Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody know any universities in canada that allow an exemption from first year for students that have taken A levels? or better yet any British universities in canada?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thembi93)
    Does anybody know any universities in canada that allow an exemption from first year for students that have taken A levels? or better yet any British universities in canada?
    British universities in Canada...I am baffled.

I think at least in my university, you're eligible for 12 Advanced credits...but it's not guaranteed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MacSci)
    British universities in Canada...I am baffled.

I think at least in my university, you're eligible for 12 Advanced credits...but it's not guaranteed.
    Sorry, I think I should have explained my situation properly. I would lke to study Mechatronics in Canada. Originally I was supposed to go to the UK but due to cerain circumstances, I can't anymore. All my life I've been exposed to the education system for England and Wales and I'm unfamiliar with the Canadian education system. I'm doing my A levels right now and my understanding, from the universities I've looked at, is that they don't allow transfers for students in A-levels. They need to start from first year. I don't want to feel like I wasted my ttime in A-levels but thats how I feel right now. I was hoping there may be a university I overlooked that accepts A-level transfers.

And also, do you happen to know how long full-time undergraduate programmes in engineering take?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thembi93)
    Sorry, I think I should have explained my situation properly. I would lke to study Mechatronics in Canada. Originally I was supposed to go to the UK but due to cerain circumstances, I can't anymore. All my life I've been exposed to the education system for England and Wales and I'm unfamiliar with the Canadian education system. I'm doing my A levels right now and my understanding, from the universities I've looked at, is that they don't allow transfers for students in A-levels. They need to start from first year. I don't want to feel like I wasted my ttime in A-levels but thats how I feel right now. I was hoping there may be a university I overlooked that accepts A-level transfers.

And also, do you happen to know how long full-time undergraduate programmes in engineering take?
    Alright, I on the other hand, am not quite familiar with UK education system. My understanding is that everyone does up to Year 11 and take GCSE but you have the option of continuing to Year 12 and 13 to get A levels? So is A levels like AP and IB programs? If it is, I'm afraid you won't be able to by-pass an entire year. When I entered university, I believe I could've only transferred 4 AP credits. Aren't you only 17/18 by the time you finish Year 13?

Full-time undergraduate programmes are 4 years, just like all the other degrees. But engineering usually has optional 5 year co-op program as well, which is excellent because you're pretty much guaranteed a job after you graduate.

Hope that helps. Which province are you thinking of?

ReputationRep:
    Yes. I'll be 17 by the time I'm done with my A levels. But I was hoping that I'd be able to enter a course that takes only 3 years after that (I like taking advantage of my youth). What's the average age in canada for graduating from high school?

I was thinking of going to British Columbia or Ontario. Quebec would be nice too.

ReputationRep:
    Most people are 18 by the time they enter university since it starts in September. People with late birthday, obviously, would be 17 when they enter their freshmen year. You'll fit right in...

We do have a 3 year degree as well, but they're not "honours". Usually people who doesn't have the decent grades are kinda forced to take only three years with limited course options. In other words, it's not the norm to not do the Honours.

Taxes in Ontario is fairly high...you'll cry your heart out paying that extra 13% in everything you buy.:mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MacSci)
    Most people are 18 by the time they enter university since it starts in September. People with late birthday, obviously, would be 17 when they enter their freshmen year. You'll fit right in...

We do have a 3 year degree as well, but they're not "honours". Usually people who doesn't have the decent grades are kinda forced to take only three years with limited course options. In other words, it's not the norm to not do the Honours.

Taxes in Ontario is fairly high...you'll cry your heart out paying that extra 13% in everything you buy.:mad:
    We pay 17.5% on most things... soon to be 20%:thumbsup:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisBan)
    We pay 17.5% on most things... soon to be 20%:thumbsup:
    Jeez, where you from?

But isn't the tax already included in the price, in non-US/Can areas? I'd rather prefer that than being tricked into thinking something costs only $100 and realize, oh wait...it's actually 100 plus $13 plus stupid "eco fee" when you buy technology.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.