Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

People from ethnic minorities. Watch

How do you feel when someone says something racist to you? Do you retaliate? What about if you overhear something racist, do you ignore it? Is it a big deal to you, does it make you feel like you don't belong or are you used to the ignorance?

I guess i'm just looking to hear some personal experiences.

ReputationRep:
    If someone said something to me, my reaction would really depend on what they said and how they said it.
    If I overheard something, again it'd depend on how it was said, what was said, and who said it. If it was a bunch of muscley skinheads, I'd feel extremely uncomfortable and would frankly just try move away from them hoping I hadn't been noticed. If it was a less intimidating crowd, I might butt in and point out their stupidity and make them feel like idiots.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miss_p)
    If someone said something to me, my reaction would really depend on what they said and how they said it.
    If I overheard something, again it'd depend on how it was said, what was said, and who said it. If it was a bunch of muscley skinheads, I'd feel extremely uncomfortable and would frankly just try move away from them hoping I hadn't been noticed. If it was a less intimidating crowd, I might butt in and point out their stupidity and make them feel like idiots.
    This pretty much.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say anything;violence would only reinforce their ideas and there's no point in trying to reason with people like that. In terms of hearing racist things, my English Language class is like a bnp meeting so I just try and ignore it.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I get upset at first. It does hurt but then I get angry/annoyed/ saddened that they have that view. I don't retaliate with violence I usually just put them in their place with some facts as I've found a lot of racists to be ignorant. My parent's always taught me not to reinforce their ideas.

ReputationRep:
    The first spoiler in my sig just sums up my usual reaction.

That's interesting. I'm usually too scared to say anything, but always get really upset and feel extremely out of place. So much so that i think about the situation for a few days, and remember it my whole life. :/

This summer I was hanging out with my friend who i hadnt seen in ages and about 10 other people who were mostly his friends. One of them who i knew quite well said something blatently racist about my race but not directly at me (cant remember his exact words) and i just didnt know how to react so i just responded by saying its not true and my friend defended me and tried to change the subject.

An hour later his other friend who i also know said something racist aswell and i felt so uncomfortable and like walking off especially being the other black person there. In the end when most people were playing a game i talked to him about it and got him to apologise. I felt so bad, I hate arguments so couldnt bring myself to have a massive go at him. I felt really bad and angry at my friend for not sticking up for me more. meh.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really care if people say something against my race to be honest. I already knew there were racist people in the world, it's not like I've discovered anything new to get upset about. They're entitled to their opinions, and it makes no difference to me what those opinions are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    How do you feel when someone says something racist to you? Do you retaliate? What about if you overhear something racist, do you ignore it? Is it a big deal to you, does it make you feel like you don't belong or are you used to the ignorance?

I guess i'm just looking to hear some personal experiences.
    I'm not even an ethnic minority and I react with disgust to racism. I almost cried the other day when my black friend told me the stuff she's endured!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    I don't really care if people say something against my race to be honest. I already knew there were racist people in the world, it's not like I've discovered anything new to get upset about. They're entitled to their opinions, and it makes no difference to me what those opinions are.
    Well said!

ReputationRep:
    MOTTO: Fight racism with racism!

ReputationRep:
    Ignore & walk away, unless I know the person.

I was at a s****y black tie dinner party with my Dad who is white.
    A man comes up to me and says hello. I tell him I am Robertson's son.
    He asks point black whether I have been adopted...The senile fool.

Being mixed race, I also was on the receiving end of racism from Black people at my school. They often made fun of my accent- to the extent that I tried to modify it to sound like a gangster rapper.

edit: sw anky is a swear word apparently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I was at a s****y black tie dinner party with my Dad who is white.
    A man comes up to me and says hello. I tell him I am Robertson's son.
    He asks point black whether I have been adopted...The senile fool.

Being mixed race, I also was on the receiving end of racism from Black people at my school. They often made fun of my accent- to the extent that I tried to modify it to sound like a gangster rapper.
    **** those ****ers, and don't modify your accent just be proud of who you are. And be proud that when you speak, you pronounce your words correctly instead of sounding like a retard!

ReputationRep:
    Tbh if anyone ever said something racist to me I could easily say something just as racist and offensive back. Now I'm not saying this is what I would do in future and this is the solution but it is not as if the person is doing something you cannot do back if you get what I mean.

If a person says something racist to you just smile at them and say thank you. Standing there trying to justify yourself just makes what the person said more valid in my opinion. I hate when people do this (especially on here).

ReputationRep:
    Racist people aren't worth the energy.

ReputationRep:
    Depends who says it, and the way they say it.
    I'd either just look at them then walk away, or respond in a way to make whoever it is feel like a fool.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 1, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.