Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Thinking of Accountancy related career, already have BSc Geography, what r my options Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

First post here, hope this is in the right thread!

I've been thinking about switching to an Accountancy/Finance related career for a while now. I graduated in 2007 with a BSc Geography and have since been working in an unrelated career (Service Engineer). I set up my own Ltd company at the end of last year which is doing well, but I am now looking for a change in career.

I currently only work 3 days a week meaning I have a good amount of spare time. My plan was/is to work with my business while doing a part-time BA Accountancy (possibly BA Accountancy and Finance) at Strathclyde University, as this will allow me to pay for my fees/living costs etc. Then, fold the business once I have my qualification and progress into an Accountancy/Finance related career.

But I realise that this would be another 4/5? years at university, which I don't mind doing, but is still quite a long time.

Should I go down the part time Accountancy degree route at Strathclyde, or are there any other options/courses that I should consider which could lead me to a graduate place with one of the big 4? Do the Big 4 favour graduates with Accountancy degrees over those who have qualified in other accountancy related courses? Also, what are the rough closing dates for applying to UCAS for such courses?

Sorry for my ramblings! ,but any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Big4 take any 2:1 graduate

if you want to study part time do ACCA etc. instead of a degree

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,
    If you are able to commit to four years of study starting next summer then why not consider the EY Degree?
    The Ernst & Young Degree combines the best of student life with challenging and practical opportunities in the workplace, helping you to move onto a career that uses your distinctive abilities to the full. The degree in Accounting, Auditing and Finance is available in partnership with Lancaster University Management School (LUMS), a world-ranked international management school, and The Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland (ICAS), the world’s first professional body of accountants.
    As well as earning an internationally recognised BSc Honours qualification, you will complete 18 months of paid work experience and potential exemptions from a number of ICAS exams. And if you get a 2.1, pass your professional exams and excel during your work placements, you will receive a graduate job offer from one of the most prestigious professional services firms in the world – something that in the current economic climate is becoming increasingly harder for today’s graduates.
    We are looking for students with a diverse range of personal and academic skills; qualities we can help them build on. Students with enthusiasm, ambition and energy, who are excited by business and want to achieve their personal and professional potential. If this sounds like you, and you have the academic results to back it up (A/AS levels: AAA), we would love to hear from you. Find out more about the Ernst & Young Degree, download our latest brochure or be put in touch with a current degree student, on our website: www.ey.com/uk/eyfasttracks .
    If you have any questions please add them to the thread or private message me!
    Steve

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ernst & Young)
    Hi there,
    If you are able to commit to four years of study starting next summer then why not consider the EY Degree?
    The Ernst & Young Degree combines the best of student life with challenging and practical opportunities in the workplace, helping you to move onto a career that uses your distinctive abilities to the full. The degree in Accounting, Auditing and Finance is available in partnership with Lancaster University Management School (LUMS), a world-ranked international management school, and The Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland (ICAS), the world’s first professional body of accountants.
    As well as earning an internationally recognised BSc Honours qualification, you will complete 18 months of paid work experience and potential exemptions from a number of ICAS exams. And if you get a 2.1, pass your professional exams and excel during your work placements, you will receive a graduate job offer from one of the most prestigious professional services firms in the world – something that in the current economic climate is becoming increasingly harder for today’s graduates.
    We are looking for students with a diverse range of personal and academic skills; qualities we can help them build on. Students with enthusiasm, ambition and energy, who are excited by business and want to achieve their personal and professional potential. If this sounds like you, and you have the academic results to back it up (A/AS levels: AAA), we would love to hear from you. Find out more about the Ernst & Young Degree, download our latest brochure or be put in touch with a current degree student, on our website: www.ey.com/uk/eyfasttracks .
    If you have any questions please add them to the thread or private message me!
    Steve
    At Lancaster University. Would the OP move to Lancaster? I doubt this, also why would thier A/AS levels matter when the OP already has a degree, does EY still only condsider A/AS levels?

What kind of things are you doing for first years?

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,
    Forgive my ignorance on this point - OP? For first years we are currently offering a series of Insight Days which will be an opportunity for you to get a feel for what it is like working in a professional services firm on project work. Check these out on the above website also.
    Steve

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ernst & Young)
    Hi there,
    Forgive my ignorance on this point - OP? For first years we are currently offering a series of Insight Days which will be an opportunity for you to get a feel for what it is like working in a professional services firm on project work. Check these out on the above website also.
    Steve
    OP = Original Poster, the person who started the thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Curious888)
    OP = Original Poster, the person who started the thread
    that guy is such a newbie
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBrightShadow)
    that guy is such a newbie
    Do you expect the OR to have a complete knowledge of forums?

As to the OP, you can apply to most graduate schemes, or go straight for your accounting qualifications (get sponsored if you can!).

An accounting related degree isn't really necessary, as long as you've done well, though it may make it harder for a Big 4 scheme (though I'm not sure on that). Remember that there are other companies - the Big 4 aren't the only ones! I know I would prefer to work for a smaller company, at least to start with.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.