Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i'm yet to sent my application off as I'm not sure whether to apply to UCL or not for Psychology.
    Assuming UCL is more competitive, if UCL accepted me then it would be probable that Durham would also. Durham would be my first choice so I'm thinking it'd be a waste of 1 apply as UCL is higher requirements (A*AA) so it couldn't be used as a logical insurance. Saying this, would people say Durham is equally as competitive/difficult to get into as UCL - in which case I would apply to both incase I didn't get in Durham and got a place at UCL(which would then be my first choice).

I know this is pretty dependent on various factors, assuming if I got an offer from UCL I would from Durham etc but I was hoping for an inkling as to if it's worth me applying UCL or not.

Hope this makes sense, thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Limeey)
    Hi, i'm yet to sent my application off as I'm not sure whether to apply to UCL or not for Psychology.
    Assuming UCL is more competitive, if UCL accepted me then it would be probable that Durham would also. Durham would be my first choice so I'm thinking it'd be a waste of 1 apply as UCL is higher requirements (A*AA) so it couldn't be used as a logical insurance. Saying this, would people say Durham is equally as competitive/difficult to get into as UCL - in which case I would apply to both incase I didn't get in Durham and got a place at UCL(which would then be my first choice).

I know this is pretty dependent on various factors, assuming if I got an offer from UCL I would from Durham etc but I was hoping for an inkling as to if it's worth me applying UCL or not.

Hope this makes sense, thanks
    First of all...where the hell do you actually want to go?

ReputationRep:
    Don't assume that universities make offers according to some kind of pecking order of competitiveness. With each uni it's about whether they want you for that particular course; they don't know, or care, where else you've applied, they are simply seeing if you're what they want, and that is dependent on more than just grades. You get people accepted by Oxford and rejected by UCL, or accepted by Durham and rejected by Exeter, and so on. At the 'top end' things are so competitive that you can't assume that if you are accepted or rejected by one uni, acceptance or rejection by another will follow, so it's pointless trying to apply tactically on that kind of assumption.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by megaduck)
    Don't assume that universities make offers according to some kind of pecking order of competitiveness. With each uni it's about whether they want you for that particular course; they don't know, or care, where else you've applied, they are simply seeing if you're what they want, and that is dependent on more than just grades. You get people accepted by Oxford and rejected by UCL, or accepted by Durham and rejected by Exeter, and so on. At the 'top end' things are so competitive that you can't assume that if you are accepted or rejected by one uni, acceptance or rejection by another will follow, so it's pointless trying to apply tactically on that kind of assumption.
    I don't think that's true at all.

Admissions tutors are looking for people who they think will pass the course first and foremost. The best way to predict this is based on previously attained grades. More competitive universities have a slightly higher standard of student applying and can therefore be more selective with their grades. They can afford to only give offers to the very best and that's nearly always what they do, which is why the "top" universities hand much more good honours than the rest.

Universities are academic institutions and it makes sense that they select primarily and almost solely on academic grades. Apart from interviews and perhaps the personal statement (although I've been told that these aren't really read very much) I can't see what else is relevant.

Although I do agree with the rest of your post.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.