Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I would like to know if anybody could tell me: I'm applying to Edinbugrh, St Andrews, Glasgow and Aberdeen for a Joint honours degree, German and History. I have not studied German before, except a short beginners course. Can I even apply to that course? Scottish universities provide beginners courses in German but is it different in Joint Honours? I was just wondering if there is less time to learn a new language when you have to study two subjects as majors....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JeanneF)
    Hi,

I would like to know if anybody could tell me: I'm applying to Edinbugrh, St Andrews, Glasgow and Aberdeen for a Joint honours degree, German and History. I have not studied German before, except a short beginners course. Can I even apply to that course? Scottish universities provide beginners courses in German but is it different in Joint Honours? I was just wondering if there is less time to learn a new language when you have to study two subjects as majors....
    Scottish universities usually have both a beginners and more advanced language course in first year (as stated in their prospectuses), so that all students start at the same level in second year. I'd imagine it would be a lot of hard work for a beginner, but I'm sure it's possible. It may be difficult to get an offer if you haven't studied it before - did you study any other languages? Most universities will ask for you to have sat at least one language course. Also, what sort of beginners course did you do? Was it an Open University course?

I'm applying for History too.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I studied English and Swedish (I'm from Finland) since the elementary school, but of German I know only the basics. Now I'm considering if it would be better for me to apply for some kind of a History with Literature course... It may be more possible to get an offer for that, because I know so little German.

(p.s.: History rules! )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JeanneF)
    Yes, I studied English and Swedish (I'm from Finland) since the elementary school, but of German I know only the basics. Now I'm considering if it would be better for me to apply for some kind of a History with Literature course... It may be more possible to get an offer for that, because I know so little German.

(p.s.: History rules! )
    Well, I think if you're good enough with your foreign language (which I'm assuming is English in you're from Finland - correct me if I'm wrong! It sounds fluent to me!) then that would fulfil their entry requirements. Most universities won't ask for a specific foreign language, given that different schools teach different languages - our school doesn't teach German for example, but teaches French and Spanish. If you're good with languages, and can show your passion through your personal statement, I'd say you have a good chance of getting an offer.

Also, if you want to study History and German, go for it! You'll never know until you try! It's not worth applying for a different subject if it's something you don't want to study! You already know English, and, as a Germanic language, it's closely linked to German. Even if you decide not to study it, History courses often include modules in German history, which would still let you learn some German.

I'm applying to study History and English, and I know that there's going to be loads of reading to do. It's still a good choice, although English is more competitive than German. Looking at your choices, you've got quite a few universities that ask for high grades - i.e. Edinburgh, St Andrews and Glasgow. Dundee also offers History and German, but has lower entry requirements (although I'm not sure where else offer the joint degree). If you're worried that you won't get an offer, it might be worth keeping a couple of high risk choices, but also apply to a few that ask for lower grades. This'll give you a good chance of getting an offer, but you don't have to change your choices if you're happy with them.

Edit: Just remembered that Edinburgh has specific pages on international qualifications. I don't know if you've already seen the one for Finland, but it might be worth a look:
    http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/interna...qualifications

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by draconia_93)
    Well, I think if you're good enough with your foreign language (which I'm assuming is English in you're from Finland - correct me if I'm wrong! It sounds fluent to me!) then that would fulfil their entry requirements. Most universities won't ask for a specific foreign language, given that different schools teach different languages - our school doesn't teach German for example, but teaches French and Spanish. If you're good with languages, and can show your passion through your personal statement, I'd say you have a good chance of getting an offer.

Also, if you want to study History and German, go for it! You'll never know until you try! It's not worth applying for a different subject if it's something you don't want to study! You already know English, and, as a Germanic language, it's closely linked to German. Even if you decide not to study it, History courses often include modules in German history, which would still let you learn some German.

I'm applying to study History and English, and I know that there's going to be loads of reading to do. It's still a good choice, although English is more competitive than German. Looking at your choices, you've got quite a few universities that ask for high grades - i.e. Edinburgh, St Andrews and Glasgow. Dundee also offers History and German, but has lower entry requirements (although I'm not sure where else offer the joint degree). If you're worried that you won't get an offer, it might be worth keeping a couple of high risk choices, but also apply to a few that ask for lower grades. This'll give you a good chance of getting an offer, but you don't have to change your choices if you're happy with them.
    Sorry for butting in, but does this happen in English universities as well?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asparkyn)
    Sorry for butting in, but does this happen in English universities as well?
    I don't think so, although I'm not entirely sure. Most English universities ask for a grade in that particular subject (e.g. that you have German A-level to study German). I think this is due to their degrees only being three years, not Scotland's four, giving you less time to learn a new language. I might be able to help more if I knew what foreign language you studied and the degree you're considering applying for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by draconia_93)
    I don't think so, although I'm not entirely sure. Most English universities ask for a grade in that particular subject (e.g. that you have German A-level to study German). I think this is due to their degrees only being three years, not Scotland's four, giving you less time to learn a new language. I might be able to help more if I knew what foreign language you studied and the degree you're considering applying for?
    Oh, I just realised I didn't specify. I am seriously considering Politics/International Relations and Russian and basically, I am in the same position as the OP, being a foreigner who has never had the option of getting a Russian/other language A-level qualification.

@OP I did a lot of research into this, and I checked out Edinburgh's requirements. Most courses in Edinburgh are very competitive so I'm not sure if you are I will be looked at very favourably in that sense I'm really hoping that someone will prove me wrong here ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asparkyn)
    Oh, I just realised I didn't specify. I am seriously considering Politics/International Relations and Russian and basically, I am in the same position as the OP, being a foreigner who has never had the option of getting a Russian/other language A-level qualification.

@OP I did a lot of research into this, and I checked out Edinburgh's requirements. Most courses in Edinburgh are very competitive so I'm not sure if you are I will be looked at very favourably in that sense I'm really hoping that someone will prove me wrong here ...
    Ah, if it's Russian then I think any foreign language will do (I think they'd only is it was something like French, Spanish or German). If you don't have any language qualifications there's still a chance they'll consider you, as long as you show that you're good with languages. Do you have any languages qualifications, as I'd presume universities would accept an equivalent to A-level.

I had a quick search for that course, and found this for Leeds University (you might not be considering applying there but it might be worth a look). http://www.leeds.ac.uk/coursefinder/..._and_Russian_B

If in doubt, you could always contact the universities directly and explain your situation. They would be able to give you a better answer than me.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.