Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is there a definitive way to establish if you're dreaming or awake? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Classic Descartes. Can you beyond a doubt tell if you're a awake as opposed to dreaming?

Perhaps there is no fool proof method for this, maybe there is. Either way, what methods could be employed (regardless of if they're fool proof) to attempt to establish if we're sleeping or not?

My friend suggested that we cannot feel pain whilst we sleep, which is where the expression "pinch me I must be dreaming" surely comes from.

Ideas?

ReputationRep:
    You have certainty of existence is one form or another. If we use Descartes example then collective thoughts are the function of existing. If you doubt that you turn to solipsism which is a dangerous road where your abstract is your reality.

ReputationRep:
    Open and try to read a book. If it has understandable text, you're awake. Otherwise you're dreaming!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoeLatics)
    Open and try to read a book. If it has understandable text, you're awake. Otherwise you're dreaming!
    Nope. I remember reading books (or being under the illusion of reading a book) when I've been sleep . OP, are you by any chance a solipsist?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whythehellnot)
    Classic Descartes. Can you beyond a doubt tell if you're a awake as opposed to dreaming?

Perhaps there is no fool proof method for this, maybe there is. Either way, what methods could be employed (regardless of if they're fool proof) to attempt to establish if we're sleeping or not?

My friend suggested that we cannot feel pain whilst we sleep, which is where the expression "pinch me I must be dreaming" surely comes from.

Ideas?
    Easy.

ReputationRep:
    IF you're dreaming you'll eventually wake up?
    plus my dreams are pretty stupid, they might seem 'real' at the time.
    but when i wake up i realise that i didnt just fly over london, get pregnant by my friend and live in about 3 different places in the space of an hour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles0ox)
    IF you're dreaming you'll eventually wake up?
    plus my dreams are pretty stupid, they might seem 'real' at the time.
    but when i wake up i realise that i didnt just fly over london, get pregnant by my friend and live in about 3 different places in the space of an hour.
    Not if you're in the matrix or a brain in a vat, with neuroscientists stimulating certain parts of your brain to produce mental states which to you are `reality'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Boney King of Nowhere)
    Not if you're in the matrix or a brain in a vat, with neuroscientists stimulating certain parts of your brain to produce mental states which to you are `reality'
    yeah but in real life that doesnt happen.

ReputationRep:
    interesting post.
    I once dreamt that I woke up after a dream, I was laying on my bed and went downstairs and talked to my mom. after some time again, I woke up, and I realised that i only was dreaming of waking up. it's probably confusing but it did happen to me. I even asked my mom if we talked, she said we didn't.
    Actually I used to have so many dreams, some of them very entertaining too.
    Sometimes in my dreams, I realize that it's a dream so I always try to fly for some odd reason, and just as I start flying , I usually wake up.
    I don't think there is a certain method which would show wether youare dreaming or not. and by the way, you can feel pain in your dreams. I could anyway.

ReputationRep:
    i think it depends on the individual
    i know im dreaming if i can't remember how i got somewhere because i never travel in my dreams (i just sort of am there, places come to me as much as i go to them)
    but i know a lot of people will travel in their dreams
    one that should work is looking at a clock, it will only make sence in reality, in a dream the time will be obviously wrong, or will keep changing randomly
    another one is that you should always be able to see, even in the dark
    you may find that you can't count your fingers in your dreams

ReputationRep:
    I know this is weird but I can tell when I'm in a dream, everything is confusing and nothing is easy to do.

ReputationRep:
    yeah but in real life that doesnt happen.
    What? The whole point of such scenarios is to show that we can't be sure this IS real life.

ReputationRep:
    What? The whole point of such scenarios is to show that we can't be sure this IS real life.
    i thought that when i wrote it lol.
    i cba with this 'is this reality?' debates, i seem to be really rubbish at them lol

ReputationRep:
    i thought that when i wrote it lol.
    i cba with this 'is this reality?' debates, i seem to be really rubbish at them lol
    They're not worth a lot of thought to be honest, we can't know either way if we're in the matrix/brain in a vat or not.

Although some people think it's far more likely we are living in a simulation than not. This is an interesting read if you have the time http://www.simulation-argument.com/matrix.html

ReputationRep:
    They're not worth a lot of thought to be honest, we can't know either way if we're in the matrix/brain in a vat or not.

Although some people think it's far more likely we are living in a simulation than not. This is an interesting read if you have the time http://www.simulation-argument.com/matrix.html
    Wow thats a long article...
    but yeah you're right

ReputationRep:
    I would have thought that the difference between a 'dream' reality and an 'actual reality' was really just a case of arbitrary definition.

How do I know I'm not dreaming at the moment? Because I define the reality that I'm experiencing at the moment (that I experience most often, have the most recollection of, and whose events have the most long-lasting effects) as the "real" one. Even if it so happens that I'm just in the Matrix or something - as far as I'm concerned, this is "real".

ReputationRep:
    No matter how weird my dream is, I never realise that it's too strange to be real and that I must be dreaming. Odd eh?

ReputationRep:
    This is one of the most stupid questions I've ever heard. Can't believe people are taking it seriously tbh.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I have very realistic dreams. Often I find myself getting up, showering, changing, drying my hair, having breakfast, then leaving the flat...all before waking up and realising I've slept through my alarm...

Also the night I got my drink spiked I was unable to distinguish between reality and dreams, I was convinced that I was dreaming, and yet at the same time was convinced everything was real. Twas terrifying.

ReputationRep:
    The other day I was dreaming I was with some good looking guys and I said to one of them, ' pinch me, i must be dreaming'. So he pinched me, in my dream and it hurt. :lol: x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.