Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    All the local shops are being taken over by supermarkets

All the local chemists are being taken over by Boots

HMV. Enough said. Not to mention Waterstones is now the only bookstore on the high street, which also happens to be owned by HMV.

Half the high street is owned by 'Sir' Phillip Green.

Whatever next?
    • PS Helper

(Original post by dd4483)
    All the local shops are being taken over by supermarkets
    No they're not.

All the local chemists are being taken over by Boots
    Not they're not.

HMV. Enough said.
    That's definitely not enough said.

Not to mention Waterstones is now the only bookstore on the high street, which also happens to be owned by HMV.
    No it's not.

Half the high street is owned by 'Sir' Phillip Green.
    No it's not

Whatever next?
    I'm not sure... you writing for a tabloid?

ReputationRep:
    If we are playing monopoly can I be the car?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuodai)
    No they're not.

Not they're not.

No it's not.

No it's not

I sense you have a vested interest.
    • PS Helper

I sense you have a vested interest.
    You sense wrong, all I did was match your unjustified scepticism. I'd like to see local businesses thriving more, so I agree with the gist of what you were saying, but I thought your post was way too much of an exaggeration to merit much discussion.

ReputationRep:
    No they're not.

Not they're not.

No it's not.

No it's not

Wether you like the OP or not, Waterstones is a subsidary of the HMV group and Tesco has been renowned for it's aggressive store placement, particularly with their 'local' branches.

I wouldn't go as far as saying that this is a monopoly situation, however. There are many big supermarkets... an oligopolistic market.

We cannot forget that Amazon is far more popular now for books than waterstones is. Saying that, you can buy books in many other online retailers. Again not a monopoly.

There is still superdrug to contend with Boots as well as the pharmacy departments located within hypermarkets (which sounds a little odd, I know). So I can say that again, this is not a monopoly.

OP, I believe you're getting the terms monopoly and oligopoly mixed up. Larger organisations can often provide better services than small chemists or bookstores for the simple fact of economies of scale. Large organisations can order large levels of stock with an efficient operations line; providing low costs and low products towards the consumer.

As long as their isn't a monopoly, companies compete with each other to win over consumers... which is what is happening right now. The government doesn't allow monopolies (if we forget about healthcare and education... of which I'm not stating my thoughts).
    • PS Helper

(Original post by Welsh_insomniac)
    Wether you like the OP or not, Waterstones is a subsidary of the HMV group and Tesco has been renowned for it's aggressive store placement, particularly with their 'local' branches.
    I clarify that the "no it's not" which you're presumably talking about was actually referring to the claim that Waterstones is the only book store on the high street.

ReputationRep:
    I clarify that the "no it's not" which you're presumably talking about was actually referring to the claim that Waterstones is the only book store on the high street.
    My mistake, I apologise as I did seem to come off a little strong.

ReputationRep:
    No they're not.

Not they're not.

No it's not.

No it's not

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterstone's

It is fool!!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Whoa, I never realised the pronunciation is 'water-stuns'. Well boy, do I feel stupid.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.