Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Next year (2011-2012), I´d like to study a full-time undergraduate course (Hons) in Scotland (because of the flexible education system which seems to comply fully to what I´m searching for) but since I´m a non-UK EU national, I have a hard time finding answers on the following questions:

When I apply for several courses on different universities, should I send all my qualifications to these universities?
    Should these be translated to English and if so, do the marks also need to be given in the UK equivalent?
    Do the qualifications have to be original or would copies suffice?
    And if it´s needed to translate the qualifications, does it has to have certain evidence it´s a fair copy?
    Moreover, is it necessary to send the test scores of my TOEFL (English requirements test) to the universities by mail and should these be original?
    If one of the above mentioned qualifications should be sent to the universities, when should these be at least received?

If one of you guys know the answer on just even one question, please do not hesitate to hit the reply button. And yeah, I know. I should call UCAS on this but international calls are just really expensive you know. -_-´
    Thank you kindly.

ReputationRep:
    have you tried e-mailing the unis concerned?

ReputationRep:
    Okay, well first of all you should not call UCAS. Your questions are in no way their territory. Secondly, different universities have different policies meaning that one place may want you to send certified photocopies before you get there and another place may want you to bring originals with you when you arrive. In short - you have to contact the university you are planning to attend. However...
    1) You list your qualifications on the UCAS application, which means that all the universities you are applying for will be able to see them. You don't have to send any proof of your qualifications yet, this will happen once you've had all your offers, have chosen your firm and insurance, have met the requirements and then you send proof of your qualifications to that one place that you're going to attend.
    2) If your qualifications (such as the high school diploma) aren't in English then yes, you have to get them translated by an appropriate agency. The grades will not be "translated" because a) uniform equivalencies may not even exist (that is, one university may regard your grade in a specific subject as equivalent of A and another one may regard it as a B), and b) translation agencies do not have the authority to provide grade equivalencies.
    3) This is a very specific question and each university has its own policy. Contact yours to find out what they want. Usually you have to bring the originals with you when you register in person (if photocopies and translations are required then those have to be certified).
    4) Yes, translations have to be certified as being true. Usually the agency provides a stamp or seal of some sort, but getting them notarized is also an option (also more expensive and usually unnecessary, so don't rush to a notary).
    5) You will be able to provide your TOEFL registration number on your UCAS form, this will let the universities verify your results. You can also include the TOEFL qualification in the Education section and list the overall score you got as well as the subscores. This means that you probably don't have to send in any extra information, you just have to bring the original score sheet with you to registration.

ReputationRep:
    @Peregrinum:
    I was afraid that a worst case scenario would occure in which my universities would need to receive by mail: English translations with marks in UK equivalent and a watermark (or anything like that) of all my qualifications, before the deadline of January 15th. Phew...
    I'll contact the universities for further enquirie, thanks for the info Peregrinum.

@hypocriticaljap: Yes, I did. But I was by far too impatient to await their reply because of the idea that a scenario as mentioned above, would happen. So a post on Thestudentsroom and an e-mail to UCAS seemed best. Thanks for your tip though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rens)
    @Peregrinum:
    I was afraid that a worst case scenario would occure in which my universities would need to receive by mail: English translations with marks in UK equivalent and a watermark (or anything like that) of all my qualifications, before the deadline of January 15th. Phew...
    I'll contact the universities for further enquirie, thanks for the info Peregrinum.

@hypocriticaljap: Yes, I did. But I was by far too impatient to await their reply because of the idea that a scenario as mentioned above, would happen. So a post on Thestudentsroom and an e-mail to UCAS seemed best. Thanks for your tip though.
    The deadline for proofing that you have the grades you claim to have (TOEFL etc) is August 31, 2011. And when you receive an offer they will clearly state how and when they want the documents.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.