Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm studying A2 AQA English Language (specification A) and for the first piece of the two pieces of coursework in the coursework portfolio, it has to concentrate on spoken rather than written English. I'm getting a bit stuck here as my teacher insists that I can't use printed texts and it has to be all oral recordings. But I thought that it doesn't have to actually be spoken, it just has to be written to be spoken so you can look at features of spoken English on a printed text, e.g. a conversation transcript. :confused: Anyone else in the same position? Got any advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Freaked_outStudent)
    I'm studying A2 AQA English Language (specification A) and for the first piece of the two pieces of coursework in the coursework portfolio, it has to concentrate on spoken rather than written English. I'm getting a bit stuck here as my teacher insists that I can't use printed texts and it has to be all oral recordings. But I thought that it doesn't have to actually be spoken, it just has to be written to be spoken so you can look at features of spoken English on a printed text, e.g. a conversation transcript. :confused: Anyone else in the same position? Got any advice?
    A conversation transcript is fine - how else are you going to include the data in your write-up? The thing with written to be spoken is that it's there on the spec:
    "For the purposes of the investigation spoken is taken simply to refer to language which is literally intended to be spoken aloud. This definition will
    therefore include scripted and spontaneous speech. Candidates are permitted to look at written text if it illuminates a question about spoken language. It
    would be permissible to study Teletext subtitles as a way of evaluating the access they provide to the spoken dialogue."
    Even so, you've got to be careful as it can lead to you going way off track. Things that have worked well for my students have been the usual kind of tightly focussed investigations into gender and language, age and language, ethnicity and language, and then some good ones on things like children's early speech, representation of naturalistic speech in a script, and stuff like that.

It might be worth checking with your teacher, because it may just be that they've limited your scope deliberately, to avoid lots of people going off track. We've done it with the language intervention at our place, and told students to only do change topics, and there was a good reason for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by merkatron)
    A conversation transcript is fine - how else are you going to include the data in your write-up? The thing with written to be spoken is that it's there on the spec:

Even so, you've got to be careful as it can lead to you going way off track. Things that have worked well for my students have been the usual kind of tightly focussed investigations into gender and language, age and language, ethnicity and language, and then some good ones on things like children's early speech, representation of naturalistic speech in a script, and stuff like that.

It might be worth checking with your teacher, because it may just be that they've limited your scope deliberately, to avoid lots of people going off track. We've done it with the language intervention at our place, and told students to only do change topics, and there was a good reason for it.
    Thank you.

If I can just ask one more question, I was wondering whether the investigation should be focused on spoken interaction, as opposed to, say, a monologue or an advertisement?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Freaked_outStudent)
    Thank you.

If I can just ask one more question, I was wondering whether the investigation should be focused on spoken interaction, as opposed to, say, a monologue or an advertisement?
    That's totally up to you. I've seen really excellent ones on each of the three you mention ...and a few stinkers, to be fair

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.