Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

James Blake Watch

ReputationRep:
    The new kid on the block, only 21, but with a few EPs out there is showing a huge amount of promise. I sure can't wait for his first album because the likes of Postpone, CMYK, Klavierwieke are fantastic and something completely new and fresh. And that is such a good thing to say in this day and age, especially when it sounds great too. Heard a few people tout him as the new Burial, though of course it's very different to Burial.

If you haven't heard of him, i would recommend you give him a listen.

ReputationRep:
    I discovered this guy the other month. I love his latest two EPs, I still need to hear his first two EPs though. The vocal drop at the end of Postpone is one of the most creative things I have heard.
    Limit To Your Love is getting some Radio 1 airplay, apparently. I think when his album drops in February, he's explode in popularity.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard about him so much but still not got around to listening to him. Apparently he's dropped dubstep for a more traditional sound.

ReputationRep:
    Love love love, only heard about him when I was listening to a rinse fm podcast but have been hooked sine then. Must have listened to cmyk and love what happened here about 100 times

ReputationRep:
    Yeah he's sick, his remix of Mount Kimbie's Maybes is amazing.

ReputationRep:
    Yep CMYK is great, and I downloaded Klavierwieke earlier today, haven't listened to it yet. I read that his album is out February 7th, looking forward to it!

ReputationRep:
    album leaked

ReputationRep:
    As you can tell, I like him.
    Listening to this album, very good. Very sparse so far.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    He's dropped the dubstep??! But he was do innovative!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doughnuts!!)
    He's dropped the dubstep??! But he was do innovative!
    It doesn't sound very dubstep. No big drops, but this is incredible. In my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    I finally got round to listening to his EPs the other night. Brilliant stuff. Must get on his album NOW.

ReputationRep:
    This album is brilliant too.

ReputationRep:
    He is very good.

ReputationRep:
    Bumping this. Saw him live the other night. Worst gig of my life. Lifeless, miserable, depressive performance. And only 40 minutes in length where he just basically played his album out in entirety all the way through. I was livid at the end when it finished. CMYK was not played, not anything other than his album. Never felt so angry after a gig anyway. Spent £11 for that tripe. Anyway his album sucks majorly. The vocals in there are incredibly bad. Instrumentation is good in places though but the vocals make it all sound dreadful. Such a shame though. If he made an album like CMYK EP it would be one of the best album of the decade no questions. CMYK and Postpone remain two of my most played songs of last year and i think they are genius, and highly innovative.

I felt highly embarrassed after though. I had a few drinks too, and i'm not the one to get angry after a few drinks, but that performance was so bad i was. So i see the drummer and the guitarist outside and so walk past saying loudly "worst gig of my life". Then we realise James Blake was over there too so we went back over there. I tried not to be a **** and told him how much gutted i was that CMYK et al didn't appear and that Postpone was my most played track of last year and how genius i thought the EP was. Basically i just bigged up that EP as it is so damn good. But yeh he seems like a genuine nice quiet/shy guy, hence my embarrassment after of my stupid comment walking past!

Anyway, i would highly advise you to not see him gigging. A club night might be a lot better as i'm sure CMYK and that stuff is more suited for that sort of thing.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really know what I think about this young man, James Blake. I like all of his stuff that he brought out before his album... but when the album came out, I wasn't impressed. Anyone think that every song sounds exactly the same? All his other songs and EPs have distinct and incredibly likeable sounds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gob Bluth)
    Bumping this. Saw him live the other night. Worst gig of my life. Lifeless, miserable, depressive performance. And only 40 minutes in length where he just basically played his album out in entirety all the way through. I was livid at the end when it finished. CMYK was not played, not anything other than his album. Never felt so angry after a gig anyway. Spent £11 for that tripe. Anyway his album sucks majorly. The vocals in there are incredibly bad. Instrumentation is good in places though but the vocals make it all sound dreadful. Such a shame though. If he made an album like CMYK EP it would be one of the best album of the decade no questions. CMYK and Postpone remain two of my most played songs of last year and i think they are genius, and highly innovative.

I felt highly embarrassed after though. I had a few drinks too, and i'm not the one to get angry after a few drinks, but that performance was so bad i was. So i see the drummer and the guitarist outside and so walk past saying loudly "worst gig of my life". Then we realise James Blake was over there too so we went back over there. I tried not to be a **** and told him how much gutted i was that CMYK et al didn't appear and that Postpone was my most played track of last year and how genius i thought the EP was. Basically i just bigged up that EP as it is so damn good. But yeh he seems like a genuine nice quiet/shy guy, hence my embarrassment after of my stupid comment walking past!

Anyway, i would highly advise you to not see him gigging. A club night might be a lot better as i'm sure CMYK and that stuff is more suited for that sort of thing.
    This makes me feel a lot better for not being able to go. He doesn't look like the best peformer; it's one thing being able to play the songs, but to put some life into them is another. Feel his album had some good moments and some dull, which is a shame. He definitely has a LOT of potential though, and a lot of good ideas. So bring on album number two!

ReputationRep:
    yeah the album isn't what it was hyped up to be. wilhelm scream and limit to your love are the only good songs on it. hope he goes back to the style of his EPs.

ReputationRep:
    Love his music, radio one seem to like it at the moment aswell. He's rather attractive

ReputationRep:
    People aren't loving the album? It's (so far) my favourite of the year. I went to see him live on Thursday night in a tiny church. It didn't really do the bass much justice, but I was quite impressed. The raw piano songs were lovely. Though he should have played a longer set and at least one song from his EPs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Panda Bear)
    People aren't loving the album? It's (so far) my favourite of the year. I went to see him live on Thursday night in a tiny church. It didn't really do the bass much justice, but I was quite impressed. The raw piano songs were lovely. Though he should have played a longer set and at least one song from his EPs.
    The album is really good. Gil Scott-Heron And Jamie xx's-'We're New Here' is the best so far this year though imo.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.