Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hii
    i have this interview for microbiology at manchester uni on the 8th december
    i am soo scared
    has any had an interview from manchester university this year in this department
    what can i expect
    i read that it is quite informal but im still scared i muck up
    and also, if they ask me why do you want to study microbiology do i say why i want to study microbiology in manchester uni or just overall why microbiology interests me

ohh i hope the interviewers arent intimidating!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zeenat Ahmed)
    Hii
    i am soo scared
    has any had an interview from manchester university this year in this department
    what can i expect
    and also, if they ask me why do you want to study microbiology do i say why i want to study microbiology in manchester uni or just overall why microbiology interests me

Hey, I'm in my second year at Manchester, at the Faculty of Life Sciences too!

I don't know whether they've changed things, but when I had my interview (a year and a half ago o_O), it was really relaxed and informal. We chatted about recent stuff on TV about Biology if I recall haha. I can't remember exactly, but I think they asked me about my personal statement (i.e. you said you did this, explain that, etc), why the course and why Manchester. If you get asked why you want to study Microbiology, I'd state your reasons, then say "and I want to study it at Manchester because...". You could for example mention that Manchester is in the top 20 for Biological Sciences (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...icle526747.ece)

Hope this helps. Any questions, just reply here, I'll be happy to help

ReputationRep:
    I had my interview there yesterday for Biomedical science and it was really relaxed!
    I was unbelievably nervous before the interview but afterwards I came out thinking it was easy, it lasted less than ten minutes and I wasn't even in a room on my own with the interviewer, just in a lab with loads of other applicants having their interviews all around me, so very informal!
    She started off by asking if the journey had been ok because it was snowing and then asked me about where I live. From there she asked how my a-levels were going, talked about work experience I had put in my personal statement, asked why I had chosen biomed rather than medicine as I attended medlink and then asked about wider reading - I mentioned an article from new scientist. She did also ask about my grades but I think that was just because I got a low mark on one of my chemistry modules and am resitting so I think she just wanted to know why that happened, she was very nice about it though! Then we talked a little about music because my personal statement mentioned that I play and she gave me my offer!
    It's really simple - nothing to worry about!
    I hope that helped!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RebeccaJacob)
    I had my interview there yesterday for Biomedical science and it was really relaxed!
    I was unbelievably nervous before the interview but afterwards I came out thinking it was easy, it lasted less than ten minutes and I wasn't even in a room on my own with the interviewer, just in a lab with loads of other applicants having their interviews all around me, so very informal!
    She started off by asking if the journey had been ok because it was snowing and then asked me about where I live. From there she asked how my a-levels were going, talked about work experience I had put in my personal statement, asked why I had chosen biomed rather than medicine as I attended medlink and then asked about wider reading - I mentioned an article from new scientist. She did also ask about my grades but I think that was just because I got a low mark on one of my chemistry modules and am resitting so I think she just wanted to know why that happened, she was very nice about it though! Then we talked a little about music because my personal statement mentioned that I play and she gave me my offer!
    It's really simple - nothing to worry about!
    I hope that helped!

oh okaay
    that sounds manageable. so what should i wear on the day. i dont want to wear jeans incase i give them a bad impression. and did they ask u any sciency question that are difficult. i hope they dont ask me something i have no idea about incase i sound stupid

oh and did they ask you the question 'why should we take you in' or 'what can you contribute to manchester uni'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistryIsMyKryptonite)
    Hey, I'm in my second year at Manchester, at the Faculty of Life Sciences too!

I don't know whether they've changed things, but when I had my interview (a year and a half ago o_O), it was really relaxed and informal. We chatted about recent stuff on TV about Biology if I recall haha. I can't remember exactly, but I think they asked me about my personal statement (i.e. you said you did this, explain that, etc), why the course and why Manchester. If you get asked why you want to study Microbiology, I'd state your reasons, then say "and I want to study it at Manchester because...". You could for example mention that Manchester is in the top 20 for Biological Sciences (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...icle526747.ece)

Hope this helps. Any questions, just reply here, I'll be happy to help
    okaay thank you
    it relaxed me a bit
    so how do you think i should prepare for the interview
    i wrote notes on the two main questions "why manchester" and "why microbiology" and i am reading my personal statement.
    is that all i really need to prepare for. i dont want my answers to sound structured like i learned them by heart lol

ReputationRep:
    They didn't ask any science questions at all, nor did they ask the other two questions.
    It's really simple, nothing to worry about
    I wore skinny black trousers and dressed them up with a more formal top, quite a few people did wear jeans though - not many people went fully formal in suits

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RebeccaJacob)
    They didn't ask any science questions at all, nor did they ask the other two questions.
    It's really simple, nothing to worry about
    I wore skinny black trousers and dressed them up with a more formal top, quite a few people did wear jeans though - not many people went fully formal in suits
    haha i feel so stupid for worrying
    i was so scared before
    unbelievable!
    how much would u say i should talk for when they ask why do you want to study microbiology bcuz right now i am makin some notes of what to say and i dont want my answers to sound too vague but then again i dont want to talk too long

sorry im asking you sooo many things

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I never answered!
    Hope it went well

ReputationRep:
    Hii
    i am soo scared
    what can i expect

Hi i am having my interview for microbiology on the 23rd of feb!

Just wanted to ask how yours went? Did you get an offer ont hat day?
    Was it a formal one or an informal one??

I am so nervous about it :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KyriakixXx)
    Hi i am having my interview for microbiology on the 23rd of feb!

Just wanted to ask how yours went? Did you get an offer ont hat day?
    Was it a formal one or an informal one??

I am so nervous about it :/
    ohh it is nothing to worry about. i felt silly after i came out of my interview. i understand you would be scared at first because its a university interview, who wouldnt! but seriously its sooooo easy. im not a confident talker and i found it easy. basically the interview itself lasts for about 10 minutes. most of the day you are in a group of maybe 7 other students, you tour the university and then you have your interview. its an innformal interview, they call your name and you are interviewed in a lab by a professor. they just ask you the usual, like 'why microbiology' and 'why manchester uni' but they are so nice about and my interviewer even started talking briefly about his childhood lol
    the rest of the questions they ask you depends on what is writing in your personal statement so make sure you know your personal statement. and my interviewer told me straight away that i had an offer although it takes about 2 weeks for it to be confirmed on ucas

dont worry about it! you will be fine, it is not scary at all

ReputationRep:
    ohh it is nothing to worry about. i felt silly after i came out of my interview. i understand you would be scared at first because its a university interview, who wouldnt! but seriously its sooooo easy. im not a confident talker and i found it easy. basically the interview itself lasts for about 10 minutes. most of the day you are in a group of maybe 7 other students, you tour the university and then you have your interview. its an innformal interview, they call your name and you are interviewed in a lab by a professor. they just ask you the usual, like 'why microbiology' and 'why manchester uni' but they are so nice about and my interviewer even started talking briefly about his childhood lol
    the rest of the questions they ask you depends on what is writing in your personal statement so make sure you know your personal statement. and my interviewer told me straight away that i had an offer although it takes about 2 weeks for it to be confirmed on ucas

dont worry about it! you will be fine, it is not scary at all
    Thnx for your reply now am feeling more relaxed!!
    Btw what did you wear if i may ask? And were there a lot of people??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KyriakixXx)
    Thnx for your reply now am feeling more relaxed!!
    Btw what did you wear if i may ask? And were there a lot of people??
    i just wore black skinny jeans and a white blouse and a short black blazer. few people came with full suits on but most people looked very casual.
    and there were quite a few people there, i would say about 250 students

ReputationRep:
    i just wore black skinny jeans and a white blouse and a short black blazer. few people came with full suits on but most people looked very casual.
    and there were quite a few people there, i would say about 250 students
    i was thinking to wear exactly the same clothes! Black trousers, a blouse and a black blazer! Anw 250 students??? seriously? o m g too many people!!! Did they give offers to most of them? And i think not everyone shud have been there for microbiology because on the day i am going there will be students for biomedical science as well for interview!

ReputationRep:
    I just had mine today. the interviews are really easy the only question they dont really care about dress code

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by douchebagcunt)
    I just had mine today. the interviews are really easy the only question they dont really care about dress code
    What did they ask you?

ReputationRep:
    sorry. i meant to say the only questions they asked were the obvious questions about your personal statement and why you have applied to do the course your doing

ReputationRep:
    what did people's letters about the confirmation of the offer say?
    mine seemed quite different to my friends.
    cheers

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.