The Student Room Group

EU paves way for common patent system

A group of EU countries plans to strike a deal soon on a simplified and cheaper European patent system - a goal that has eluded the EU for a decade.

The European Commission has thrown its weight behind the move, admitting that there is no unanimity on the issue among the 27 member states.

Translation costs make patents in the EU much more expensive than US patents.
Germany, the UK and several other countries want a fast-track deal under the "enhanced co-operation" procedure.

The procedure is an innovation brought in by the EU's Lisbon Treaty.

"Enhanced co-operation" allows nine or more countries to push ahead with a measure they deem important but that is blocked by a small minority of EU states. Other countries can join them at a later date.

A language dispute has delayed progress on an EU-wide patent system.
Italy and Spain objected to a Commission proposal to have three official languages for registering patents - English, French and German.

"The current system for the patent is too expensive; it costs ten times more than in the United States. It impedes growth," he said.

"It is small and medium sized businesses - genuine sources of dynamism for the future - which are suffering most from it."

The Commission says a single EU patent system would reduce translation costs from the current 14,000 euros (£12,226) on average to just 680 euros per patent.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11862602

Now this is what the European Union should be doing. Yes, I am actually supporting the European Union for once and I think this sort of approach is brilliant and exactly the sort of thing I want and feel would be of great benefit to all.

The European Commission should be looking at more ways to extend the single market into financial services whilst also reducing the regulatory burden on businesses. We should be doing more of this sort of "policy conformity" to ensure that businesses can really make the most out of the single market.

In regards to translation, I think we should really push for as much official business as possible to be conducted in as fewer languages as possible. Preferably this would be English and only English, however, I am willing to concede that some translation costs will remain as one cannot expect elected representatives (MEPs) to be fluent in English... yet

They have until next Wednesday :tongue:
Original post by Teaddict
A group of EU countries plans to strike a deal soon on a simplified and cheaper European patent system - a goal that has eluded the EU for a decade.

The European Commission has thrown its weight behind the move, admitting that there is no unanimity on the issue among the 27 member states.

Translation costs make patents in the EU much more expensive than US patents.
Germany, the UK and several other countries want a fast-track deal under the "enhanced co-operation" procedure.

The procedure is an innovation brought in by the EU's Lisbon Treaty.

"Enhanced co-operation" allows nine or more countries to push ahead with a measure they deem important but that is blocked by a small minority of EU states. Other countries can join them at a later date.

A language dispute has delayed progress on an EU-wide patent system.
Italy and Spain objected to a Commission proposal to have three official languages for registering patents - English, French and German.

"The current system for the patent is too expensive; it costs ten times more than in the United States. It impedes growth," he said.

"It is small and medium sized businesses - genuine sources of dynamism for the future - which are suffering most from it."

The Commission says a single EU patent system would reduce translation costs from the current 14,000 euros (£12,226) on average to just 680 euros per patent.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11862602

Now this is what the European Union should be doing. Yes, I am actually supporting the European Union for once and I think this sort of approach is brilliant and exactly the sort of thing I want and feel would be of great benefit to all.

The European Commission should be looking at more ways to extend the single market into financial services whilst also reducing the regulatory burden on businesses. We should be doing more of this sort of "policy conformity" to ensure that businesses can really make the most out of the single market.

In regards to translation, I think we should really push for as much official business as possible to be conducted in as fewer languages as possible. Preferably this would be English and only English, however, I am willing to concede that some translation costs will remain as one cannot expect elected representatives (MEPs) to be fluent in English... yet

They have until next Wednesday :tongue:

I agree with you expect about English. The majority of European country speaks German and French and historically that was language of the funder (+ Dutch). Plus France and Germany are the two biggest contributor to EU budget, UK coming only 4th.
Reply 2
Original post by LysFromParis
I agree with you expect about English. The majority of European country speaks German and French and historically that was language of the funder (+ Dutch). Plus France and Germany are the two biggest contributor to EU budget, UK coming only 4th.

In terms of NET Contributions Germany is first whilst Britain is second. France contribution just over £40bn more than we do, but take out just under twice what we take out. We are the second NET contributors and perhaps thee most eurosceptic nation.

The comment on English is based on one simple fact. The majority of European Union business is conducted in English. Even when Britain isn't at a discussion, it is conducted in English.
I'm with you on this Teaddict - this seems a simple move with, as far as I can see, no drawbacks. I must admit I wasn't aware of the current situation, but streamlining it certainly seems sensible.

Quick Reply

Latest