Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I need help!

I've been ill for over 3 weeks with muscle and joint pain, a temperature and chills/shaking, bad diarrhea that almost always happens 10 minutes after eating, really bad stomach pain... and last night I noticed a sunburn-like red rash all over my legs. I seem to be getting worse. Now, my muscles ache even when I'm lying in bed or not moving.

I can't keep any of my food in, and I feel that I'm getting weaker and weaker. I was admitted to hospital by my GP about a week after the illness started, but they just did an ultrasound scan and then sent me home. I went back to the GP who put me on antibiotics and assured me they would make me feel better "before the weekend", but in fact I feel WORSE and the course of them is nearly finished now (tuesday).

I've made another appointment for tomorrow morning with a different GP - the only one that was available - but I feel I'm going to get fobbed off again with "virus or bacteria". I can see there is something much worse going on here... I've never had a virus anything like this, and I don't have flu, there's no cold or sore throat. Viruses don't normally last 3 weeks and get WORSE rather than better!

Does anyone have any ideas I could investigate about what might be causing this? I've missed 4 days off work and nearly lost my job, so I'm having to go in in intense pain and keep leaving to go to the toilet... I can't carry on like this! I'm on a gap year and my partner is at uni so we rely on my income.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    The only thing that strikes me as perfectly fitting to your description is pregnancy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dekota-XS)
    The only thing that strikes me as perfectly fitting to your description is pregnancy.
    Probably a sensible idea, but the hospital does pregnancy tests as standard, and mine was negative (also I'm on the pill).

ReputationRep:
    have you tried taking vitamin C?

ReputationRep:
    Explain to the doctor how it's getting worse and all the trouble it is causing you, and don't let them "fob you off".

ReputationRep:
    Everyone's dying.

ReputationRep:
    I've had 5 days now of ill-health, body aches, cold, sore throat, nasty chest. It's a ****ing ball-ache and physically and mentally I've never felt so raped in my life - damn flu. Want this to be over with tbh. I feel your pain. I've been trapped in the confines of my house and room for the last 4 days and it sucks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesyB)
    Everyone's dying.
    You're dying as soon as you're born.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doubledog)
    have you tried taking vitamin C?
    Hmm. Well, my mother posted me a vitamin supplement (which includes vitamin C), and I also began drinking probiotic yoghurts for a week. This seemed to make things worse (or it had no effect and at the same time I got worse), so I stopped taking them both in order to avoid complicating things.

I was thinking maybe I'm getting worse due to dehydration from the diarrhea?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OceanInTheSky)
    Explain to the doctor how it's getting worse and all the trouble it is causing you, and don't let them "fob you off".
    You're right there, I tend to under-exaggerate because I don't want to sound like I'm complaining - I also get worried that they will send me back to hospital if I disclose how bad it is, and that would mean losing my job!

I think I'm going to make a list of things to say when I get there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white_haired_wizard)
    You're dying as soon as you're born.

Philosophical!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sickgirl)
    Philosophical!
    it's a glass half-empty way of looking at things - reflects my current state of mind.

Flu is nasty business. Not to be taken lightly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white_haired_wizard)
    it's a glass half-empty way of looking at things - reflects my current state of mind.

Flu is nasty business. Not to be taken lightly.
    How about the realistic "just half a glass of water" approach? Might lift your mood a bit

I am pretty sure this is not the flu. It really shouldn't be still getting worse after 3 weeks in a normal 18 year old who isn't immunocompromised... Plus I don't have any of the typical flu virus symptoms like a cold. Oh, and the hospital and GP muses each time they measure my pulse that I am tachycardic - not a normal response to the flu!

ReputationRep:
    It's probably not helping if you're struggling into work despite being ill. For goodness sake, tell your work you need to take some time off.

You can't lose your job because you're ill; you just need to get your doctor to provide you with a medical certificate (although you can only get one if it's for more than 7 days-before this your employer should give you a form so you can self certificate; if they insist on a medical certificate before 7 days, you'll have to pay for it).

ReputationRep:
    I've only had 3 times in my life where I've felt so completely ill as to actually tangibly sense my own mortality.

One was as a kid, all I can remember is the doctor coming in and checking up on me. The other was on vacation with a girlfriend but fell ill, did the nasty anyway and my body punished me for it, and lastly the only bout of food poisoning I ever had where I couldn't keep anything down, was ****ting out my insides and frankly felt as ill as I have ever done.

Saying that if you think it's really as severe as you reckon then get it sorted.
    I also get worried that they will send me back to hospital if I disclose how bad it is, and that would mean losing my job!
    Well what do you care more about?, your current job or your current life?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heidigirl)
    It's probably not helping if you're struggling into work despite being ill. For goodness sake, tell your work you need to take some time off.

You can't lose your job because you're ill; you just need to get your doctor to provide you with a medical certificate (although you can only get one if it's for more than 7 days-before this your employer should give you a form so you can self certificate; if they insist on a medical certificate before 7 days, you'll have to pay for it).
    This is very true, I'm not resting enough... Unfortunately I'm only on a temporary contract - they will make it permanent in January, but NOT if I've been off work ill for weeks, they'll advertise for someone else!

I don't want to risk my chance at getting a permanent contract for the rest of the year, so I keep struggling in... Plus, with my partner being a student, I'm not entitled to benefits except JSA of £50 a week which is not enough to pay the rent - so losing my job could destroy everything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Studentus-anonymous)
    I've only had 3 times in my life where I've felt so completely ill as to actually tangibly sense my own mortality.

the only bout of food poisoning I ever had where I couldn't keep anything down, was ****ting out my insides and frankly felt as ill as I have ever done.
    This is how I would describe what has been happening to me for 3 weeks(!), but I also have all the muscle pains and fever and chills, the entire right side of my face hurts, my pulse is going noticably faster - I can feel it constantly - and my stomach spontaneously bloats out to the size of someone who is 9 months pregnant. I've lost so much weight, and I wasn't heavy to begin with...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sickgirl)
    Hmm. Well, my mother posted me a vitamin supplement (which includes vitamin C), and I also began drinking probiotic yoghurts for a week. This seemed to make things worse (or it had no effect and at the same time I got worse), so I stopped taking them both in order to avoid complicating things.

I was thinking maybe I'm getting worse due to dehydration from the diarrhea?
    I thought of vitamin C because some doctors believe high doses of it can boost immune function and it doesn't seem to do any harm. It's also cheap.
    Doctors don't know everything ; if your body's telling you to rest it's not a good idea to struggle into work in my opinion.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 30, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.