Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all. I have a very complicated problem with my University Graduation, which is really my fault but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas to help resolve this?

In January of this year I missed an exam for family reasons, only to find out I would miss the Graduation in July. I completed my studies, however there was a bit of coursework which I did submit late, but managed to submit it with mitigating circumstances. So I thought this would be fine and I would graduate in December with all my work done.

Then, I found out when my results came out in August after I completed my exam which I missed, that my coursework was not there?

I contacted my University, and the teacher who's lesson it was. She allowed me to submit my coursework by the end of September because of the problem which should never of happend. Here comes the bit which is my fault.

In August I managed to get a job in computing, which is what I studied. I was snowed under with work and was working late, trying to impress my boss and hopefully become better in the company, etc.

I then missed my end of September deadline for submitting my coursework, I contacted my teacher to appologies and I sent in my coursework.

However, my teacher said it was too late and I would miss graduation in December. I have sent an e-mail to her to ask what I can do now, but I have had no reply for about a week now. My Graduation is in 2 days!

What can I do now? I have missed both graduations for my year to graduate?

Is it over for me? What are my options?

Can I graduate in July of next year?

Please Help,

Thanks You,
    Chris.

P.S. I go to Bradford University if this helps.

ReputationRep:
    I dont think theres much you can do, you should be able to attend next years graduation instead.

Your graduation is in 2days time and you want to graduate, although you have unfinished work??? . . Don't know if you are aware, but well for my graduation I had to order my gown well in advance, tickets sold out fast and all work needs to be completed and passed before you can graduate. IMO regardless of you wanting to graduate in 2days, you're going to have to graduate next year. You've left it all farrrr too late to even try and argue your case. But even then I don't think you'd have much leg to stand on. :/

ReputationRep:
      Yea that's what I thought. It's just annoying that they haven't replyed to me yet. It's a good job I managed to get into somewhere without graduating yet.

Do you know if they will bring my results that I already got over for July Graduation? Adding my score for the coursework I submitted?

Thanks tbm.

ReputationRep:
      Yea I wasn't expecting to be able to actual attend my graduation. Was just wondering if I could get my degree anyway.

If I am able to go in July next year that will be great for me.

My teacher did say I could still submit my work, but she diddn't say much more. So I replyed to her, just got no response yet because I didn't know what she meant.

Thanks.

Well try and argue your case, and see what happens. As you never know . . .

Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
        Yea i will do.

Thanks mate.

ReputationRep:
        Ok. So I was able to get contact off my teacher and she informed me that I can graduate in July of next year for my problem I said above.

However, they want a 'mitigating circumstances' form off me to say why I was unable to submit my work on time before the end of September when my teacher allowed me to.

Does anyone have any ideas for a good excuse to put on my 'mitigating circumstances' form that will work?

Thanks, Chris.

ReputationRep:
        A mitigating circumstances form is not just something you can make up.
        They will want a proper excuse such as written proof of an illness from a doctor otherwise your grade will be capped or work automatically failed.

This isn't some trivial thing as you've had a massive advantage over other students who have had to work hard to meet the deadlines. You better be good at telling lies.

ReputationRep:
        You should have handed in your work on time. Have fun not graduating.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
      Useful resources
      Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.