Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, hope this isnt a silly post but I want to buy a new monitor, thats much bigger than what I have at the moment, the only feature I really want is the ability to rotate it 90 degrees, so its portrait, as Im finding im spending ages typing away, im not really a gamer anymore. The best (+ cheapest) one Ive found so far is:

Samsung 2443BW 24 Inch Monitor -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...pf_rd_i=468294

So, I was wondering if anyone knows any other cheaper ones. Criteria are
    1)24"
    2)can rotate to portrait
    3)cheapish (ideally under £200)

thanks

ReputationRep:
    You should be able to rotate any monitor. So I wouldn't worry about that. That is more likely to be your graphics card (do you know what this is and I can post instructions on how to rotate your screen if you quote me on this).

24" is something I'm assuming anyone can identify.

You want to get a good resolution though because at that size - a bad resolution is going to look terrible. The native resolution of a monitor that size is normally 1920x1080 (that's what will look 'normal' sized) so make sure the monitor is at least that.

ReputationRep:
    By able to turn it to portrait mode , do you mean the ability to display in portrait (graphics card issue) or if the Stand allows you to swivel the screen to portrait mode?

ReputationRep:
    Don't get the samsung, you can get better monitors for cheaper.

I've currently got the Dell U2311h, (I know it's only 23"), but the main point is that it has an IPS panel, which is vastly superior to the TN panels most LCDs have.

If you're gonna be spending around £200 on a monitor, you may as well get a good one. You can pick up the Dell I have for around £210 or just under 'refurbished' on ebay. This means it's basically new, but may have a couple of cosmetic scratches on the stand or have an opened box etc. Seriously though, once you get an IPS monitor you'll never go back! Especially as you don't game much, which is where they are usually weakest (have slightly slow response times in comparison to gaming monitors), but image quality is unrivalled. The Dell I mentioned has the 90 degree swivel mechanism, so should be fine for you.

I'm sure there are cheaper 24" swivel monitors around, but no IPS ones. If you don't care too much about the screen quality, then have a look. Only issue is, ones that can swivel 90 degrees are relatively hard to find towards the budget end of monitors...

ReputationRep:
    Yep. Another thing to remember about panel technologies: TN panels in their normal orientation have somewhat OK horizontal viewing angles, but are terrible from any significant vertical deviation. Turning the display makes that a horizontal viewing angle issue, so a portrait TN panel is only any good viewed from straight ahead. A good PVA/MVA or any IPS panel will be much better... What I'd do is look out for one second hand/refurbished; in general the manufacturers to look for are Dell, HP, NEC, Lacie, Eizo and other business-oriented companies as the displays are aimed at professional users rather than consumers.

ReputationRep:
    Bumping this.

Mate has just called, looking for exactly the same thing, any ideas?

Edit: Though rotate is not an issue, it needs 1x HDMI and it's primarily for gaming,

ReputationRep:
    I've recently seen and briefly used the Iiyama 24" panel and have a couple of the 27" panels in my office. They're very nice. I've had really good experience with Iiyama monitors. I've still got a 19" flat CRT.

I'm not sure that they'll do portrait mode but with something that size I'm not sure that portrait is actually useful. If you're using something like word then you should be able to set it up to show two pages side by side and keep it in landscape.

If you do much web browsing you'll also find that 1080 wide isn't enough for a lot of web pages or many other apps. I tried portrait mode with a smaller monitor at work and changed back quickly as it was useless for most things.

This is what I've been using:
    http://www.dabs.com/products/iiyama-...-tft-6L9Y.html

and this is the 24" equivalent
    http://www.dabs.com/products/iiyama-...i-vg-739F.html

The 27" has HDMI, DVI and VGA. I imagine the 24" is similar.

If I had space at home I'd be buying at least one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Bumping this.

Mate has just called, looking for exactly the same thing, any ideas?

Edit: Though rotate is not an issue, it needs 1x HDMI and it's primarily for gaming,
    Samsung P2450H would be a fairly good bet if it's primarily for gaming (I imagine he doesn't need 3D compatibility..?)

Obviously it's only a TN panel, but the *VA panels around for less than £200 have response time issues, and you can't get IPS panels for that sort of money...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 8, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.