Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

do you take yourself off facebook when applying for a job? Watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: what do you do to facebook when applying for jobs?
    leave it as it is
    50.62%
    massively restrict access to your profile
    46.91%
    temporarily disable your account
    2.47%

ReputationRep:
    when applying for a job do you...
    - leave facebook as it is
    - massively restrict access
    - temporarily disable your account

ReputationRep:
    Depends if you have anything REALLY bad on there..

ReputationRep:
    leave it as it is.... I already have it set so that only friends can see what's on my profile. I cannot understand why someone would disable their account because of this :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    It's already massively restricted.

ReputationRep:
    Surely you just stop yourself being searchable and only allow friends to view your profile? Hardly "massive" restriction..

ReputationRep:
    You don't even really need to make yourself unsearchable, just make sure that your profile can only be viewed by friends and your picture isn't you vomiting in the street holding an empty bottle of vodka and only wearing Rainbow Bright themed legwarmers. Easy.

ReputationRep:
    TBH, it depends what job you are going for. I am working in a sixth form college and at debenhams over my gap year and neither have done a search as far as I know. Your employer would have to be one in a million to actually even try checking for it. As far as I know all they can do without you massively unrestricting your account is to see your profile picture.

ReputationRep:
    We checked out a girls MySpace (this was a few years ago) who was applying at our work and there was a picture of her making out with another girl. This heavily increased her chances of getting the job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aiden56)
    TBH, it depends what job you are going for. I am working in a sixth form college and at debenhams over my gap year and neither have done a search as far as I know. Your employer would have to be one in a million to actually even try checking for it. As far as I know all they can do without you massively unrestricting your account is to see your profile picture.
    my dad checks the facebook pages of every single applicant on the shortlists for jobs... and has decided against hiring a few people based on stuff he's seen

and well, my profile is currently set so friends of friends and networks have pretty much unrestricted access, so i will be largely restricting it down or potentially disabling it when in a few weeks when i start sending cv's out.

ReputationRep:
    My security is already pretty high. I don't understand why everyone's isn't?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noodles!)
    My security is already pretty high. I don't understand why everyone's isn't?
    it really annoys me when people have high securities set.

lets say my friends tagged in a picture in one of their friends albums and i want to comment on it. if the person who put the picture up has high security settings i cant comment.
    thats not the only reason, but generally it's times like that when somebodys high security settings stops me doing something i think i should be able to do

ReputationRep:
    Its called privacy settings

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand setting it to friends of friends, as if this is somehow going to stop complete randoms looking at it. I mean, I'm sure ONE of Bob's 784 Facebook friends is someone who knows you, but...

ReputationRep:
    I don't know why anyone's Facebook would be open for non-friends to see anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I don't change anything about it.

- For a start, I have a very common name and thus the chances of anyone finding me on there is unlikely.
    - Plus, I have a 'proper' email for job/university applications etc, which differs from the hotmail one I use on social networking sites, so they wouldn't find me by searching for my email address either.
    - My security settings are pretty high, so only friends can see my wall/photos etc.

All that said, there is nothing on there that I would feel the need to hide and I often have people from work on my friends list.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicerao)
    I don't understand setting it to friends of friends, as if this is somehow going to stop complete randoms looking at it. I mean, I'm sure ONE of Bob's 784 Facebook friends is someone who knows you, but...
    I completely agree with this. Why would you want your friends friends looking at your profile? If they know you, they can request to be added!

Plus most people already have 'friends' who they barely know and just added because its an acquaintance and will make them seem far more popular. This annoys me. I go through quarterly cullings, its so much fun

ReputationRep:
    Mine's private apart from the profile picture, which isn't anything bad so it doesn't matter. That said, I've 'liked' some pretty dubious things which I wouldn't want an employer to see.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mother_eve3088)
    I completely agree with this. Why would you want your friends friends looking at your profile? If they know you, they can request to be added!

Plus most people already have 'friends' who they barely know and just added because its an acquaintance and will make them seem far more popular. This annoys me. I go through quarterly cullings, its so much fun
    having low security settings means if you put up a photo of a friend, then all their friends can still comment on it. otherwise it's restricted to mutual friends, which well is annoying.

i have mine set hugely open at the moment, theres nothing on there i want to hide from people (although some of it really isn't suitable for applying to jobs). it's also allowed some of my girlfriends friends to have a stalk of me without having to awkwardly add me without ever having met/spoken to me.

quarterly cullings is good fun! we started a thing here where you have to delete a facebook friend every single day. (obviously after a few months you have to stop....) but still its good fun
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    No, only my friends can see my profile anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Leave it as it is: massively restricted.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.