The Student Room Group

Parents + Interviews = ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChemistBoy
The helicopter parent is a fully fledged part of the open day/interview procedure now and universities know which way their bread is buttered and provide information and activities for parents.

Of course I would prefer to go on my own, if I could. My parents only came with me if I couldn't get to a university by any other means.

There's a huge difference between a helicopter parent and someone that's interested in what their child is doing.
Reply 21
three of my choices have the possibility of an interview

in one ill be going with my sister because she lives in the city
in another ill be meeting up with a friend first because I have never been to this city
another choices Ill be taking my parents because I know no one here and am unframiliar with the location
nobody is allowed to go in with you quite obviously
but I think its good to have moral support
take her
Original post by TheSownRose
There's a huge difference between a helicopter parent and someone that's interested in what their child is doing.

You can be interested from afar.
Original post by ChemistBoy
You can be interested from afar.

I fail to see how taking an active part in your child's life is a bad thing, as long as you're not ruling it.
Reply 24
It's a constant source of amazement to me how many otherwise functioning people get into their 20s still saddled with the classic teenage attitude of "oh my god my parents are sooooooo embarrassing, I wish they'd leave me alone". FFS, these people brought you up and now they're losing you, you should do everything you can to make your moving away from home as easy on them as possible.

Personally I always thought the kids who insisted on going to interviews without their parents were the ones who needed to grow up a little bit. Still immature enough to have a chip on your shoulder about your independence from your parents at 18? Still too selfish to actually consider their feelings? Oh dear.
Original post by Charlski
I was interviewed at Queen Mary, I went alone and am glad I did.

Why, because you didn't get in? :teehee:
Original post by py0alb
It's a constant source of amazement to me how many otherwise functioning people get into their 20s still saddled with the classic teenage attitude of "oh my god my parents are sooooooo embarrassing, I wish they'd leave me alone". FFS, these people brought you up and now they're losing you, you should do everything you can to make your moving away from home as easy on them as possible.

Personally I always thought the kids who insisted on going to interviews without their parents were the ones who needed to grow up a little bit. Still immature enough to have a chip on your shoulder about your independence from your parents at 18? Still too selfish to actually consider their feelings? Oh dear.

Completely agree with this. I could have gone to the majority of open days by myself ... but my parents were interested in the place I might be spending three years of my life in, and I had nothing to prove about my independence.
Reply 27
If the Uni has an event for parents to go along to e.g. A talk/tour then take her with you but NOT into the interview.
Also maybe you shouldn't enter the University with her as I expect they'll be judging you from the moment you walk through the doors, if you walk in alone it may show that you're independent and can do things on your own. Whereas if you walk in with your mum it may show that you need/rely on her a lot :smile:
Parinterviews.
Original post by TaffyBexx
If the Uni has an event for parents to go along to e.g. A talk/tour then take her with you but NOT into the interview.
Also maybe you shouldn't enter the University with her as I expect they'll be judging you from the moment you walk through the doors, if you walk in alone it may show that you're independent and can do things on your own. Whereas if you walk in with your mum it may show that you need/rely on her a lot :smile:

What do you think they do, have cameras that follow you? :rolleyes:
There's nothing wrong with taking a parent with you, but they won't be allowed in the interviewing room. I have an interview for Loughborough on the 15th so I know how you feel :tongue:
There's a sign in my medical school at the moment: "A100 Interviews- Waiting area ->> - No parents beyond this sign" :lol:
Original post by TaffyBexx

I've always though going in with your parents shows that they have an active interest in your future and are actually more willing to let you go.

My mum will be coming with me, mainly for the transport, then obviously I'll go alone to an interview, my mum can come look around the university if she wants to, or leave me. Up to her.
Original post by FattyInNeed
You can take her to the uni, but whilst you get interviewed, she'll have to wait outside.

Yeah- take her to the uni for moral support but i doubt you will be able to take her in the interview room- even if you were allowed, i wouldnttake her in if i were you.
Original post by CoffeeStinks
Well no I wasn't actually.:colondollar:

I was thinking about this the other day, so don't worry! :biggrin:
Reply 35
I had issues with my mum coming to the uni, let alone in the room!
Reply 36
Original post by CoffeeStinks
Well no I wasn't actually.:colondollar:

What you should do is take your mum into the interview room and then whisper the answers to the questions in her ear for her to pass on to the interviewers on your behalf. :biggrin:
Reply 37
Personally I would avoid taking them to the interview with you. My mum drove me to mine, basically because I wouldn't have known how to get there otherwise...but at the first one she sat in the car and then walked around the town for a while.

Although I guess it depends what the parent themselves are like, because...
At the second one when we went in and handed in our documents she kept trying to do things for me which was nice, but made me appear slightly childish. e.g. when she wanted to attach my name badge for me.
It retrospect it was pretty funny I suppose but felt like a fool at the time!

And no way will they be allowed into the actual interview with you.
Reply 38
Original post by py0alb

Are you serious? At no point did it ever occur to either me or my parents for them to come to interviews with me. Do teenagers take their parents to their interviews for part time jobs now too?

Parents at open days, fine. Parents driving you to your halls to help you move in, great. Parents visiting for the day occasionally, wonderful. Parents going to interviews? Weird, sorry. What would be the point?

Will your parents also be attending your lectures? Going over your assignments for you? Telling off your flatmates if they use your milk or leave the kitchen a mess? Part of the point of uni is to gradually build up your independence from parents. You really should be able to handle most situations by yourself by the time you're 18/19, if not a lot earlier.

As for not being able to get to interviews without them. There are these things called public transport and maps. Lots of people get about every day without outside help!
Reply 39
Original post by Larrabee
Are you serious? At no point did it ever occur to either me or my parents for them to come to interviews with me. Do teenagers take their parents to their interviews for part time jobs now too?

Parents at open days, fine. Parents driving you to your halls to help you move in, great. Parents visiting for the day occasionally, wonderful. Parents going to interviews? Weird, sorry. What would be the point?

Will your parents also be attending your lectures? Going over your assignments for you? Telling off your flatmates if they use your milk or leave the kitchen a mess? Part of the point of uni is to gradually build up your independence from parents. You really should be able to handle most situations by yourself by the time you're 18/19, if not a lot earlier.

As for not being able to get to interviews without them. There are these things called public transport and maps. Lots of people get about every day without outside help!

Undergrad interviews are open days. That's the point. It's fully expected that your parents come along. There are special events put on for the parents of all the interviewees. Why would you tell your parents: "you are not allowed to attend this event that has been arranged for you, even though everyone else's parents will be there"?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending