Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

"Tories urge action over 'reckless' Labour MP" Watch

ReputationRep:
    From a story at http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11857836

In part, I think it had something to do with a speech similar to this one on Saturday.

Who are you in more agreement with?

John McDonnell?
    Baronness Warsi?
    Neither?

ReputationRep:
    I ****ing love John McDonnell.
    This only makes me love him more. Absolute hero.

ReputationRep:
    There's quite some irony in somebody in a position of power condoning and encouraging violence and criminal damage. Not a single one of you would agree with the man if it was a Conservative making the comments and you'd all be calling for his sacking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wolfos)
    There's quite some irony in somebody in a position of power condoning and encouraging violence and criminal damage. Not a single one of you would agree with the man if it was a Conservative making the comments and you'd all be calling for his sacking.
    McDonnell wasn't the only one - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...untry-11842196

I remember the Countryside Alliance marches several years ago causing similar fun and games on the police protesting side - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3656524.stm - only that time those doing the protesting were predominantly Conservative supporters.

In terms of sacking anyone, McDonnell isn't really in a position of power - if anything he's on the left fringe of the party and largely frozen out by the centre. Also, as an MP there are very limited circumstances in which a sitting MP can be thrown from his seat outside of a general election.

Do I agree with violence? No
    Do I condone it? No

Two things I would say though:
    - Individuals are responsible for their own behaviour. If they seek to break the law, that's their call and they will have to answer for it through due process in our legal system. It's not for me to speak on behalf of them;
    - Governments of whatever political colour of whichever party in the process of policy-making have to account for all possibilities when developing and implementing policies. This includes assessing whether something is politically feasible. The Poll Tax demonstrations of 20 years ago was an example of a political leader who tried to drive through a policy that was not politically feasible (for a variety of reasons). What brought down Thatcher was just as much local constituents in safe Tory seats giving their local MPs a massive hand-bagging as it was the protests from the opposition, trade unionists and other street protestors.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Very very stupid for an MP to say this.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 30, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.