Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

I'm going on exchange to Herts this coming January, this will be my first time in the UK. Im coming from Canada. Do any of you have any tips or advice you can give me? Any opinions on the school? thanks so much!!

ReputationRep:
    As someone suffering from it at the moment. A few words of advice for your first 3 days: Beware the jet lag.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tbear)
    Hi everyone!

I'm going on exchange to Herts this coming January, this will be my first time in the UK. Im coming from Canada. Do any of you have any tips or advice you can give me? Any opinions on the school? thanks so much!!
    Hi there tbear!

All the way from Canada! that's a long way lol XD anyway, there are a lot of people in the Herts forum who can tell you all about the uni and its surroundings and there is a lot of info as well, I'm going to do a bit of copying and pasting of what I told others before anyway if you got any specific questions you can always PM me or some of the others or just make a thread =)

What are you planning on studying at herts?

Obviously, I can only speak for myself. I am now in my second year and have always been in a friendly environment. I have great teachers that are easily approachable and are available to you most of the time. I don't know how it is in other departments but in the Humanities department both social and academic support is very good. You can always ask for help if you are stuck with your essay or if you just want some stranger to look at it (a stranger who knows about academic writing of course ). Also if you are just not feeling well, as in you don't know if you made the right choices there is a lot of support and people you can talk to. If you need more support on one particular subject there are also mentors in place who can help you out.

Hatfield itself isn't the best place in the world, we don't need to pretend it is but generally I do enjoy living in Hatfield really. It is close to london and there are enough places around to visit and I feel there is something for most people really. Hertfordshire University is quite a new university and is climbing up the league tables (for those who care) every year. UCL didn't become one of the best universities overnight either, it takes time. Whereas most people might refer to Hertfordshire as an 'average' uni at the moment perhaps in a 'few' years we will be in the top 40 or 30.

Overall, I never regretted going to Hertfordshire University, I am enjoying my time here and studying something I find really interesting!

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

Thanks so much for the information

I'm still waiting on my official offer letter from Herts, but i've been in touch with their international officer.

I'm studying Business with a major in Marketing. I'm not sure exactly what classes i'll be taking at Herts, but probably Business related!

And yup, all the way from Canada. I'm pretty excited for the change.

I can't think of any specific questions right now, but i will post here if so

ReputationRep:
    I hope I'm not intruding! I'm Canadian too and I'm going to Herts in September. How did you find it? I'm studying English Literature and Philosophy.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.