Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I have applied to do Law with Criminology at Aberystwyth and am having second thoughts. I haven't received an acknowledgement yet or anything (this has nothing to do with my wanting to change, just background information).

I am really interested in sociology and have applied for law and sociology at cardiff and warwick and thought that criminology would be similar so it would fit in with my personal statement; and I am enjoying the crime and deviance module we are doing in sociology.

Now I am starting to think that law and criminology would block me in to focusing on criminal law, also, as I think about it, I am not sure I want to spend the next three years learning about criminology. Originally I wanted to do Law with Politics at Aber and am returning to that thought. Would it be possible to swap courses if I get an offer? As I haven't yet received an acknowledgement and it hasn't been fourteen days yet, I could alter my choice to law&pol or law&InterPol but my personal statement doesn't mention much about politics in it.

Simple: Can I swap course if I get an offer?

ps. I have posted more in the Aberystwyth Uni forum than anywhere else I think, maybe thats saying somewhere about where I want to go. (:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adam1502)
    Hey, I have applied to do Law with Criminology at Aberystwyth and am having second thoughts. I haven't received an acknowledgement yet or anything (this has nothing to do with my wanting to change, just background information).

I am really interested in sociology and have applied for law and sociology at cardiff and warwick and thought that criminology would be similar so it would fit in with my personal statement; and I am enjoying the crime and deviance module we are doing in sociology.

Now I am starting to think that law and criminology would block me in to focusing on criminal law, also, as I think about it, I am not sure I want to spend the next three years learning about criminology. Originally I wanted to do Law with Politics at Aber and am returning to that thought. Would it be possible to swap courses if I get an offer? As I haven't yet received an acknowledgement and it hasn't been fourteen days yet, I could alter my choice to law&pol or law&InterPol but my personal statement doesn't mention much about politics in it.

ps. I have posted more in the Aberystwyth Uni forum than anywhere else I think, maybe thats saying somewhere about where I want to go. (:
    Contact the university, let them know about your dilemma. They might understand and tell you to send them an updated PS, or offer to change it regardless of your statement.

Really, best option should de facto be to contact the university in cases like these.

ReputationRep:
    The University are pretty cool about letting you swap when you actually arrive here. Particularly if the entrance requirements are the same, it should be very easy.

I know someone who swapped from History to Drama, despite not having done it at A Level :P

ReputationRep:

Hi Adam. This is a very busy time for the admission tutors, hence the delay in getting your application seen to. They always try to do it within 4 weeks, so hang in there.

In general, switching course options can be done. It would be good to try and do this asap before all of the places within InterPol fill up, so ideally try and sort it when your offer comes through.

The best thing to do would be to email the InterPol department and indicate your desire to do a joint honours or major/minor with them. Perhaps write a mini personal statement with a bit of background regarding your interest in the subject. If approved, their admissions tutor would be able to set the wheels in motion for amending your offer. The undergrad admissions tutor is Elaine Lowe - [email protected]

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies guys. I know InterPol is popular at Aber so will email about it.

Are you sure I should email InterPol and not the Law department? Because the law would still be the major...
    Should I wait and see if I get an offer first because it is very possible that I won't, I'm targetted AAB so that isn't a problem but my PS probably wasn't great. If I don't get an offer for Law/crim then this won't really matter anyway.

Thanks again guys.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies guys. I know InterPol is popular at Aber so will email about it.

Are you sure I should email InterPol and not the Law department? Because the law would still be the major...
    Should I wait and see if I get an offer first because it is very possible that I won't, I'm targetted AAB so that isn't a problem but my PS probably wasn't great. If I don't get an offer for Law/crim then this won't really matter anyway.

Thanks again guys.
    The Law department would need to be told, but you would first need to find out if InterPol are happy to take you as a minor. Wait for your offer to come in first, and take things from there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AberInsider)
    The Law department would need to be told, but you would first need to find out if InterPol are happy to take you as a minor. Wait for your offer to come in first, and take things from there
    Hey I got an offer, 300 points. You said to email the Head of the Department of InterPol, should I go for this straight away or is there an admissions tutor I should email first? -- I'm struggling to think of what to put in the email, any ideas? You mentioned doing a mini personal statement, should I add one in straight away or see if I get a reply first and then send it in an email upon reply. Thanks guys.

ReputationRep:
    Hey I got an offer, 300 points. You said to email the Head of the Department of InterPol, should I go for this straight away or is there an admissions tutor I should email first? -- I'm struggling to think of what to put in the email, any ideas? You mentioned doing a mini personal statement, should I add one in straight away or see if I get a reply first and then send it in an email upon reply. Thanks guys.
    Undergraduate admissions for InterPol is Elaine Lowe (email: [email protected]) I would email her.

ReputationRep:
    Email the Undergraduate Admissions Tutor, and explain why would want to change your course. In this request, add in some details about why you like the subject or your background in it, and that should be enough at this stage.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.