Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi folks,

Just joined up today, as this forum seems the best for advice and opinions from many different people.

I started m150 and t175 level 1 courses early this year and completed them - hopefully I did well!

This is all going towards the OU's open degree. I did originally chose computing, but some of the courses weren't what I wanted. Anyhow, Im interested in all things web/internet, from designing webpages, to how things work behind the scenes - everything in general. The OU did do a set of short courses , 6 in all, that comprised C39 (if i remember correctly), with each covering an interesting range of subjects relating to the web. Due to these coming to the end, i have missed the first in the 6, although i could still do the rest, but wont be able to claim the certificate that goes with them all, but its really the individual courses im interested in.

So my question is (if your still reading!) - is, would it be still worth it doing the rest, although ive missed the first one ? Ive checked over tt280 which was the first of the 6, and alot of it seems very similar to knowledge i already have. Obviously it wont be the same as actually having done/completed it, but would it still be worth doing the rest?

I dont see or know of any replacement OU courses coming up in the near future that would satisfy my interest in 'web/internet' study, so at the moment these ones are my last chance to learn something. (for the forseeable future anyhow).

Thanks for reading anyhow, and any advice appreciated!

Paul.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't done any of those 10-point ones (although I would've liked to), but I'm starting T215 in February and that involves some website-related work, although I'm not sure how much (see Block 3). I also plan to do T320 which you may find interesting.

ReputationRep:
    From what people i have spoken to have said, those courses are rather out of date, im afraid. T224 could be a good course for you along with T215.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Thanks for the response kate, both those look like good future possibilities for me. particularly t320, as it covers the online/web side of things quite a lot.

Bufferz thanks for your response too, both look like good courses although im not so sure about t224.

I know that those courses are ending as things constantly change, and the content could be getting alittle out of date - but from reading through their descriptions, they still appeared to be good choices on the whole. I would think the content would still be valuable for the most part?

Thanks again for the responses folk

ReputationRep:
    It really depends what your aim is, if you're looking to get into web design/development you may find that there isn't a course that goes into great depth on it. Since you'd need a portfolio for that kind of thing you could build that up by working on coding skills and all that in your spare time, and use the degree to cover the broader topics.

ReputationRep:
    Hi SbC.. thanks for your response.

Yeah, I havent really found anything that goes into great detail. I found those few short courses i mentioned, a couple of those already mentioned are also more broader in topic , which is fine, and ive found a couple more that are in the area of design, which might also be useful.

Personally, i already have some reasonable skills in terms of html/css etc, and im handy at implementing other code, and am good enough with paint programs such as photoshop... I can work on the portfolio, as ive already built quite a few websites. I just wanted to learn some various stuff in more detail, behind the scenes stuff, client,server,databases, just many things in general web/internet related.

Thanks again anyhow.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.