Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I figured the opinion of the rich and famous generally carries more weight than your average Joe in the street, so thought it would be useful to compile a resource of books read by the rich and famous.

Some cite books as being a huge influence so if we read them too, maybe that can inspire us to achieve great things.

I'll start:

The Alchemist-Paulo Coelho-Will Smith, Madonna, Bill Clinton, Julia Roberts.

Think and grow rich-Napoleon Hill-Bruce Lee, Geoff Thompson.

How to win friends and influence people-Dale Carnegie-Warren Buffett. Video here where the book is discussed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mg5Ah...layer_embedded

The art of positive thinking-Norman Vincent Peale-Donald Trump.

The autobiography of Malcolm X-Barrack Obama, Jay Z, Steven French.

Rich dad, poor dad-Robert Kiyosaki-Will Smith. Video here where the book is discussed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfKah...layer_embedded

ReputationRep:
    I honestly could not care less what the rich and famous read; their choices are poor derivatives of Castiligione and Machiavelli, or quite clearly ideologically driven. On the other hand, Oprah Winfrey's book club selections are the typically excellent, particularly when you contrast them to others in popular culture.

ReputationRep:
    Oh look, evantej said everything I wanted to say!

ReputationRep:
    They are rich and famous so they are obviously doing something right. I'm not interested in any old book that they read, I'm interested in the ones that inspired them or taught them something.

ReputationRep:
    I can state with some conviction that The Alchemist, along with pretty much all of Paulo Coelho's oeuvre, is BULL****.

ReputationRep:
    Oh there's a nice website with lists of the top 10 favourite books of (relatively?) famous contemporary authors, you can browse it here. Not that you often come across a genuinely interesting or original list, but if you want to find out what contemporary writers read, it's still pretty cool.

ReputationRep:
    I've just finished reading 'Rich dad poor dad' and 'Rich dad poor dad 2 the cashflow quadrant' and I believe they are two of the most important books I have ever read. I fully recommend reading them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christien)
    I can state with some conviction that The Alchemist, along with pretty much all of Paulo Coelho's oeuvre, is BULL****.
    Fair enough but I really liked the Alchemist. Haven't read any of his other stuff so can't comment on that...

ReputationRep:
    I cannot agree more.

(Original post by andyyy)
      Oh there's a nice website with lists of the top 10 favourite books of (relatively?) famous contemporary authors, you can browse it here. Not that you often come across a genuinely interesting or original list, but if you want to find out what contemporary writers read, it's still pretty cool.
      DFW's list there is a piss-take, making fun (I suspect) of those kinds of "top ten" lists.

ReputationRep:
      Craig Ferguson is reading Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel if anyone is interested

ReputationRep:
      tsk tsk yeah though I liked the book Eleven Minutes and the story and how it was displayed about the prostitute...but then I read The Alchemist and was soooo bored and I had to write a review about it since I chose it and when my teacher was like "so do u like it?" to which I replied "I dunno, I think it is nice that he is trying to follow his dream but otherwise it is just crap" and she was like "wow, interesting I always get students who choose it and love it so I'll be looking forward to ur review since I personally HATE it!" xD I got an A in that class

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 15, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.