Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Problems with reimbursement of DSA Notetakers Allowance Watch

ReputationRep:
    Im fortunate enough to have an allowance for a Notetaker included in my DSA. I employ my own, she invoices me and I then pay her. I submit her invoice to Student Finance who take up to 3-4 weeks to process the invoice. When it has been processed, it then takes another week to reach my bank account.

Our original agreement in her contract was that she was paid on a weekly basis. The reason I pay her, then reclaim the money is that I dont think it fair that she has to wait anything up to 5 weeks for payment for work she has done as she has a young family and bills to pay too.

The problem I am having is that as I am having to wait so long for reimbursement, it is causing me severe financial hardship. There is no way of contacting the DSA department by phone, only email. I have emailed them countless times to advise them that the delays are causing me much stress but to no avail. This month I cannot pay my rent as I am waiting for invoices totalling over £800 to be reimbursed. Can anyone help and advise what action I could take please?

ReputationRep:
    Pay her the same way you receive the allowance. DSA won't change to fit your circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    Can you make the arrangement through your university? They should be able to cope with paying weekly (consider paying monthly though) and claiming it back on your DSA funding.

ReputationRep:
    I trust you're also paying NI contributions for this notetaker yourself, as you are employing her.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 12, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.