city totally :yep:.

ReputationRep:
    RE: strasbourg, I went on a school trip there about 8 years ago and we crossed a bridge into Germany. So i'm aware that it is in France but that is the reason i'd like to go there It is on the border and I can take in both countries

genius, i don't drive... nor do i have a girl willing to travel with me (so no romantic road :p: ) no but i've heard of that, i'd like to visit one of the landmark cities.

It is looking to be around January or Feb.... so the beaches idea would be bad

Dresden sounds lovely! I will certainly put it on the list of places to see

Also guys, how fussy are they with foreigners speaking their language? Not to say i wouldn't make an attempt, but my german has always been quite bad. I did it at GCSE and loved it, but only just scraped a C

Lubeck for the sexy Hanseatic architecture.

ReputationRep:
      Northwest Germany is a good area to visit. Few cities bunched together there. I visited Bonn, Aachen, Dusseldorf, Koln and Essen is nearby too. It's also real close to the Netherlands.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by daytona01)
      Also guys, how fussy are they with foreigners speaking their language? Not to say i wouldn't make an attempt, but my german has always been quite bad. I did it at GCSE and loved it, but only just scraped a C
      As far as I can tell, not fussy at all
      Obviously it always depends which kind of people you meet, but usually you shouldn't encounter any problems. English is a compulsory subject for at least five years, but students that do A-Levels often take lessons for up to nine years. So, in most cases you will be completely fine with English anyway. And making an attempt speaking in German [however good or bad it turns out to be] would be even better; we appreciate that it's difficult to learn [even native speakers make so many mistakes when it comes to grammar]. If anything, girls may start swooning over your German with a British accent - that's basically all my girlfriends did when they came visiting me and someone tried talking German to us :lol:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ms throatwobbler-mangrove)
      As far as I can tell, not fussy at all
      Obviously it always depends which kind of people you meet, but usually you shouldn't encounter any problems. English is a compulsory subject for at least five years, but students that do A-Levels often take lessons for up to nine years. So, in most cases you will be completely fine with English anyway. And making an attempt speaking in German [however good or bad it turns out to be] would be even better; we appreciate that it's difficult to learn [even native speakers make so many mistakes when it comes to grammar]. If anything, girls may start swooning over your German with a British accent - that's basically all my girlfriends did when they came visiting me and someone tried talking German to us :lol:
      This also depends on the age. Young people, yes, but if you talk to an adult (even someone who's just 30) you could encounter some problems. My host family came from the North, namely Rostock, and whilst one parent could speak English with barely any problems, one had been made to learn Russian and Danish and so could barely string a few words together. Or there was the time that I was in Bonn and the woman in the store needed to ID me for alcohol, but she couldn't even find where is said "date of birth" on my passport, because she couldn't understand any of it.

Overall though OP, although you might find a few people who can't speak English, you shouldn't have many problems. Although I speak German, when I went there, a lot of people wanted to use their English on me.

ReputationRep:
      The Black Forest is beautiful. Speyer is a lovely town, so is Heidelberg, from what I remember.

ReputationRep:
      Hamburg But....you're going in Winter, so you can't sit in the sun in the parks

ReputationRep:
      How dare you say Strasbourg is in Germany :hmmm:

:p:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by SpiritedAway)
      Strasbuurg is in France :p:

Dresden is a lovely city, and just 2 hours away from Berlin too. It's split into two, so you'll find something to do. the Old City is mostly bars, restaurants, good for shopping, museums, the old Frauenkirche (women's church) where if you climb to the top you can see the entire city. It's breathtaking. Then in the new part of town it has loads of cafes, youth hostels, hotels, night clubs, independent film cinemas, shisha bars and a few museums too. You can also get the train into Saxony Switzerland, which is mostly just hills, so great if you're into bike riding or walking. But again, the sights are breathtaking. 45 mins south of Dresden there is also a massive ski resort, which is amazing fun, and there is a coach which is dirt cheap and in an hour and a half, you can be in prague

I'd recommend this city totally :yep:.
      Louisenstrasse! One thing about Dreseden every other building is different.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Fusion)
      Louisenstrasse! One thing about Dreseden every other building is different.
      I lived on a side road off that street :p:

ReputationRep:
      Berlin - Potzdamer Platz

ReputationRep:
      I lived on a side road off that street :p:
      I stayed in a hostel there, nice location, plenty of bars and stuff. I spent most evenings in the Irish bar

ReputationRep:
      Germany.

ReputationRep:
      I stayed in a hostel there, nice location, plenty of bars and stuff. I spent most evenings in the Irish bar
      Ah lived exactly opposite a hostel! Mondpalast

Was it that one one Louise 20?

My favourite was the games bar

ReputationRep:
      Ah lived exactly opposite a hostel! Mondpalast
      That's the one! A real quirky place.

Were you working/studying in Dreseden?

ReputationRep:
      That's the one! A real quirky place.

Were you working/studying in Dreseden?
      I was working as an Au-Pair and I took a language course at an adults college there till January, then I took history lectures at the the university there

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.