Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I'm currently an EP 1st year student, I find that i'm REALLY not enjoying my Exp Psych course at Oxford and would like to move to a uni with a more 'traditional' Psychology course such as UCL.
    I find that the lack of choice and the crazy deadlines have made me dislike my subject.
    Any advice?
    I do realise most people will think i'm being silly, but come on, what matters more: to be happy with your course, or to be unhappy just to get an Oxford degree?

ReputationRep:
    Unhappy, ox degree.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough: if you are unhappy, then leave. But I cannot help but sympathise with the student who was rejected and would have relished the experience.

ReputationRep:
    I can empathise - The constant deadlines and stress induced by my degree have caused me to grow to dislike the subject and theres **** all I can do about it now

ReputationRep:
    How many deadlines do you guys have? I'm a medic, and although I've found myself looking a bit like a protected owl at times and my fridge has a copious turn-over of the Tesco energy drink, it has always been manageable and most importantly the last 7 weeks have been incredibly fun. I also did rowing, so that was a time hog as well.

ReputationRep:
    come to brookes, we have about 6 deadlines a semester, i joke!

... no really it's piss easy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by texastornado)
    Hi
    I'm currently an EP 1st year student, I find that i'm REALLY not enjoying my Exp Psych course at Oxford and would like to move to a uni with a more 'traditional' Psychology course such as UCL.
    I find that the lack of choice and the crazy deadlines have made me dislike my subject.
    Any advice?
    I do realise most people will think i'm being silly, but come on, what matters more: to be happy with your course, or to be unhappy just to get an Oxford degree?
    I worked a bit with the Oxford psych dept, I thought it was incredible.
    Can you change subjects? Do you have to do exp psych? PPP is a great option and in many ways more interesting.

ReputationRep:
    Stay, I know in some ways Oxford is awful but its also so much fun! Take every opportunity to get dressed up in black tie (my friends from other unis love coming to stay and going to formals with me because they have nothing like it at their unis - except camb & durham), go to balls, cardinals cocktails etc, join OIFS and go to graduate recruitment events for free drinks...!! see exciting speakers at the union. Oxford is actually a really fun city, I looove kukui, too much haha. lovely restaurants and bars. Trust me, London is not much fun to live in as a student. I'm a londoner and couldnt live in ox forever, but its like a condensed version of lots of the things that are good about London.

Get involved in a couple of societies or charity groups. Pro plus and caffeine are your friends, you will adjust to the workload. a habit I wish I'd started earlier is putting in 9 to 5 in the library and treating work as a job so you can save time to reward yourself and have fun. I still tend to have all-nighters though, you adjust...

I'm a finalist and things are quite awful now (some friends on ADs, I can't relax from now until june, I guess it has been tough emotionally throughout my degree...never feeling like I'm good enough, anxiety symptoms etc) but I really have had the best time of my life here, every minute of essay irritation has been utterly worth it, and none of my friends at other unis have had vaguely comparable experiences. speak to your personal tutor about your workload if you are really struggling. Oxford don't want people to drop out and they will most likely be very sympathetic and helpful.

ReputationRep:
    YOU applied to Oxford, YOU chose the course, what were you expecting...?!

ReputationRep:
    leave...doing a course you enjoy is the most important thing to do.

Good luck with whatever you do

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    Any advice?
    If the course really isn't for you and you'd rather be somewhere else, you should move universities. Before this it would be sensible to talk to your tutors about what's causing you to dislike the course and whether any of those factors are likely to change in the second and third years. They might also be able to help you with the process of transferring.

ReputationRep:
    Texacostornado perhaps you could look in a bit more detail as to what is making you unhappy:
    is it doing essays on time (not easy)
    is it November (not easy)
    is it Oxford student life
    is it homesickness
    is it the other students in your tutor group
    is it your tutor
    is it the content of the course
    is it you feeling low

Some of these will get better with time, some can be changed by taking up the other social opportunities available. If it is your course can you not change course and stay at Oxford? such as do PP or PPP or something ? It would be so much better and easier from a UCAS grant/accomadation/cv point of view. It is quite common to feel a bit let down with a course at this stage so dont give up. Keep going. There is probably help available on essay technique and you will get better and quicker at essays. Chat with your tutor like Huw says -maybe the tutor has the balance wrong.:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    Any advice?
    Sorry to hear this.
    Do you dislike it to the extent where you literally cannot see your situation improving? If so, then leave- it's your degree, your life, and you deserve to be happy.

But not without thinking about these things:
    - Is the problem with the course (if so, which aspect?) or Oxford itself?
    - What are the benefits of life at Oxford and are there enough of them to stick things out a little longer?
    - Could you transfer to another course such as Psych & Phil?-- I know it's very late on and they might refuse you but if you're really unhappy, its worth a shot
    - Is psych really right for you?
    - What branch(es) of psych are you most interested in and which places offer opportunities for these?
    - What universities would be right for you? Maybe try and attend some lectures at the unis you're thinking about, or ask current students- that way you wouldn't be blindly stumbling into something which you also don't enjoy

I'm applying for EP, so out of interest, is it only you in the dept who feels this way, or does everyone else have the same doubts? And can you be a bit more specific as to what you don't like? I only ask because if you mentioned UCL, but they're hardly a relaxed faculty either.

ReputationRep:
    :console:

I had a similar experience last year (PPE - utterly hated E and wasn't a massive fan of one of the P's), but things have gotten a lot better.

Remember there are mechanisms for changing to a subject you may perhaps prefer to do (such as PPP) - I went through the motions of getting interviewed for HistPol before deciding to stick with PPE.

Now I'm in second year, my choices mean I'm in more control. Hopefully this'll happen for you too? Talk to a second year and see what they say. Talk to the tutors too to see what options you have!

Stick with it, I'd say. Talk to some people and decide what options you have, but don't make a rash decision for a week or two. It's been a long term (particuarly for a fresher with all the new experiences) and you'll find you'll get more and more efficient with deadlines and more streetwise about what reading needs to be done etc. so it gets easier.

Good luck with your decision!

ReputationRep:
    Well, what did you expect from difficult course this that and a demanding uni? It wasn't going to be a walk in the park. This isn't A-Level anymore; there are probably about 400 others who in your course and are able to manage.

Don't be a quitter, stick it out. Its only been 2 months since you started. Do you think it's going to be any easier at UCL?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milkytea)
    Fair enough: if you are unhappy, then leave. But I cannot help but sympathise with the student who was rejected and would have relished the experience.
    are you even at an oxbridge uni? idiots who don't know what it's like always spout this 'someone else would have loved it', 'think of the ones that got rejected', which is just bull. shut up unless you have some proper experience and advice.

op i'd give it the whole year, no point dropping out now. i felt incredibly stressed (still do) and hate my course, but i know i'd regret it if i left - plus, the social side is fantastic. stick it out and talk to your tutor/chaplain/whatever, they're pretty helpful and supportive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yahyahyah)
    are you even at an oxbridge uni? idiots who don't know what it's like always spout this 'someone else would have loved it', 'think of the ones that got rejected', which is just bull. shut up unless you have some proper experience and advice.

op i'd give it the whole year, no point dropping out now. i felt incredibly stressed (still do) and hate my course, but i know i'd regret it if i left - plus, the social side is fantastic. stick it out and talk to your tutor/chaplain/whatever, they're pretty helpful and supportive.
    No, I am not at any university, I am at college.

So you're saying that out of all the people who were rejected, none of them would have enjoyed their time more on the course than the OP?

I am not criticising the OP. As I said, if she is unhappy then of course she is perfectly entitled to leave.

I understand that the workload is almost certainly very hard, but the fact remains that somebody that was rejected could well be excelling on the course right now. If anything, it is a flaw with the admissions service rather than anything, or anyone, else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athena)
    Yes, you ARE directly criticising the OP, as well as expecting them to have the ability to see into the future.
    It's impossible to know what a degree course at ANY university is really like until you are studying it. You could easily be in the OPs shoes in a year or two's times, so I would hush up about things you have no experience of, if I were you.
    As far as I'm concerned, it's a shame that hypothetical candidate who got rejected but would have done well isn't on the course, but the OP is. That sounds harsh, but I'm not criticising - if it had turned out differently, then perhaps everyone involved could've been satisfied. The OP said she would prefer to be somewhere else. I realise that you can never be certain you'll enjoy a course. It's not the OP's fault, I'm not saying it is!

I don't see what I've said that is so morally objectionable here. I apologise to any offence taken by the OP, or anyone else in similar circumstances, but also defend my original point.

Oh, and if you care to point out where I "directly criticised" the OP, that would be very enlightening. If you'll notice, I said "she is perfectly entitled to leave" and "it is a flaw with the admissions service rather than a flaw with anybody else".

ReputationRep:
    you get this stupid counterfactual every time someone comes on saying "i've got an offer but i don't know if i want to take it, maybe i should go to lse instead" or something, and then they get pounced on by people who got rejected saying "waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa i wanted to get in and you're so ungrateful you're such a terrible person"

it is hard enough being in this position without a load of children speculating about what a mistake you are
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milkytea)
    As far as I'm concerned, it's a shame that hypothetical candidate who got rejected but would have done well isn't on the course, but the OP is. That sounds harsh, but I'm not criticising - if it had turned out differently, then perhaps everyone involved could've been satisfied. The OP said she would prefer to be somewhere else. I realise that you can never be certain you'll enjoy a course. It's not the OP's fault, I'm not saying it is!
    Why exactly are you feeling sorry for a hypothetical candidate whose rejection - as you say - was unconnected to the OP's offer, though? I mean, of course I can see why you'd feel sorry for them in general terms, but it really has nothing to do with the OP and whether or not she's happy on her course... Also, if you can never be certain you'll enjoy a course, surely that also ought to apply to those hypothetical candidates who would (hypothetically) have been so much happier with / appreciate of the course than someone who's considering dropping out?:confused:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.