Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there guys!

I want to do medicine...and I really can't imagine doing anything else with my life other than it..so i was just wondering if anyone really wanted to do medicine like me, applied and didn't get in and if you gave up?

I don't have the best grades...they're ok for medicine i think but obviously i stand a chance of not getting in, (3A* 7A GCSE + AABC AS)
    if i got rejected i would obviously reapply next year but if i kept getting rejected i might have to give up..has anyone did this and could have actually done medicine?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    To be fair, if somebody gave up I don't think they would still be posting in the medicine forum. :p:

There are lots and lots of reapplicants for medicine. I am a reapplicant myself and have had an interview, have an interview later this week and are expecting another one later in the year. Same can be said for the other reapplicants on this forum. The commonly quoted figure is 60% of people are rejected from all four choices, so reapplications are more common than you'd think. As long as you learn from your mistakes and improve your application, you have as good a chance as anyone to get in on reapplication.

ReputationRep:
    I know someone who got four rejections last year and took up the Clinical Science course that Peninsula offered instead. She seems pretty happy, but I'm not sure if she was entirely cut out for medicine anyway.
    I got an offer last year, missed it by 5UMS, turned down my second offer of Chem4yr at UEA and am a resitter/reapplicant if that helps. I've just had an interview at Peninsula, so its not the end of the world by any means.
    If you get rejected, its most likely its just because there are too many applicants, or you don't fit the profile of the particular med school. If you've done your research thoroughly you should be fine. But reapplying is definitely very common.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I must say, my thinking on the matter was:

Get an offer, get the grades = GREAT
    Don't get an offer, get the grades = reapply
    Don't get an offer, don't get the grades = Pharmacy insurance
    Don't get the grades for Pharmacy = wasn't considered

And if I had got the grades for Pharmacy but not medicine, I would have stuck with Pharmacy and not done grad entry or what not. Not because I'm not committed, but I'm a bit of a Que Sera Sera person, so would have just accepted the fact that I didn't get in to medicine and left it at that.

ReputationRep:
    My planning was:

Get offer + grades = win
    Get no offer + grades = reapply
    Get no offer + not grades = probably some kind of medical biochemistry degree, but by January results time (still waiting to hear back from Uni's) it became obvious that I would have to get like E's in June to not get AAB so I didn't really consider this..

If I had had to do another degree I would have given graduate entry a good few shots. However, with fees now going up I don't know how feasibly possible that would be considering I would probs have to self fund.

I have a friend that got 4 rejections for two years running and has done another degree with the plan for graduate entry.

I think the whole fees thing will reduce the number of people doing degrees purely for graduate entry now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adalira)
    I know someone who got four rejections last year and took up the Clinical Science course that Peninsula offered instead. She seems pretty happy, but I'm not sure if she was entirely cut out for medicine anyway.
    I got an offer last year, missed it by 5UMS, turned down my second offer of Chem4yr at UEA and am a resitter/reapplicant if that helps. I've just had an interview at Peninsula, so its not the end of the world by any means.
    If you get rejected, its most likely its just because there are too many applicants, or you don't fit the profile of the particular med school. If you've done your research thoroughly you should be fine. But reapplying is definitely very common.
    thanks for your help

what does "acknowledged" mean?

and what will you do this year if you don't get in?

ReputationRep:
    A couple of people I went to school with got to the stage of actually having offers to study medicine, but just did not meet the grades in the end. They're now all studying science-related degrees. In some ways I think getting an offer and not meeting it can be worse than 4 rejections and getting, what would be, the required grades.

Not a lot of people have the strength to go through the whole application process again, never mind retaking A Level exams. It shows extremely strong determination.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Retrospect)
    In some ways I think getting an offer and not meeting it can be worse than 4 rejections and getting, what would be, the required grades.
    I agree completely. 4 rejections is 4 rejections ... 60% people get them. But getting through that hurdle and then missing your grades ... it would be devastating. I wouldn't wish that on anybody.

ReputationRep:
    you can always go czech rep.

you will probs pick up some czech aswell, which would be cool
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
    I must say, my thinking on the matter was:

Get an offer, get the grades = GREAT
    Don't get an offer, get the grades = reapply
    Don't get an offer, don't get the grades = Pharmacy insurance
    Don't get the grades for Pharmacy = wasn't considered

And if I had got the grades for Pharmacy but not medicine, I would have stuck with Pharmacy and not done grad entry or what not. Not because I'm not committed, but I'm a bit of a Que Sera Sera person, so would have just accepted the fact that I didn't get in to medicine and left it at that.
    Errrm why did the above post warrant a bit of neg rep? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retrospect)
    A couple of people I went to school with got to the stage of actually having offers to study medicine, but just did not meet the grades in the end. They're now all studying science-related degrees. In some ways I think getting an offer and not meeting it can be worse than 4 rejections and getting, what would be, the required grades.

Not a lot of people have the strength to go through the whole application process again, never mind retaking A Level exams. It shows extremely strong determination.
    this happened to me. I had 2 offers for medicine, missed my grades for both, resat my alevels, reapplied and was rejected. im now taking a 2nd gap year and giving it one last shot.

looking back on it now, sometimes i wish i was rejected instead of being offered places. the hardest thing for me out of my whole journey was dealing with the rejections on my 2nd application, having got offers from those unis before which was tough. it takes a huge amount of personal strength to actually work for your ALevels when this does happen and it made me doubt my abilities (something i don't normally do) but for me, i just needed to give it another go with my resit grades in hand. Tbh if this isn't commitment and determination for medicine, then I don't know what is.

some people do give up - people i know have ended up doing completely different things to medicine like classics, geography etc. others take up biomed and find that at the end of their degree they just can't be bothered to start out from scratch again so go into teaching or something else. the novelty soon wears off with GEP and i think it's incredibly difficult to start a degree and keep motivation for medicine, whilst trying to study for a 2.1/1st, but it is possible...

ReputationRep:
    My plan was to get in first time. I didn't, so I'm now sort of making it up as I go along.

ReputationRep:
    Errrm why did the above post warrant a bit of neg rep? :confused:
    I tried to rep you but it won't let me.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Fission_Mailed)
    I tried to rep you but it won't let me.
    Haha well thanks for the intention :p: It's cause you're have to rep 40 people before you can rep someone you've repped previously. There are SO many people that it just won't let me rep at the moment

Or you've just been too trigger happy with your rep, dishing it out to everyone..... **** :ninja:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    There are SO many people that it just won't let me rep at the moment
    I basically can't rep anybody who posts in the medicine forum.

ReputationRep:
    Haha well thanks for the intention :p: It's cause you're have to rep 40 people before you can rep someone you've repped previously. There are SO many people that it just won't let me rep at the moment

Or you've just been too trigger happy with your rep, dishing it out to everyone..... [SIZE="1"][COLOR="Silver"]**** :ninja:[/COLOR][/SIZE]
    Lo

(Original post by Beska)
    I basically can't rep anybody who posts in the medicine forum.
    Looks like we're going to have to go on a random repping mission to another sub forum.

After I get some revision done, that is.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Fission_Mailed)
    Looks like we're going to have to go on a random repping mission to another sub forum.

After I get some revision done, that is.
    I've started giving rep to people that ask questions that aren't really really stupid or that couldn't be answered with a simple search. That's my technique for getting past the 40-person-limit. :p:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I can't rep anyone in PS Help :sad: But thanks for the rep

I randomly rep semi intelligent/funny posts and am still not at 40 :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    To answer the original question, there's sort of a down period when you get 4 rejections that makes you think about whether or not you're suited to medicine. I was there and it did feel pretty bad! However, I had a look through many alternative careers, and very nearly did a PhD (in bioengineering of all things!) as it was a generously funded position and it looked like such an attractive way out! (It still kinda does...haha). None of the careers that I looked at seemed very rewarding though, so I stuck with it. There are really three outcomes for people with 4 rejections:

1) Reapply and be successful (be it one more time or more)
    2) Study something else at university and go on to study medicine as a graduate (me!)
    3) Study something else and go on to develop a career that maybe you hadn't considered before (or wait around a bit for a job opening, heh...good ol' recession)

In any case, I personally think it comes down to perseverence as well as financial opportunity. And I don't think people who give up on medicine are any less motivated than those who give it another shot...the feeling of frustration that comes with rejection can sometimes put people off for life I'd imagine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elsa10)
    this happened to me. I had 2 offers for medicine, missed my grades for both, resat my alevels, reapplied and was rejected. im now taking a 2nd gap year and giving it one last shot.

looking back on it now, sometimes i wish i was rejected instead of being offered places. the hardest thing for me out of my whole journey was dealing with the rejections on my 2nd application, having got offers from those unis before which was tough. it takes a huge amount of personal strength to actually work for your ALevels when this does happen and it made me doubt my abilities (something i don't normally do) but for me, i just needed to give it another go with my resit grades in hand. Tbh if this isn't commitment and determination for medicine, then I don't know what is.

some people do give up - people i know have ended up doing completely different things to medicine like classics, geography etc. others take up biomed and find that at the end of their degree they just can't be bothered to start out from scratch again so go into teaching or something else. the novelty soon wears off with GEP and i think it's incredibly difficult to start a degree and keep motivation for medicine, whilst trying to study for a 2.1/1st, but it is possible...
    This is exactly what I think - I can imagine that determination to go for GEP does dwindle for most people. GEP itself sounds dreadful in terms of competition, which is enough to put anyone off.

I hope you manage to get your offers this year, it sounds like you've seen it all through this process. Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.