Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    so ive pratically tried everything, its pretty much screwed. Is there much i can do now? i bought it last year january from apple. Is there anything they can do?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    No. Water damage is not covered at all by the manufacturer. In some circumstances third-party insurance covers water damaged mobile phones, check your contents insurance to see if it's covered.

ReputationRep:
    did u put it on straight away?

the first rule is not to put it on til its dried out

but yea, looks like its a brick now.

ReputationRep:
    Wait so you are on your phone as you wash-up? You deserved that.

ReputationRep:
    unfortunate...if you have insurance, it may cover it

my iphone 2g got dropped in a pool once....floated and still works....gotta love the old school tech

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    No. Water damage is not covered at all by the manufacturer. In some circumstances third-party insurance covers water damaged mobile phones, check your contents insurance to see if it's covered.
    hm, can i pay a little to get it repaired and whatnot by them? or is that it?

ReputationRep:
    you bought it in january, didn't it only come out in june/july?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pappu)
    hm, can i pay a little to get it repaired and whatnot by them? or is that it?
    No, they are two little white dots (one in the headphone port hole, one in the dock connector hole) which turn red when in contact with water. Apple check this immediately before they even take a look at the phone - and both your dots will more than certainly be red. Red dots mean water damage, and they don't touch it with a barge pole.

ReputationRep:
    I've done the same to my i pod touch, i fully plan on lying and saying "it just broke" to get it covered by my insurance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    No, they are two little white dots (one in the headphone port hole, one in the dock connector hole) which turn red when in contact with water. Apple check this immediately before they even take a look at the phone - and both your dots will more than certainly be red. Red dots mean water damage, and they don't touch it with a barge pole.
    they've changed it now so there has to be other signs of water damage now, not just the dots.... although i imagine in this case there will be plenty of other signs of water damage......

OP, i assume you've tried letting it completely dry out? it might be worth as a last shot soaking it in contact cleaner, then letting it dry completely again.

but really learn your lesson and buy insurance next time
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
    they've changed it now so there has to be other signs of water damage now, not just the dots.... although i imagine in this case there will be plenty of other signs of water damage......

OP, i assume you've tried letting it completely dry out?
    Have they? I recall there being lots of complaints about the dots turning red when the phone wasn't actually water damaged, so it's good that they've changed it. After it has been bashing about in a washer for a whole wash I don't think they'd be any doubt that it is completely wrecked. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pappu)
    i bought it last year january from apple
    Then it's not an iPhone 4.

In any case, when an electronic item gets wet, the first rule is to not turn it on. Take out any power supply and the battery if you can.

Then the best course of action IMO is to take it all apart, and leave the parts somewhere safe (and dry) out of direct sunlight for a few days. After 2 / 3 / 4 days, put it back together and hope. Worked for when I spilled squash on my netbook and old phone.

(Original post by Beska)
    Have they? I recall there being lots of complaints about the dots turning red when the phone wasn't actually water damaged, so it's good that they've changed it. After it has been bashing about in a washer for a whole wash I don't think they'd be any doubt that it is completely wrecked. :p:
    They haven't changed it really. They have just said that all the water sensors have to be tripped for it to be water damage. (In addition to the one by the headphone jack and the one by the dock connector, there are also a few inside the actual phone). So if you tip a little bit on your phone you may get lucky. But no chance with it being in the washing up.

ReputationRep:
    Take it apart and swallow each individual part. When it comes out the other end, piece the part together and not only wil it be fixed but a special enzyme in the body called protease will make the phone run upto twice as fast. The human stomach makes ideal condition for fixing the new iPhone 4's, but since you said you got it last January, you must mean iPhone 3, in which case, don't try this, it doesn't work. There in an anal insertion technique which have a reported 73% success rate, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    yeh take a look

oh apparently thats only for the iPod... i imagine they treat iphones the same though.

OP, you could potentially get a bit of tipex and colour the water damage indicator white again?.... although that would be hilariously awkward if they pulled you up on it when you took it in to get fixed

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.