Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i am not used to this weather. what do people do around here during this weather? just stay indoors i am guessing. bleh. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Carry on as usual.

It's easy enough to get places in St Andrews still, it's not like we're stuck in remote villages and can't get anywhere because the roads are bad for driving, the worst that's going to happen is you fall on your backside a few times. I actually think it's nicer weather to go out in than the pelting down rain seeing as you don't get nearly as soaked through!

ReputationRep:
    but it's a combination of all three! Snow, rain, sleet, hail. Wait, that is four. I don't even know what I am experiencing anymore. LOL. I can't imagine some people don't find it utterly depressing to a certain extent. Again, not used to it. I also feel that maybe I need different clothing, though my money situation is not allowing such a thought to actualize. At least I've got wellies!

Too bad there is a shortage of men. :P

ReputationRep:
    I man up and walk to work at 8am on a Sunday from DRA.

Yeah but the roads always seem to be clear and the buses, even if they are a little late, still run.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LGF92)
    I man up and walk to work at 8am on a Sunday from DRA.

Yeah but the roads always seem to be clear and the buses, even if they are a little late, still run.
    Yeah, they seem to keep on top of that. I am guessing because St Andy's is generally an upper class town? Not sure but I think I've read that. Anyway, I enjoy the snow! It's just lately it's been wet as well while snow at least isn't as wet. I've been wanting to go build a snow man but I don't have proper gloves.

No wonder people drink so much 'round here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViewlessWings)
    Yeah, they seem to keep on top of that. I am guessing because St Andy's is generally an upper class town? Not sure but I think I've read that. Anyway, I enjoy the snow! It's just lately it's been wet as well while snow at least isn't as wet. I've been wanting to go build a snow man but I don't have proper gloves.

No wonder people drink so much 'round here
    Most towns in the UK, "upper-class" or not, can cope with a bit of snow (which is what St Andrews has), it's just when it gets really deep that they have problems, although cities like Newcastle are still operating under a foot and a half of snow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LGF92)
    Most towns in the UK, "upper-class" or not, can cope with a bit of snow (which is what St Andrews has), it's just when it gets really deep that they have problems, although cities like Newcastle are still operating under a foot and a half of snow.
    oh, so this is "a bit" of snow?! i'd hate to be in the places buried in it. it's quite beautiful if a little disarming, at least for me.

how bad does it have to get until everything goes under? places closing, schools and flights cancelled?

I can't imagine some people don't find it utterly depressing to a certain extent.
    St. Andrews is depressing.

ReputationRep:
    but it's a combination of all three! Snow, rain, sleet, hail. Wait, that is four. I don't even know what I am experiencing anymore. LOL. I can't imagine some people don't find it utterly depressing to a certain extent. Again, not used to it. I also feel that maybe I need different clothing, though my money situation is not allowing such a thought to actualize. At least I've got wellies!

Too bad there is a shortage of men. :P
    Welcome to Britain

It is always miserable, cold and wet. Even in the Summer. I guess you're from America?

But wrap up warm, wear a trench coat with a hoody and other layers underneath, drink hot chocolate or coffee and don't walk too far outside. The good think about Britain is the cities are dense so you usually don't need to walk far to do anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RamocitoMorales)
    St. Andrews is depressing.

hahaha. the ultimate advise. trust me, i am dealing. thought a simple thread wouldn't hurt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broderss)
    Welcome to Britain

It is always miserable, cold and wet. Even in the Summer. I guess you're from America?

But wrap up warm, wear a trench coat with a hoody and other layers underneath, drink hot chocolate or coffee and don't walk too far outside. The good think about Britain is the cities are dense so you usually don't need to walk far to do anything.

I didn't find it miserable in early autumn

I think it's just getting used to it. I am from America but there are places in America that seem to be cold, wet and miserable though I don't originate from any of them.

I was quite excited the first night it snowed! I just think the not going out as much is adding to the blahness. Overall, St Andrews may not be big but hey, how many times can you see a snow covered ancient cathedral?

ReputationRep:
    oh, so this is "a bit" of snow?! i'd hate to be in the places buried in it. it's quite beautiful if a little disarming, at least for me.

how bad does it have to get until everything goes under? places closing, schools and flights cancelled?
    Half the shops on Market Street today (Viyella, the fish bar, H & M, Clarks, Waterstones, The Christmas Shop - ironically - and others) were shut due to staff not being able to get in. I work at Ryman, and we had 3 staff in out of an intended 8. Edinburgh Airport has been closed for nearly 3 days now, and in my home county (Northumberland) I think 71 out of 77 schools are shut for the rest of the week. It'll be minus nine on Friday according to the Met Office...

ReputationRep:
    wow, -9, that's shocking ;P maybe they will postpone my essay deadline due to bad weather conditions? (finger crossed )
    why is everyone so freaked out about the weather anyway? even in my home country where we actually have lots of snow every year, people start to behave like crazy.
    I really don't get it and hope that Edi airport will be ready by Xmas time or I'm (and everyone else from my course) stuck here for whole winter break. :| I love St A, but I'd like to go home too.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by LGF92)
    Half the shops on Market Street today (Viyella, the fish bar, H & M, Clarks, Waterstones, The Christmas Shop - ironically - and others) were shut due to staff not being able to get in. I work at Ryman, and we had 3 staff in out of an intended 8. Edinburgh Airport has been closed for nearly 3 days now, and in my home county (Northumberland) I think 71 out of 77 schools are shut for the rest of the week. It'll be minus nine on Friday according to the Met Office...
    I was raging to see H&M closed! Walked all the way into town for a walk about, planning to go into H&M, Waterstones, etc and they were closed :mad:

Btw, there is hardly any snow in St Andrews really, especially compared to other places in Scotland atm.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah gotta say for me this is isn't that much snow. However, it is a lot worse in the rest of Fife and that needs to be taken into consideration - a lot of people working here commute.

ReputationRep:
    I love the snow, could happily live with it the entire year

ReputationRep:
    I don't mind the snow! It's quite pretty. I think the wind in St Andrew's makes the cold a bit more unbearable for me. At least the wind has calmed down but earlier this week...woah. I too hope the airport isn't closed due to snow! I have a flight a few days after the 17th and need to stay overnight in the airport.

I've yet to build a snowman.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.