Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Need generic Christmas present ideas for parents please Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have the kind of parents who have no real hobbies/interests and are therefore really hard to shop for.

My mom is really annoying because she specifically tells me not to buy anything because she'll never use it. Which is true.

Last year we bought them DVDs and they are still in the cellophane wraps. :rolleyes: Also bought them a 'breakfast in bed' set (mugs, toast rack etc) which they left at my halls because they said I had better use for it. :rolleyes:

Anyone got any generic present ideas?
    So far I'm thinking
    - alcohol
    - biscuit/chocolate tins
    - ???

ReputationRep:
    Nothing

ReputationRep:
    My parents are the same, impossible to buy for!? And I have the same thing, DVDs left in cellophane wrap the next year lol I can't even get the obvious choice of chocolate or sweets for mine as they don't eat... anything. This year I'm trying to get a coffee maker/grinder for my mum as she likes coffee when she's out but in the last few years they've both cut out basically all fat, sugar, caffeine, etc :mad: Damn it, there go all the easy presents! They haven't really got any hobbies either. Except my dad and rugby, I got him a 1 year club membership last year. I feel patronised when I give them something I know they won't want or use... like you have to pleased when a child gives you something :rolleyes: I was going to get my dad a puppy as he's just retired a few months ago and a bit lost I think, but my mum would kill me lol

How about jewelry for your mum or a voucher for a meal out/a show nearby?

ReputationRep:
    My mom is really annoying because she specifically tells me not to buy anything because she'll never use it. Which is true.

Last year we bought them DVDs and they are still in the cellophane wraps. :rolleyes: Also bought them a 'breakfast in bed' set (mugs, toast rack etc) which they left at my halls because they said I had better use for it. :rolleyes:

Anyone got any generic present ideas?
    So far I'm thinking
    - alcohol
    - biscuit/chocolate tins
    - ???[/QUOTE]

I see your dilemma, been there myself for years, but this year I came up with an idea of sending all internet competent recipients a gift voucher to amazon.co.uk. Can't really go wrong with that as there is about million presents to choose from. Of course if your mum or dad don't know how to shop online then you are stuffed with this idea too..

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Buy them nothing then, or a gift voucher so they can choose whatever they want.

ReputationRep:
    A food hamper full of things they like. This is what I'm getting my mum, with things such as chocolate, cheese, liquorice, fancy olive oil, herbs & spices. It doesn't have to be expensive... I'm using a shoe box and I think it will come to under £20.
    My Dad is getting socks & beer :/

ReputationRep:
    Well i bought my dad a cd cos he is in hospital so i thought it would be nice get something he can have put on his ipod for him and i got book and jotter box for my mum.

ReputationRep:
    How about vouchers for the supermarket where they do most their shopping? It may be a bit impersonal, but they're pretty much guarenteed to use it!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.