Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey , its sort of a general question , if you got rejected by UCL , and then you apply again the next year , does it put you to a disadvantage? that they think oh we rejected this kid last year for so and so reason . and what if you you get rejected the second year , do they even consider you if you apply again the third time in a row?

ReputationRep:
    They probably won't remember that you applied before, considering how many applications they get. Whether you applied one year, or eight in a row.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keeran.j)
    Hey , its sort of a general question , if you got rejected by UCL , and then you apply again the next year , does it put you to a disadvantage? that they think oh we rejected this kid last year for so and so reason . and what if you you get rejected the second year , do they even consider you if you apply again the third time in a row?
    I've reapplied for UCL this year after getting a rejection after interview. They told me that I would be treated as a fresh candidate, and I've been given an unconditional offer this year. I think the like if if you show that you really want to go there, and keeping in some sort of contact with the admissions tutor/officer could be a good idea. I made contact with them at points asking how I should be spending my gap year etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakeBeesley)
    I've reapplied for UCL this year after getting a rejection after interview. They told me that I would be treated as a fresh candidate, and I've been given an unconditional offer this year. I think the like if if you show that you really want to go there, and keeping in some sort of contact with the admissions tutor/officer could be a good idea. I made contact with them at points asking how I should be spending my gap year etc.
    Um how did you show that you really want to go there? and the admission tutor is patrick webber? how did you kept in contact with him? and what did you do in your gap year?

ReputationRep:
    I think you've already asked this question in the Ask a Current UCL Student Thread? It all depends on why you were rejected to be honest... and whether you still meet the grade requirements to reapply for a second time.

From what you said in the other thread, you got BBC? And were rejected at the portfolio stage for the Bartlett? In which case, they will probably still consider you, but you have to improve on the points which saw you rejected last year.

There are lots of good architecture schools in the UK, why are you so interested in the Bartlett, just out of curiosity?

ReputationRep:
    Didn't matter for me (law)

ReputationRep:
    Um how did you show that you really want to go there? and the admission tutor is patrick webber? how did you kept in contact with him? and what did you do in your gap year?
    Well, I 'spose it helped that I emailed them straight away last year when I got my rejection, trying to appeal it (there were extenuating circumstances that I felt affected my performance at interview). I explained that it was where I really wanted to go and went from there. I think it's a bit late to do that now if you're reapplying for this year's entry, but you could always try emailing the admissions tutor asking for advice for what to do in your gap year. His email address should be on the UCL website. I'm doing a completely different course (Russian) so I was in contact with the SSEES admissions tutor.

I was convinced that I wasn't going to get the grades to get into UCL, so I started preparing to do A2 Sociology and Psychology AS and A2 in one year to boost my grades, as I thought that would be better than simply resitting the subjects I'd already achieved. I did, however, manage to achieve ABB, the grades I needed, but as I'd already prepared to do it, I decided I'd go ahead and do the A levels. I double checked with the admissions tutor to make sure it'd be a good use of my time.

Normally people travel, work, volunteer (or a mixture of all three!) Getting some life experience is a big thing, I think UCL likes mature students. I could have gone and lived in another country for a few months to increase my capabilities in the language, which could have strengthened my application. Also, reading around the subject you want to do. Look on the website and see if you can look at the courses, choose one that looks interesting and see if you can find out any of the books (it may be different for architecture, I'm not sure, my course is primarily literature based, so I've been reading through some Russian Literature) If you like them, you can add that to your personal statement, it'll show that you have interest in the courses they offer without actually mentioning UCL in your PS, which wouldn't be a good idea if you're applying to other universities!

Good luck with it all, and I hope you get in

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou that was really helpful . But one question tho . did you re sit you exams or gave new subjects? Im thinking of giving physics .. but im not sure tho > i never had physics in my life .. so i am resitting my existing papers. what would be better?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by La Songeuse)
    I think you've already asked this question in the Ask a Current UCL Student Thread? It all depends on why you were rejected to be honest... and whether you still meet the grade requirements to reapply for a second time.

From what you said in the other thread, you got BBC? And were rejected at the portfolio stage for the Bartlett? In which case, they will probably still consider you, but you have to improve on the points which saw you rejected last year.

There are lots of good architecture schools in the UK, why are you so interested in the Bartlett, just out of curiosity?
    Well , Im from pakistan . You must have heard much about the families here. They are pretty conservative , I am from one of those families .. women arent given much importance to study or work , but i have been given that privilege since kindergarten and I am the only exception in my family. So i want to break through the chain , and study abroad . But its not that easy cause , anyone can get into any normal university and get a degree . My brother feels if i want to bring about a change , then i should do something more than what just an average student could do , So I have set my goals high , even though I might not be able to reach them , but thats the hard work and dedication that i haveto put in remove that consistant stupidity that runs thru generations in my family , once i get into a top university and do study what i love the most , certainly im sure it will bring about a change , because its not easy to get into UCL or even study architecture. So its more like a challenge in my life right now. This may seem kinda odd to all of you :/

ReputationRep:
    I missed out on UCL last year so reapplying again this year. I emailed the head of my admissions, he said that I wont have to interview again (did well at the interview last year) but MAY have to get slightly higher grades. He wasnt very clear if I WILL have to get better grades so I'm just going to apply and see what offer they give!

ReputationRep:
    Well , Im from pakistan . You must have heard much about the families here. They are pretty conservative , I am from one of those families .. women arent given much importance to study or work , but i have been given that privilege since kindergarten and I am the only exception in my family. So i want to break through the chain , and study abroad . But its not that easy cause , anyone can get into any normal university and get a degree . My brother feels if i want to bring about a change , then i should do something more than what just an average student could do , So I have set my goals high , even though I might not be able to reach them , but thats the hard work and dedication that i haveto put in remove that consistant stupidity that runs thru generations in my family , once i get into a top university and do study what i love the most , certainly im sure it will bring about a change , because its not easy to get into UCL or even study architecture. So its more like a challenge in my life right now. This may seem kinda odd to all of you :/
    No, not at all! I definitely know about family pressure to do well and try to succeed, I also understand your desire to create change - I'm the first in my family to go to university. You should set your goals high! If you resit your A levels and try to come up with an amazing portfolio, then maybe you will stand a chance.

However, if you get rejected again, I don't think I would apply a third time. I would have a good back-up university that I wanted to go to this year, and start my education there. There are many good architecture schools in the UK, I would research them and choose one which you like and stand a better chance of getting an offer from.

ReputationRep:
    Thats the problem , my family is only allowing me to pursue studies in UK if i get into UCL , and another condition is that the universities haveto be in london , so the second choice is city , but my brother doesnt agrees for city because he's studying there doing engineering and says the architeture course there is not that good . So if i dont get into UCL .. then im stuck in pakistan , and il be doing architecture in a local university here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanNature1992)
    I missed out on UCL last year so reapplying again this year. I emailed the head of my admissions, he said that I wont have to interview again (did well at the interview last year) but MAY have to get slightly higher grades. He wasnt very clear if I WILL have to get better grades so I'm just going to apply and see what offer they give!
    Hey your re-applying too? I needed some advice regarding my personal statement :/ mine usually consists of my older version and some new bits to it . I wanted to know how did you go about yours?

ReputationRep:
    Hey your re-applying too? I needed some advice regarding my personal statement :/ mine usually consists of my older version and some new bits to it . I wanted to know how did you go about yours?
    Lol that's what I did - I only had like 4 new lines of material, that's all they need to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    Lol that's what I did - I only had like 4 new lines of material, that's all they need to be honest.
    Did you get the task?

ReputationRep:
    btw have you submitted your ucas? did you have trouble with the personal statement detecting thing?

ReputationRep:
    Did you get the task?
    What's the task?! :confused:

My head of 6th form from my old school is submitting it, its not gone out yet but should in the next few days. The plagiarism thing will recognise that its you reapplying again so you wont get in trouble.

ReputationRep:
    are you applying to ucl for architecture? if so after you have submitted your ucas you recieve a task to submit?

ReputationRep:
    What's the task?! :confused:

My head of 6th form from my old school is submitting it, its not gone out yet but should in the next few days. The plagiarism thing will recognise that its you reapplying again so you wont get in trouble.
    yeah but what im afraid of is that i had a different surname last year when i applied and a different one now .. will that screw me up?

ReputationRep:
    yeah but what im afraid of is that i had a different surname last year when i applied and a different one now .. will that screw me up?
    I'm not applying for architecture so no "task" for me. I'm not sure, you need to phone the ucas enquiries or something.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.