Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So. I was initially applying to Oxford, UCL, Durham, Warwick and St. Andrews for English, but I've come to realise that the pressures of IB have actually really affected me and I don't focus on English at all like I used to. I've made the decision to take a year out, just to be free to read and learn to love English again.

My tutor has encouraged me to still apply this year for deferred entry as you never know what will happen. I have a gap year planned, but I may decide I actually want to go to university sooner rather than later (what with the fees situation), or I might just hit my head on a steel girder.

The choices I have right now are:
    York
    Bristol
    Sussex
    KCL
    Exeter

but I'm in love with Goldsmiths. Not as much as York, but I am. I'm thinking of replacing either KCL or Bristol with Goldy but I don't know which. Or even if I should. I'm completely and utterly stuck. Any thoughts on the general situation or if you go to one of these unis yourself feel free to save me

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I graduated from York a couple of years ago.

i don't know much about the IB but i noticed you had English, biology and visual arts at higher level. Don't know if this will impact on your chances but I think it would if those were A2s.

York, Bristol, KCL and maybe Exeter are high risk choices for English. Sussex perhaps a little less. From that point of view, it might be wise to substitute one of your choices for Goldsmiths. Especially if you really like it, it would make an excellent insurance.

In the end, there is no point in applying to unis/courses that you wouldn't be happy with. Bristol and KCL have better overall reputations than either Sussex or Goldsmith and I think that would impact on your job chances afterwards. So, in your place, if I had a realistic chance at York/Bristol/KCL, I think I would swap Goldsmiths for Sussex.

I do remember the feeling of falling out of love with literature during sixth form. But you have all summer to get that back.

Unless you come from a very well off background, I think you'd be mad not to apply for 2011. I am pretty sure that almost all of your choices will want to charge the full £9k in fees for 2012. that would mean leaving uni with an extra £16.5k of debt for a year out reading!

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peachmelba)
    Unless you come from a very well off background, I think you'd be mad not to apply for 2011. I am pretty sure that almost all of your choices will want to charge the full £9k in fees for 2012. that would mean leaving uni with an extra £16.5k of debt for a year out reading!
    This is a really good point. If you want to take a gap year, it might be cheaper to take it after uni, as stupid as that sounds.

As bleak as it may sound, don't worry too much about not loving reading before embarking on an English degree. The amount you'll have to read will pretty much suck the romance out of it anyways (although it's hugely rewarding and, mostly in retrospect but a lot of times in the moment, fun).

If you do decide to take a gap year, seriously consider putting a Scottish university and a Welsh university down on your 5. That is, unless you're confident of handling the costs. Cardiff and the triumvirate of Scots unis are great.

ReputationRep:
    Brizol fo' sure. If you love Goldy then put it down, why go to somewhere you won't like?

ReputationRep:
    I agree about the Scottish thing...if you're worried about money then it seems a sensible option!

But I'm biased...I'm at St Andrews and I LOVE it!

However...tuition fees are paid by student loans...don't worry about it now coz it actually doesn't amount to much when you think about paying back over a long period of time, especially when its a student loan...

ReputationRep:
    on't worry about it now coz it actually doesn't amount to much when you think about paying back over a long period of time, especially when its a student loan...
    Possibly the silliest remark I have read on TSR

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 1, 2010
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.