Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    HEyyy everyone is there anyone with taking bptc this year?im stuck with the application dnt knw how 2 fill in exactl! actually im a bit nervous.need some moral support.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asuraiya84)
    HEyyy everyone is there anyone with taking bptc this year?im stuck with the application dnt knw how 2 fill in exactl! actually im a bit nervous.need some moral support.
    I am doing the BPTC at the moment, what's up?

ReputationRep:
    im just nervous about filling in da application form.

ReputationRep:
    do you have any suggestions on how i shud write my application?

ReputationRep:
    What questions are they asking??

ReputationRep:
    they have askd me to giv eg wen i've quickly analysed accurately a large number of written info. uuhhmm i have always helped my father in his office documentations although its nothing related to law. so im nt sure how to present this in a better way.can u suggest me?

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully you already realise that the application form must be written in standard English.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SevenStars)
    Hopefully you already realise that the application form must be written in standard English.
    +1

Surely a student thinking about doing the BPTC, who already holds a degree, should be able to fill out a form.

Your language doesn't suggest you've left secondary school yet.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all. It was kind of you all to help me. And yes I am just about to complete my LL.B this year,and I am quite confident that hopefully I have all that in me that takes to be trained as barrister and so I can make it happen. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    No offence but if your spoken English is as poor as your written English appears to be, you won't make it as a barrister.

People generally respond to such comments with 'this is just the internet', but frankly, if you can't be bothered to write properly on a computer screen, where the number of characters is not limited, when you are asking about a profession such as law, where academics, standard of English and ability to communicate are so crucial to success, then it's unlikely you will be able to become a lawyer of any description, let alone as a barrister.

This is based on your other thread too - where you are asking for answers to 'why do you want to be a barrister'. If you don't know how to answer something so basic, then you don't want to be a barrister.

ReputationRep:
    No offence but if your spoken English is as poor as your written English appears to be, you won't make it as a barrister.

People generally respond to such comments with 'this is just the internet', but frankly, if you can't be bothered to write properly on a computer screen, where the number of characters is not limited, when you are asking about a profession such as law, where academics, standard of English and ability to communicate are so crucial to success, then it's unlikely you will be able to become a lawyer of any description, let alone as a barrister.

This is based on your other thread too - where you are asking for answers to 'why do you want to be a barrister'. If you don't know how to answer something so basic, then you don't want to be a barrister.
    With my due respect to who ever you are I actually did not expect that any of you are just going write my application for me here, I do obviously appreciate that. It is the fact that i am doing my graduation as an external student,so I was just concerned about a few things since there are some small fundamental things that must be kept in mind while filling in the form,certain things are spelled or just spoken or written in different style. in different countries so I was just hoping to get advice from a LAW student who will be applying for BPTC this year. And besides,for your kind information if I did not have had a well standard english skill then I could not and WOULD not have had finished my LL.B. Good day to anyone and everyone.

ReputationRep:
    Seven Stars
    I have just gone through one of your posts explaining a bit about the BPTC application and that was kind of helpful,though quite a bit only. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    With my due respect to who ever you are I actually did not expect that any of you are just going write my application for me here, I do obviously appreciate that. It is the fact that i am doing my graduation as an external student,so I was just concerned about a few things since there are some small fundamental things that must be kept in mind while filling in the form,certain things are spelled or just spoken or written in different style. in different countries so I was just hoping to get advice from a LAW student who will be applying for BPTC this year. And besides,for your kind information if I did not have had a well standard english skill then I could not and WOULD not have had finished my LL.B. Good day to anyone and everyone.
    Well standard of English indeed.

ReputationRep:
    The bottom line is that your level of English, as exampled here and in your other posts on the subject, would indicate to me that it is not of a high enough standard to compete in a profession that is based on communication, both written and spoken.

I would suggest that a 'small fundamental thing' to keep in mind about training to be a barrister is that it is an extremely competitive profession to enter, and each chambers receives an abundance of applications for each pupillage available. Bearing that in mind, if I were on a pupillage committee, an application showing a poor standard of English would inevitably end up in the 'no thanks' pile. It is no achievement whatsoever to manage to secure a place on the BPTC.

Now, that might be an issue for you to accept - but having drawn your attention to the poor standard of your English in these posts, you have not done anything to correct it - which arguably means that you think it is fine just as it is. It is not. The mere fact you have completed the LLB is not an indicator of your command of the English language.

I am not being mean, just pointing out something that should have been obvious to you, but clearly was not: becoming a barrister REQUIRES an excellent command of the English language, and if you, as a prospective applicant, cannot take that criticism on board and adjust your writing accordingly, then there is little point in asking for advice (and yes, I am aware the advice you were asking for was in relation to specific answers to help you apply for the BPTC, but inherent in that is the requirement to write in standard English).

It's a fact. You do not have to like it.

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, the language has changed from the text speak of the original post to more standard English. However, it is still full of grammatical mistakes, in pretty much every sentence OP. That does not mean you won't get onto the BPTC - the course providers will be happy to take your money - nor does it necessarily mean that you won't pass. You would never get a pupillage in this country though, writing phrases such as "that was kind of helpful,though quite a bit only", "With my due respect to who ever you are", "I actually did not expect that any of you are" etc. etc. If you are planning to enter practice in a different country, then of course there is no problem.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you everyone. And, well I am not disliking it at all. See! what you guys are doing is worth calling help. I think criticism is the best help that someone can ever do. Truth is always harsh!!! And as human nature my previous posts were just a response to the harsh truth, which i could not actually absorb. And oh yes! I am definitely working on to improve my english proficiency. Wish me luck!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Well, that's a more positive reaction.

Good luck with improving your English.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys
    I'am applying for the Bar this year, can anyone suggest some good stuff to put as answers to the questions. Here are the questions:-

Q1) Please detail any mini-pupillage or other bar related experience that you have undertaken?

Q2) Please explain why you want to train as a barrister?

Q3) Please provide specific examples of your ability to quickly and accurately analyse large amounts of written information?

Q4) please provide specific examples of when you have displayed exceptional communication and/or interpersonal skills?

Q5) Please provide specific examples of how you have developed your advocacy and public speaking skills, preferably since the age of 18?

Q6) please describe a time when you have been particularly under pressure and how you organised your work?

Q7) Please include any information you feel may be relevant here which has not been covered by the questions in this application?

I have done:- mooting, debating, work experience with 3 local solicitors firms, marshalling a magistrate judge, Lots of public speaking and have won 1st in it. Know lots of different languages...

any help woud be kindly appreciated

ReputationRep:
    You should be able to answer all of those questions with relative ease if you have done the things you state you have done.

ReputationRep:
    You should be able to answer all of those questions with relative ease if you have done the things you state you have done.
    Exactly. And on his other thread, he requests for an answer that sounds professionally written. No offence, but this are the people that give the BPTC a bad reputation.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.