Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

aldehydes and ketones Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Why is it easier to oxidise primary alcohols to aldehydes than it is to oxidise secondary alcohols to ketones?

I know it'll be something to do with the fact primary alcohols only have one R group and secondary alcohols have two, but i'm not sure what effect it has.

thanks
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemma1234)
    Why is it easier to oxidise primary alcohols to aldehydes than it is to oxidise secondary alcohols to ketones?

I know it'll be something to do with the fact primary alcohols only have one R group and secondary alcohols have two, but i'm not sure what effect it has.

thanks
    Aldehydes tend to be more reactive than ketones as the two alkyl groups either side of the carbonyl in ketones induce electrons towards the carbon of the carbonyl reducing the polarity.

Aldehydes have only one alkyl group attached to the carbonyl and hence greater polarity.

ReputationRep:
    The extra bulk of another R probably makes it harder to attack.

ReputationRep:
    Hey! i believe it would be that primary alcohols only have one R group which is electron donating hence making the Carbon attached to the OH less positive whereas secondary alcohols have two R groups making the Carbon less positive... im not 100% sure but that is usually the explanation used for R groups...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.