Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Just wondering who is starting at Bristol Uni in Sept 2011? I have a defered entry place and will be taking a 4 year computer science course! Anyone out there?

ReputationRep:
    Yup, I'm applying there as well for Computer Science and Electronics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dhanoo)
    Yup, I'm applying there as well for Computer Science and Electronics.
    Woo! Let me know how you got on.

I noticed you applied last year to UCAs and again this year! What happened? Surely you got the grades?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aiden56)
    Woo! Let me know how you got on.

I noticed you applied last year to UCAs and again this year! What happened? Surely you got the grades?
    Sure, I will.

Yeah, got the grades. But we had financial difficulties, and I realised I didn't really want to do Mech. Eng. so applying this year again for a different course (which I like ). I don't know what Bristol will say/think if they knew I firmed them last year and later declined them, and then re-applying to them again.

ReputationRep:
    Sure, I will.

Yeah, got the grades. But we had financial difficulties, and I realised I didn't really want to do Mech. Eng. so applying this year again for a different course (which I like ). I don't know what Bristol will say/think if they knew I firmed them last year and later declined them, and then re-applying to them again.
    I doubt they will even know TBH... I got an offer of AAA initially which I didn't think I would get (turns out I did) and so I called them and they basically said "meh we will change it to AAB then" which was cool of them! It would be good to know some people going though so I don't turn up and be like "Er... hi... anyone?"

ReputationRep:
    I doubt they will even know TBH... I got an offer of AAA initially which I didn't think I would get (turns out I did) and so I called them and they basically said "meh we will change it to AAB then" which was cool of them! It would be good to know some people going though so I don't turn up and be like "Er... hi... anyone?"
    Wow, they even lowered your conditions? That's kinda nice, when I got my AAA offers last year, I so wanted the AAB offers badly. What subjects did you take?

ReputationRep:
    Wow, they even lowered your conditions? That's kinda nice, when I got my AAA offers last year, I so wanted the AAB offers badly. What subjects did you take?
    I took Maths, Futher Maths, Business Studies and Computing. I also took Physics AS (got a B in it). Yeah, they didn't seem that bothered about it lol. I think most of my subjects is in my profile. I am taking the 4 year course at Bristol which is like the MCOMP or something like that eventually. So I should come out with a decent degree. What you thinking of doing?

ReputationRep:
    I took Maths, Futher Maths, Business Studies and Computing. I also took Physics AS (got a B in it). Yeah, they didn't seem that bothered about it lol. I think most of my subjects is in my profile. I am taking the 4 year course at Bristol which is like the MCOMP or something like that eventually. So I should come out with a decent degree. What you thinking of doing?
    I actually wanted to take Computing at A-level but due to so very little people choosing it (like 2 only in a whole year, including me) my school didn't offer it, so I took Applied ICT instead. I'm also taking the 4 years course (MEng). I like to have a degree which combines both computer science and electronic engineering (Bristol would be a perfect uni ), as these 2 degrees have one of the highest paying and employment rate. Also, I don't really know if I will enjoy programming in near future, so having a joint-honour degree I could (hopefully) choose to go to either a computer industry or electronics industry in case one of them isn't my thing which is cool.

EDIT: Just got an unconditional offer from Bath for Computer Systems Engineering.

ReputationRep:
    I actually wanted to take Computing at A-level but due to so very little people choosing it (like 2 only in a whole year, including me) my school didn't offer it, so I took Applied ICT instead. I'm also taking the 4 years course (MEng). I like to have a degree which combines both computer science and electronic engineering (Bristol would be a perfect uni ), as these 2 degrees have one of the highest paying and employment rate. Also, I don't really know if I will enjoy programming in near future, so having a joint-honour degree I could (hopefully) choose to go to either a computer industry or electronics industry in case one of them isn't my thing which is cool.

EDIT: Just got an unconditional offer from Bath for Computer Systems Engineering.
    AWESOME EDIT. But fail because it is not Bristol :P And that would be cool. I am glad to see you have done your research. I haven't done THAT much! :P And, I am affraid to say. I LOVE programming. I work as an IT Technician for my old college with like 800 computers and 16 new servers and I love it. They don't like scripting programming so I do it all. Like a thing that interacts with Active Directory to diagnose profile issues when you scan there student ID barcodes. Or checks the status/IP's of all the computers in college and gives room for improvement. Oh and lastly one that can turn them all/a selection on/off/lock/etc. basically. I would do it for free - but don't tell them that. I am getting paid an actually software developers wage lol.

ReputationRep:
    AWESOME EDIT. But fail because it is not Bristol :P And that would be cool. I am glad to see you have done your research. I haven't done THAT much! :P And, I am affraid to say. I LOVE programming. I work as an IT Technician for my old college with like 800 computers and 16 new servers and I love it. They don't like scripting programming so I do it all. Like a thing that interacts with Active Directory to diagnose profile issues when you scan there student ID barcodes. Or checks the status/IP's of all the computers in college and gives room for improvement. Oh and lastly one that can turn them all/a selection on/off/lock/etc. basically. I would do it for free - but don't tell them that. I am getting paid an actually software developers wage lol.
    Haha, fail I know. :rolleyes: Bristol is known to take ages to get back to their applicants anyway. WOW, that seemed like a incredible thing to do back there at your college, and seems like an awesome stuff to put on your PS (no wonder Bristol accepted you!), and you're getting PAID by your college? Woah! :eek: I'm afraid to say I have no whatsoever programming basics at all. I did Computer Studies at (I)GCSEs so I learnt abit about algorithms and VBA codes under Microsoft Access, and I programmed really simple calculations back then using Turbo Pascal and I seemed to love it. I wish I had learnt more programming though, and Applied ICT.. really nothing at all.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, fail I know. :rolleyes: Bristol is known to take ages to get back to their applicants anyway. WOW, that seemed like a incredible thing to do back there at your college, and seems like an awesome stuff to put on your PS (no wonder Bristol accepted you!), and you're getting PAID by your college? Woah! :eek: I'm afraid to say I have no whatsoever programming basics at all. I did Computer Studies at (I)GCSEs so I learnt abit about algorithms and VBA codes under Microsoft Access, and I programmed really simple calculations back then using Turbo Pascal and I seemed to love it. I wish I had learnt more programming though, and Applied ICT.. really nothing at all.
    I actually didn't put it on my personal statement because I didn't even apply for the job until all my final exams were almost over and the UCAS offers had completed! If I give any advice, it would be if you enjoy like I do, you will just learn so quickly as you'll enjoy it but for some people I am aware it is torture lol. I did notice at the interview that I had a lot more experience than others though - I swear some people in the room were struggling to even name a language! Not what you need if you are going for a Computer Science degree!

The best thing about this job is even though I thought I knew a lot about Computign and Networking, this has like doubled my knowledge and so, paid or not, I would totally recommend asking your college or another local firm with lots of computers for some work experience. It's fun and you will learn like mega loads on how stuff works.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in my second year, first year is fine, second is a big step up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsheppard11)
    I'm in my second year, first year is fine, second is a big step up
    Ah okay, could you tell me what sort of stuff you do in your first year? And maybe some of the second year stuff so far please?

ReputationRep:
    Oh and "Any Bristol applicants, ask me about accommodation info"...

Yes please

ReputationRep:
    Ah okay, could you tell me what sort of stuff you do in your first year? And maybe some of the second year stuff so far please?
    Im doing Maths and Physics and i'm in my first year, i do a comp. math module and its 2/3 Python script and 1/3 maple script. python is a bit weird at first but once it clicks its pretty straightforward. Haven't really started maple properly yet but i assume its pretty much the same. google them both if you want an idea. my lectuer is yves tourigny and he comes up on google, go on his math homepage and then he has lecture notes and examples etc on his page. may be of interest to you.

ReputationRep:
    i would check out this threads:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...php?p=26341083
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...php?p=27508280 (timetable has changed this year- it's not so nice)

ReputationRep:
    I'm on my second year too. When applying I visited all of the supposedly best departments according to the league table, and let me tell you that Bristol is by far the best CS department I saw.

Course info is listed here:

First year:
    http://www.cs.bris.ac.uk/Teaching/yearpage.jsp?stage=1

Second:
    http://www.cs.bris.ac.uk/Teaching/yearpage.jsp?stage=2

Let me also just say, to do CS you don't just have to be a good programmer (you don't even need to have any experience before you arrive), you just need good maths skills, semi-good english skills and a lot of determination. With no one at uni pushing you it's hard to find motivation, though I guess this would be the same for all courses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWakeUpCall)
    I'm on my second year too. When applying I visited all of the supposedly best departments according to the league table, and let me tell you that Bristol is by far the best CS department I saw.

Course info is listed here:

First year:
    http://www.cs.bris.ac.uk/Teaching/yearpage.jsp?stage=1

Second:
    http://www.cs.bris.ac.uk/Teaching/yearpage.jsp?stage=2

Let me also just say, to do CS you don't just have to be a good programmer (you don't even need to have any experience before you arrive), you just need good maths skills, semi-good english skills and a lot of determination. With no one at uni pushing you it's hard to find motivation, though I guess this would be the same for all courses.
    i agree- although there is programming in the first year, there is quite a lot of maths too which you need in later years

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.