Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do the issues raised in teen dramas such as drug abuse reflect teenage reality? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Do the issues (drug abuse, eating disorders, self harm..etc) raised in teen dramas such as 'skins' and 'misfits' reflect what teenagers lives are really like? Do you think it helps teenagers deal with it or do you think it encourages this behaviour?

ReputationRep:
    I take it this is for your media coursework?

ReputationRep:
    Remember the house party at the posh house on an earlier season of Skins? Well, most my teenage life was like that, so yeah, it's not far off. I'd say the main difference was that there was never a cute mental bird wanting to **** me on a trampoline...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    I take it this is for your media coursework?
    Yeah, really need some help!

ReputationRep:
    Skins is what majority of teens want it to be like, Inbetweeners is what it's like for a that majority realistically.

Skins = party, take drugs, **** all round you, cry once, get into university with all you're predicted grades and live happily ever after.

Because you know, university is the be all end all in terms of where you go in life.(I know some people won't get the sarcasm)

ReputationRep:
    It's nothing like my life, but then if my life was a tv programme it would probably be like one of those slightly odd children's cartoons. And no, watching a tv programme has never helped me with issues such as drinking or so on; I find common sense and personal experience much more useful.

ReputationRep:
    Tv shows such as these are there primarily for entertainment and ratings purposes. While certain aspects like drugs/ attitudes to sex etc. might be portrayed reasonably accurately, they are still mostly exaggarated, and not what a typical teen experiences.
    As for issues such as self harm/ eating disorders etc. in my experience they portray the physical aspects of the problem (i.e. showing a skeletal form/ refusal to eat or scarring on the limbs, but they rarely go deep into the mental aspects, which is where the problem really lies.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't seen Skins, but from what I've seen of Misfits, I should hope not. They kill people in that show, and the resolution is to hide what they've done, dumping the body in the river. It didn't encourage it past thinking a bit harder about alternatives, and I suppose I'd have to watch more to see how they dealt with it, but none seemed that bothered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopple)
    I haven't seen Skins, but from what I've seen of Misfits, I should hope not. They kill people in that show, and the resolution is to hide what they've done, dumping the body in the river. It didn't encourage it past thinking a bit harder about alternatives, and I suppose I'd have to watch more to see how they dealt with it, but none seemed that bothered.
    You have a point, i had forgotten about all the murders! I suppose being a teenager myself it shows that all that stuff goes over our heads and we are just entertained. Quite worrying!

ReputationRep:
    You could probably compile all of the wild events of my entire teenage years into one slightly crap episode of Skins.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.