Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Well, basically I grew up in a very deprived area, full of crime, not many had jobs and the ones that did were either on very low salaries or minimum wage. My parents, though very clever only earn about £25-26k per year between them. Im the first person in my family to go to university, and I am kinda proud of that, but since coming, I have noticed myself becoming a little bitter..

Everyone around me, wither that be in my flat, in my class or my friends I met here, they all come from good backgrounds, with plenty of money and parents that earn like 50-60k and they all think this is normal! Im constantly hearing of how skint they all are and how their parents had to send them a grand to help them out! All the while my parents are too damn poor to send me any thing but support, good wishes and the occasion tenner to go out to the pub with!

I mean just yesterday, a girl in my class said, " nowhere really pays minimum wage any more though do they? ", genuinely astounded that people actually live on such trivial amounts of money. I laughed, considering I spent 3 years working full time on it, and just about everyone I knew was on it too, the differences in social upbringing are incredible. I'd even work for it now with a big smile on my face if I could actually get a part time job!

I thought that when I came to university there would be tons of people like me, my parents said there would, and with being in the North of England I suspected also. Though it seems not, everyone seems to come from good, safe, wealthy (or at least very comfortable) backgrounds. I feel like a loser when all my friends are going out here, and im stuck at home keeping the little money I have to do the fortnightly shop at Iceland...

Anyway, all of this got me thinking, does anyone else here have a similar stance? Or feel a little inadequate because of their less prestigious upbringing? Or not have someone to bail them out when s**t and fan meet? If so, do tell your story!

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Thats why mums children go to Iceland!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.