Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Bags under eyes and tiredness :( Watch

Hi. Basically for ages now i've had quite bags under my eyes and it's starting to get to me. I've had a few people ask me if i've got black eyes, if i've been in fights, got bruises etc. Also, people seem to comment 'oh you look tired today' quite a lot. As a background, i'm a 20 year old male university student and I pretty much get eight hours sleep a night usually from 12pm-8am at weekdays and maybe more at the weekends.

I know this next bit might sound stupid, but, I downloaded an ipod app, 'sleep cycle alarm clock', (which got good reviews) to determine my sleeping pattern. After two weeks of using it, it showed my sleeping patterns were MAJORLY disrupted. I've kind of pinned this disrupted sleep to why I always look, and feel tired.

Now i've tried loads of things to try and fix this but none of them seem to have worked:
    I'm not stressed, my room is clean and tidy, I don't use my laptop or tv before bed, tried not to eat or drink before bed, tried exercising beforehand, tried making my diet healthier, tried sleeping with the window open, tried sleeping with a background noise of a fan, and I even tried sleeping naked! :rolleyes:
    but as you can guess, nothing worked!

In short, I was wondering what other beneficial ideas there are to try? Whether people have found any kind of methods/techniques, vitamins, or anything that has helped?! Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    1. You have to keep a routine, meaning you can't have lie-ins at the weekend (you wake up at the time you usually do on week days) and you ALWAYS go to bed at the same time each night. Maybe go a little earlier, since I get over 9 hours each night and I still feel tired.

2. A film taught me that placing two spoons in the freezer for a few minutes, then pressing the backs of these cold spoons to your dark circles will alleviate them.

3. Make sure your diet is good and healthy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Accalia)
    I get over 9 hours each night and I still feel tired.
    Apparently anything over 8 hours can be the same as getting under 6 hours. Thus leaving you feeling tired.

I have major dark circles, when I don't wear make up it looks like i've been punched in the face.

ReputationRep:
    A 'B complex' vitamin would be pretty good for energy, but if your not taking a one a day multivitamin then start now, start with 'epersat' is a good all natural liquid tonic and when your finished just move onto a one a day tab. You may have an Iron deficiency if your tired all the time, but you shouldn't take an iron supplement unless you are deficient, so check that out. Make sure your diet is good, consuming enough protein regularly and good carbs along with plenty of veg, that goes without saying. Drink plenty of water.

There are loads of factors that can affect sleep, firstly your diet, if you are consuming caffeine cut it out of your diet completely, and if you won't cut it out completely at least dont consume any caffeine after about 4 in the evening, as it could be affecting your sleep. Now you could try Valerian root capsules to help you sleep, or just drink some cheap chamomile tea before bed, it might help.

I'm not entirely sure what to use for the bags under the eyes, maybe vitamin E cream.

Thanks very much for all the current posts, any more opinions?

ReputationRep:
    You need more carbohydrates, and carbohydrates give you more... energy! And if your tired.. you need energy!

You should eat cereals, and any food you buy will have a nutritional table on check it out.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm I wish I knew the answer to this cos I have the same problems and is even more frustrating cos I'm a trainee optician!
    The old fashioned sliced cucumber or cold used tea bags over the eyes helps some people, so might be worth giving a go.
    Other than that, keep a balanced diet, drink lots of water, keep fit, cut down on computer use, have regular sleep patterns.
    Hiding them the best you can with makeup is another option!
    Will let you know when I come up with a cure

Everyone wishes they had them.

ReputationRep:
      You might feel a bit homo but if it's really bothering you boil two teabags, let them cool off and place them over your eyes for 10-15 minutes. You will look like a **** but hey it works. Just find somewhere quiet to do it.

Make sure the teabags you use are caffeinated because they will contain the important ingredient Tannin with is an astringent with anti inflammatory properties. Black of green is fine (green tea is so nice to drink anyway).

I'm sure there's soe sort of caffeine based eye roll on for this too. Considering it's nearing 3 AM I'm probably gonna have them now :/

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by simtacular)
      Hmm I wish I knew the answer to this cos I have the same problems and is even more frustrating cos I'm a trainee optician!
      The old fashioned sliced cucumber or cold used tea bags over the eyes helps some people, so might be worth giving a go.
      Other than that, keep a balanced diet, drink lots of water, keep fit, cut down on computer use, have regular sleep patterns.
      Hiding them the best you can with makeup is another option!
      Will let you know when I come up with a cure
      Whaaaaaaat, you literally have no bags! :cry2:

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 1, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.