Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Welsh students who go to welsh universities wont have fees increased Watch

ReputationRep:
    The fees will increase but welsh students will be entitled to a welsh tuition grant meaning they still only take out the £3290 loan.

Fees at welsh universities will increase for the rest of students.

Source: http://wales.gov.uk/newsroom/educati...0fees/?lang=en

Actually, the title is wrong.

WELSH STUDENTS WHO GO TO ANY UNIVERSITY IN THE UK WILL ONLY PAY £3290.

THEREFORE, IF YOU ARE WELSH AND GO TO CAMBRIDGE, YOU WILL PAY £3290 WHEREAS SOMEONE WHO IS ENGLISH (IF THE REVIEW GOES THROUGH) MAY PAY UPTO £12000.

THEREFORE, GRADUATES FROM WALES WILL GRADUATE WITH MUCH LESS DEBT THAN STUDENTS FROM ENGLAND.

I HOPE ENGLISH STUDENTS GET WHAT THEY WANT NOW LEIGHTON ANDREWS IS A LEGEND !

ReputationRep:
    Well, considering this is the man who came out last year and said he wanted to destroy the "entrenched ruling classes" in Welsh Universities, by slicing the budget and shutting down unneccessary institutions...this is a strange little u-turn that brings a smile to my face.

Essentially, while we probably won't be lucky enough to be subsidised to the point that we can still claim that staying in Wales means we pay £1200 instead of £3600 a year, the average Welsh student will still end up being at least £6000 better off when compared to their English counterparts. If this manages to work, without driving Wales into a giant sinkhole of debts, cuts to other areas, or inflated taxes, it might actually be the first step towards proving that Devolution is actually worth it.

ReputationRep:
    aaaaa please tell me the likely hood of this actually happening i so want this to be the case. But how can wales afford it ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CatatonicStupor)
    Well, considering this is the man who came out last year and said he wanted to destroy the "entrenched ruling classes" in Welsh Universities, by slicing the budget and shutting down unneccessary institutions...this is a strange little u-turn that brings a smile to my face.

Essentially, while we probably won't be lucky enough to be subsidised to the point that we can still claim that staying in Wales means we pay £1200 instead of £3600 a year, the average Welsh student will still end up being at least £6000 better off when compared to their English counterparts. If this manages to work, without driving Wales into a giant sinkhole of debts, cuts to other areas, or inflated taxes, it might actually be the first step towards proving that Devolution is actually worth it.
    We could be £18,000 better off really.

If we are having upto £6000 per year of tuition through a Wales Tuition Grant then over 3 years thats a massive saving.

The money is being sliced off the top of the teaching budget. It was stated in a speech by Leighton Andrews. It will pretty much be the same as it is now except those in 2012 won't pay anything until they earn over £21,000 but will have a small amount of interest, rather than just the inflation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rsp)
    aaaaa please tell me the likely hood of this actually happening i so want this to be the case. But how can wales afford it ?
    Its happening and it was announced by Leighton Andrews.

The money to support welsh students is being cut from the top of the teaching budget.

ReputationRep:
    So can I just spend my gap year in Wales and reapply?!
    Surely that's a solution!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jb9191)
    Its happening and it was announced by Leighton Andrews.

The money to support welsh students is being cut from the top of the teaching budget.
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA I AM SOOOOOOOOOOOO HAPPY ANYONE ELSE?????? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    I wish to study medicine and this will save me an astronomical amount, the tuition fees rise had started to give me doubts whether i could suffer the financial burden but now weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyy yyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Well that's a relief. I still feel sorry for the English students though.

Here
    is the BBC's report on it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rsp)
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA I AM SOOOOOOOOOOOO HAPPY ANYONE ELSE?????? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    I wish to study medicine and this will save me an astronomical amount, the tuition fees rise had started to give me doubts whether i could suffer the financial burden but now weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyy yyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!
    Not really happy.

Do you know how much of a knob I'll feel paying £3290 per year for a computer science degree when someone English sat next to me has to pay £6000+ depending on what they are set at - for the same degree.

I'll get a debt of about £10,000 in tuition fees whilst they get a debt of around £20,000 - 25,000 for the same course. Its a bit unfair I think.

I honestly hope and pray all the English students go crazy now and demand they scrap the fee increase.

Can you imagine going into a shop and an English person pays £150 for an iPod and then you try and buy the same one and the guy behind the counter asks if you're English or Welsh, you tell him you're Welsh and he says its going to cost you £600 because of your nationality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGrandmaster)
    Well that's a relief. I still feel sorry for the English students though.

Here
    is the BBC's report on it
    It may actually be better to go in 2012 for Welsh students now.

You'll pay the same and have the same debt, however you start paying back after you earn £21,000 rather than £15,000 if you enter in 2011.

Everyone should defer entry :P

ReputationRep:
    Not really happy.

Do you know how much of a knob I'll feel paying £3290 per year for a computer science degree when someone English sat next to me has to pay £6000+ depending on what they are set at - for the same degree.

I'll get a debt of about £10,000 in tuition fees whilst they get a debt of around £20,000 - 25,000 for the same course. Its a bit unfair I think.

I honestly hope and pray all the English students go crazy now and demand they scrap the fee increase.

Can you imagine going into a shop and an English person pays £150 for an iPod and then you try and buy the same one and the guy behind the counter asks if you're English or Welsh, you tell him you're Welsh and he says its going to cost you £600 because of your nationality.

sorry bur i disagree this shows that devoluton works , we are a separate country (yes i know not independent) but we have the power to make a different decision and we have! Saying u would feel guilty is like saying that the international student should pay the same and you feel guilty that they have to pay thousands more. Yes i hope they get a good result and get rid of the increase but quite honestly im not going to sit there and feel guilty!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fredster2004)
    So can I just spend my gap year in Wales and reapply?!
    Surely that's a solution!
    no. you have to be welsh. or have lived there for 3 years (or maybe more?) or come from an EU country that is not england/scotland/n.ireland to be eligable for any of the different rules regarding welsh uni tuition fees

also

Not really happy.

bare in mind it is no different than to how it is now. only with bigger figures involved. the welsh aready get cheaper fees for studying in a welsh uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rsp)
    sorry bur i disagree this shows that devoluton works , we are a separate country (yes i know not independent) but we have the power to make a different decision and we have! Saying u would feel guilty is like saying that the international student should pay the same and you feel guilty that they have to pay thousands more. Yes i hope they get a good result and get rid of the increase but quite honestly im not going to sit there and feel guilty!
    I don't feel guilty but just think its unfair.

I wouldn't like to be English and have to pay thousands extra to obtain the same degree.

ReputationRep:
    Go devolution...

I don't think it is a good idea, the UK as a whole should suffer the fees rising. I could of gone to a Welsh Uni and had to pay 50% less than I do now, though this idea is good for helping poorer students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelofmel)
    no. you have to be welsh. or have lived there for 3 years (or maybe more?) or come from an EU country that is not england/scotland/n.ireland to be eligable for any of the different rules regarding welsh uni tuition fees
    you have to be a welsh domicile.

Basically you must have been permanently resident in Wales.

You have to be born in Wales and live in Wales.

http://wales.gov.uk/newsroom/educati...0fees/?lang=en

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1F2R3)
    Go devolution...

I don't think it is a good idea, the UK as a whole should suffer the fees rising. I could of gone to a Welsh Uni and had to pay 50% less than I do now, though this idea is good for helping poorer students.
    Why should we suffer because of two English politicians?

We are Wales and therefore we should be able to make our own decisions.

I fully agree with the decision today.

Welsh Independence FTW !

ReputationRep:
    There's a Welsh Assembly? How quaint.

ReputationRep:
    you have to be a welsh domicile.

Basically you must have been permanently resident in Wales.

You have to be born in Wales and live in Wales.

http://wales.gov.uk/newsroom/educati...0fees/?lang=en

ok so maybe not the 3 year thing unless your parents had moved you there. the EU thing i think possibly if they were studying in a welsh uni, but not in england. i know for a fact that holds true on the current system...cant see a reason why it would change on the new.

ReputationRep:
    I am saved, fellow Welshies are saved! YAY!!!

Sorry English peoples... truly.

ReputationRep:
    oh no this sucks. im english and this is really annoying.
    good for you though welsh students, no one needs to say sorry
    the united kingdom may as well be called united of england if there's gonna be a divide like this between scotland/wales and england
    we're all the same students doing same degrees with same amount of non existent spare cash so now england just have to lower the cappp

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.