Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Housemates arguing over heating. Watch

Our has bills have gone up considerably in the past few months and as a result one of the girls has decided we can't have the heating on anymore. I live with 5 girls and out of us only 2 have heaters, which they are using constantly. They're going so far as to carry the heater downstairs when they're cooking/watching tv/working so the heaters are literally on constantly, but only in their rooms so the rest of the house is freezing.
    Surely this is going to cost more than having the heating on for a couple of hours a day? I have no idea how much it is costing us in terms of gas vs. electricity so if anyone has any idea I'd appreciate the help.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a heated argument. Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    Arguments like this suck. Esp when you can't all agree in the end. I'd just have a 'housemeeting' and come to some kind of arrangement. Dunno what else you can do!

ReputationRep:
    Those electric heaters are expensive, I would say its better to use gas and heat the whole house. Heating is a nasty issue which exposes a lot about some people who are basically selfish and try to screw their mates for money.

ReputationRep:
    I have had something like this before over heating. Those little heaters are ridiculously sore on electricity! Tell them to shut up and turn the heating on the stingy sods!

ReputationRep:
    Just have it on a constant heat for a few hours over the night, instead of really hot, short blasts. The heating will be less when it gets warmer anyway. It's really selfish to make everyone live in the cold, but maybe ask your landlord about estimated costs?

(Original post by Hana_87)
    Arguments like this suck. Esp when you can't all agree in the end. I'd just have a 'housemeeting' and come to some kind of arrangement. Dunno what else you can do!
    Well the girl who decided we weren't using the heating anymore is very confrontational, its the sort of situation where if we call a housemeeting then she'll refuse to listen to anyone and make the situation in the house majorly awkward.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Our has bills have gone up considerably in the past few months and as a result one of the girls has decided we can't have the heating on anymore. I live with 5 girls and out of us only 2 have heaters, which they are using constantly. They're going so far as to carry the heater downstairs when they're cooking/watching tv/working so the heaters are literally on constantly, but only in their rooms so the rest of the house is freezing.
    Surely this is going to cost more than having the heating on for a couple of hours a day? I have no idea how much it is costing us in terms of gas vs. electricity so if anyone has any idea I'd appreciate the help.
    Those two using their heaters all the time will be costing you an incredible amount, electric heaters are vastly more expensive than just heating the whole house properly. They are being selfish, horrible people, and you probably may as well let them know this.

ReputationRep:
    1kw/h = ~15p
    Those portable heater are typically 2-3kw/h
    This means it costs up to 45p per hour per heater
    So if they are on constantly you need to do something with the insulation, communal area & the next step dressing up...

ReputationRep:
    Tell them that their use of heaters and no heating on in the house is unfair for you who aren't using heaters and tell them that you'll expect them to contribute more to the electricity bills as a result. It's unreasonable not to have your heating on during this kind of weather. Perhaps get a thermometer and put it somewhere in the house and decide on a temperature that should be your minimum temperature for the house. If it gets colder than this then put the heating on, otherwise it's off. I have a thermometer in my room and if it's colder than about 16c then I'll turn the heating on. 16c's not exactly warm but it's probably a fair temperature for a student house. Our house has been about 10c this weekend though whilst we've all been out, seriously cold! Also, make people wear two jumpers etc. around the house, for goodness sake, i'm sitting at my desk in a sleeping bag!

ReputationRep:
    Like everyone else has said electric heaters cost a considerable amount more than gas so by trying to save money its actually going to cost you more in the long run...check your tarriff for your gas, because you might be paying a standing charge anyway so you'll be paying (mines around 25p a day) to not use your heating....

ReputationRep:
    We aloways get emails from the landlord saying that the heating has to be on for a minimum of 3-4 hours in cold times especially now so that the pipes dont freeze/ mould isnt caused by condensation and stuff. So thats a pretty good arguement. Maybe get your landlord to email a similar reminder to everyone.

ReputationRep:
    Your housemate sounds hot.

ReputationRep:
    I am so glad my rent is inclusive of all bills.

ReputationRep:
    The whole ban on central heating is idiotic in my opinion. Temperatures out there are below minus 0 degrees, people could literally freeze to death in their homes. Surely life and health is worth more than a measly couple of 100 quid.

Those little electric heaters will also end up costing you way more than the gas would have.

ReputationRep:
    You could turn the heat up and pressure them. Had to be done.

ReputationRep:
    Put on a jumper. If it's still too cold, then put the heating on for short periods during the day to warm it up a bit. If only one room in the house needs heating (like if you're the only one home and you're only in your room) then using a heater is more economical than wasting energy heating the whole house, but if there are several of you throughout the house then obviously electric heaters are going to be more expensive.

Tell your housemates to stop being stupid, in a polite way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Well the girl who decided we weren't using the heating anymore is very confrontational, its the sort of situation where if we call a housemeeting then she'll refuse to listen to anyone and make the situation in the house majorly awkward.
    Don't let yourselves be ruled by one person, stand up to her and hopefully the rest will follow suit.

It's better to stand up to her because if you don't, people might start *****ing about each other and little cliques will start forming in the house.

ReputationRep:
    It's far more efficient to use the gas to heat the whole house rather than for 2 greedy bints to have their heaters on wherever I go. When I had similar problems in a shared house I used to wear my hot water bottle under my jumper wherever I went, and wear tonnes of layers! I also used to put the heating on when I was home alone and they never found out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hothedgehog)
    Perhaps get a thermometer and put it somewhere in the house and decide on a temperature that should be your minimum temperature for the house. If it gets colder than this then put the heating on, !
    Exactly what the thermostat is for.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 30, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.