Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I just can't wake up early enough Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey, basically I suffer from depression and most mornings when I wake up, I just think "I can't be assed" and go straight back to bed, usually waking up at 12, 1 or 2 in the afternoon. Obviously this means I miss lectures, seminars, weightlifting, kickboxing etc. and it's impacting on pretty much all areas of my life.
    I take anitdepressants and see a counsellor but, I don't know how to get rid of this negativity as soon as I wake up. Even when I can be assed to wake up, I find it hard not to go back to my warm, cozy bed.

I know that the only person who can motivate me is myself and I need to give myself a massive kick up the ass but, any hints from alarms to getting my housemates to pour a bucket of water over my bed whenever I get up would be great. Or any tips to deal with the depression, Can't be bothered to go into too much detail about it cos waking up is more important, plus I should be catching up on missed lectures now.

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you do something which involves going out of the house in the morning which means you can't possibly get back into bed. Hopefully if you can keep it up you won't feel so inclined to go back to bed. Even if it's just a grumpy hour at the gym or something at least you're out doing stuff.

Honestly have no help for the depression so I'm not even going to suggest something but hopefully you'll find a 'cure' which works for you. Best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hothedgehog)
    Why don't you do something which involves going out of the house in the morning which means you can't possibly get back into bed. Hopefully if you can keep it up you won't feel so inclined to go back to bed. Even if it's just a grumpy hour at the gym or something at least you're out doing stuff.

Honestly have no help for the depression so I'm not even going to suggest something but hopefully you'll find a 'cure' which works for you. Best of luck.
    I do make a daily timetable (I'm abit anal about that) that will say something like 7:00 - Wake Up, 7:15 - Breakfast, 8:00 - Gym. Except I don't stick to it and by the time I wake up I can't be assed to go to the gym. Thanks for the suggestion though. I used to have an exercise bike when I lived at home and I forced myself every morning before breakfast to go on it for half an hour.

ReputationRep:
    OP I know the feeling. I got so bad I couldnt even be bothered to get out of bed to take my anti depressants. I've stopped taking them, just need to tell my doctor and Ive found literally you just have to do whatever it takes to get yourself out of bed. Like set personal meetings with tutors for 9am, promise a friend youll meet them in town, promise youll ring home early, make a doctors appointment early. This is what I've found is the only way to do it. For me anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmmm I think I have this problem, do you tend to wake up when your alarm goes off but snoooze it every 10 minutes till your 3 hours late?

ReputationRep:
    Get housemates to wake you up if they are up, not busy and it's not an inconvenience for them. Or go to bed evening time, then you'll wake up at like 3/4 am and cba, then sleep again ready to get up at 7/8 am? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonski)
    Hmmmm I think I have this problem, do you tend to wake up when your alarm goes off but snoooze it every 10 minutes till your 3 hours late?
    I do this every morning I even tried putting my alarm at the other side of my room so I'd have to get up to turn it off, but even then I turn it off and get straight back into bed.

ReputationRep:
    I feel your pain Go to bed earlier?

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much, I do the snooze thing for about an hour, until I realise snooze is pointless so I turn my alarm off and wake up even later

ReputationRep:
    Sleep earlier? Then you will wake up automatically at 7.

ReputationRep:
    What time are you going to bed at the moment? Do you have trouble getting to sleep at night?

ReputationRep:
    I think we all know that feeling. It's called being a teenager/student/lazy git.

I know you have depression but still, like the rest of us you just need to get up and get on with it. No point asking an internet forum to help you. None of us like mornings!

ReputationRep:
    why not buy several cheap alarm clocks, or if u can set several different alarms on your phone. Set them for 5 mins apart, and put them on the other side of the room, so say one at 7.00, 7.05, 7.10, 7.15, 7.20. for each one you have to get out of bed to switch them off, then you will be too awake. or do some quick exercise, like star jumps to wake yourself up and get you in the mood for breakfast and the gym?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TWF)
    Sleep earlier? Then you will wake up automatically at 7.
    I try but, even if I get in bed at 10 then I'll just lie there till about 11 or midnight, get up and do something else until I feel tired. The other night I tried staying up all night so I could go to bed at 9pm the next night, which I did. I woke up at 8 and though, **** it, can't be bothered today and went straight back to bed

ReputationRep:
    you can buy alarms that run away from you or have puzzles you need to solve before you can turn them off- would they wake you up more?

ReputationRep:
    You should probably get about 700 alarms and put it around your room and bathroom and just around where you live basically. Once you start walking around you'll be wide awake.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deadlifts)
    Hey, basically I suffer from depression and most mornings when I wake up, I just think "I can't be assed" and go straight back to bed, usually waking up at 12, 1 or 2 in the afternoon. Obviously this means I miss lectures, seminars, weightlifting, kickboxing etc. and it's impacting on pretty much all areas of my life.
    I take anitdepressants and see a counsellor but, I don't know how to get rid of this negativity as soon as I wake up. Even when I can be assed to wake up, I find it hard not to go back to my warm, cozy bed.

I know that the only person who can motivate me is myself and I need to give myself a massive kick up the ass but, any hints from alarms to getting my housemates to pour a bucket of water over my bed whenever I get up would be great. Or any tips to deal with the depression, Can't be bothered to go into too much detail about it cos waking up is more important, plus I should be catching up on missed lectures now.

Cheers
    Same here, OP...most mornings I literally feel like there is no point getting out of bed. Even if I wake up on time to get to a seminar etc, sometimes I'll just convince myself that it'd ber pointless going to it anyway, and go back to sleep :/ sooo...I don't really have any helpful advice I'm afraid...just empathy! If I find something that works, I'll let you know!

ReputationRep:
    Yes =\ Always , erm thats not depression is it?!?!

ReputationRep:
    I try but, even if I get in bed at 10 then I'll just lie there till about 11 or midnight, get up and do something else until I feel tired. The other night I tried staying up all night so I could go to bed at 9pm the next night, which I did. I woke up at 8 and though, **** it, can't be bothered today and went straight back to bed
    Do your meds even work, or is it only when you wake up because you haven't taken them for a while?

If they don't, you should change them. Anti-depressants are notorious for having an opposite effect, some might work just right and some could be completely wrong.

ReputationRep:
    I do make a daily timetable (I'm abit anal about that) that will say something like 7:00 - Wake Up, 7:15 - Breakfast, 8:00 - Gym. Except I don't stick to it and by the time I wake up I can't be assed to go to the gym. Thanks for the suggestion though. I used to have an exercise bike when I lived at home and I forced myself every morning before breakfast to go on it for half an hour.
    Why don't you try a bit more of a realistic timetable for yourself? Say something like 8.30 wake up, 9pm get out of bed and shower etc. and that way you won't waste the whole day but you'll be more likely to actually follow it because it's a bit easier.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 1, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.