Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm applying for Vet as an affiliated student at Cambridge. I've looked on the Cambridge site and different pages say different things. Would anyone who is currently an affiliated Vet student at Cambridge be able to tell me what the fees are overall and how it breaks down?
    Thank you!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend contacting the admissions team by phone or e-mail with regards to fees next year as they might change with the new government plans etc / funding cuts

ReputationRep:
    they probably wont change though, because uni's can already set their own fees for grad vet med. Better safe than sorry though. At the moment i think cambridge is around £15,000 a year, don't know the specifics though x
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    cambridge is currently £3000ish (same as undergraduate) plus college fees, which i think is another £3000 or so.

ReputationRep:
    The college you applied to will send you a financial declaration asking for evidence that you can pay fees and asking you to sign a disclaimer stating that you understand the college will not make a financial contribution or support you financially. This should come with your invite to interview, it might come later if they make you an offer.

The tution fee has to be paid up front and is £3200, the college fee is £4400. They are both yearly.

Cambridge also estimates the cost of living for a year, and asks you provide evidence that you can cover this as well as fees. They estimate it to be around £7000 for pre-clinical years and £10,000 for clinical. Even if you believe you can live cheaper than this, they still request that you provide evidence that you have funds to cover the full total of that amount.

I'm not sure how strict they are on demanding evidence - you can alter the declaration form up until August, so presumably they are fairly reasonable about giving you time to martial money.

I've been told, although I can't confirm this, that you will be asked about how you intend to finance yourself in the general college interview, so you should have some idea - saying 'dunno, I'll work it out if you give me an offer' is likely to reflect badly on your application.

From my experience of living in Cambridge, I would say that the estimate for living costs are a little on the high side, but it will depend a lot on your age - I think they are probably high because they estimate that mature students may be less prepared to slum it that younger people. It's easier to live in a shared house at 22 than 42, and you may find as a mature student that there are certain economies that are painful to make.

Should the fees rise to 9k, I would guess that Cams will raise fees in line with that next year. However it is highly unlikely that they will go the Liverpool/Edinburgh route and raise them to 19k+, as it would go against the ethos of providing 'second chance' type education to older students. I'm only making an educated guess though, so don't take that as gospel.

Not a vet student, but I do have an encyclopaedic knowledge of costs.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.