Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Brother's being bullied at Uni watch

ReputationRep:
    Alright so my brother only just went off to uni this year and people are bullying him like mad.

My brother has a pretty eccentric character and yes he's different. He has mild asperger's so sometimes he finds it difficult to talk to people but he's really trying.
    He's a really kind person and he's tried making friends but the people he's surrounded by are modern teenagers who just don't give a toss about his feelings. Technically my brother's at aviation school and he has exams in a few weeks so he's been working his butt off aaaannnd apparently he's been getting crap for working so hard for something he absolutely loves.

All over facebook they take photos and mock him. I heard him talking to my mum the other night about how one guy knocks on his door in the middle of the night everyday just to wake him up. Apparently pulling pranks and stealing his stuff are of the norm.

Could you give me any advice as his younger sister that I could possibly pass onto him? I'm really worried and I hate to see him this upset.

ReputationRep:
    Fking *****... and yes I know what I said didn't help much but it angers me that people have to be so damn nasty.

ReputationRep:
    There are counselling groups there to help him - most unis will have these advertised.

Also, I found that uni was a place where I could find myself - perhaps this is the time where he will too. There's obviously nothing wrong being different and this is his chance of proving people wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Fight fire with fire - tell him to p*ss in their sock draws or something

ReputationRep:
    Earplugs would probably help him sleep through the night, and if you have an alarm clock near the bed then you're not going to sleep in either.

Most dorms have on-site resident support, usually older students who help out with pretty much anything. He might want to try speaking to one of them or perhaps going to the disability support center for advice. Maybe it would even be possible to change rooms.

ReputationRep:
    This kind of stuff gets me really riled up. Bullying should definitely be criminalised, but sadly it's viewed as some benign childish activity. It's not- it is torment, and I feel this intense hatred towards all the bullies out there. Just foul creatures.

Now to offer some helpful solutions:

> You should buy or tell him to buy a safe- a really proper sturdy one at that- for any of his valuable stuff (i.e. both expensive gadgets and important course material). I'd suggest a lock on his room but that would just encourage these bullies further.

> Ear plugs or noise-cancelling headphones will nullfiy the night-time knocking.

> Most importantly, tell him to record all these incients somehow, VERY briefly though so it doesn't conflict with his studies. For example he should take some photos of his room every day so he can prove people are stealing from him, and after his exams take all this information to an authoritative body. If it gets really bad maybe the police would be willing to do something about the theft (I don't know much about harassment laws, but you should look into those).

It's a horrible situations and I wish him the best of luck, it ashames that someone so kind and hardworking is being plagued by such parasites.

ReputationRep:
    That is evil.

ReputationRep:
    I absolutely hate bullies. He's got to stand up for himself really. It's the only way. And I'm not talking about whining to them to stop. I'm talking about smacking the next person that pisses him off, hard in the face. Preferably in front of other bullies. Most bullies will stop once you show you are willing to make things physical. They don't want physical.

That's the only advice I can give. Unfortunately it could get him into trouble. But I'm 95% certain it would deter a lot of them from continuing.

ReputationRep:
    Move out of halls if that is where he is!

Halls are not good for those with Aspergers, even if there's loads that do have a really good time also.

ReputationRep:
    show us the facebook pictures lol
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    which university is this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by innerhollow)
    This kind of stuff gets me really riled up. Bullying should definitely be criminalised, but sadly it's viewed as some benign childish activity. It's not- it is torment, and I feel this intense hatred towards all the bullies out there. Just foul creatures.

Now to offer some helpful solutions:

> You should buy or tell him to buy a safe- a really proper sturdy one at that- for any of his valuable stuff (i.e. both expensive gadgets and important course material). I'd suggest a lock on his room but that would just encourage these bullies further.

> Ear plugs or noise-cancelling headphones will nullfiy the night-time knocking.

> Most importantly, tell him to record all these incients somehow, VERY briefly though so it doesn't conflict with his studies. For example he should take some photos of his room every day so he can prove people are stealing from him, and after his exams take all this information to an authoritative body. If it gets really bad maybe the police would be willing to do something about the theft (I don't know much about harassment laws, but you should look into those).

It's a horrible situations and I wish him the best of luck, it ashames that someone so kind and hardworking is being plagued by such parasites.
    Just wanted to quote every single word.

Poor guy...

ReputationRep:
    He can request to be moved to new halls.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys I appreciate the advice.
    He's technically at aviation school, his class is really small. He has to stay in one hall.

ReputationRep:
    Grrr this makes me so mad! W****rs!Is there a student advisor he can speak to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steezy)
    I absolutely hate bullies. He's got to stand up for himself really. It's the only way. And I'm not talking about whining to them to stop. I'm talking about smacking the next person that pisses him off, hard in the face. Preferably in front of other bullies. Most bullies will stop once you show you are willing to make things physical. They don't want physical.

That's the only advice I can give. Unfortunately it could get him into trouble. But I'm 95% certain it would deter a lot of them from continuing.
    Really? I would of thought a more likely scenario would be they hit him back and as he is outnumbered, get physical abuse added to the list.

It will probably take a long time to sort out but reporting it all to people in charge sounds like the only way to sort it out.

ReputationRep:
    Some people just don't grow up....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callum9999)
    Really? I would of thought a more likely scenario would be they hit him back and as he is outnumbered, get physical abuse added to the list.

It will probably take a long time to sort out but reporting it all to people in charge sounds like the only way to sort it out.
    Also, does he have a support worker for his time at uni that helps him cope with his asperger's? If so, maybe they could help. Would it be practical to ask to move accomodation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daniel-Ballingall)
    Some people just don't grow up....
    ...Pretty sure that integral in your sig is wrong...
    /nerd.

Poor guy though .

ReputationRep:
    This kind of **** always surprises me. From my experience, uni students have left that kind of behaviour behind once they move away from home and into a completely new group of friends. If a guy in my first year halls had been a **** to one of the shy/disabled kids, he would have been given a mouthful of abuse, socially ostracised, possibly even punched.

I would recommend that your brother confronts the main ******* in front of the group as a whole. Surely to god there must be one person there who isn't a complete ********, and will stand up for your brother and tell the bully to go **** himself?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 1, 2010
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.