Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am currently living in Halls of Residence at the University of Southampton and would like to set up a wireless network in my flat for me and my flatmates. In each of our rooms there is a Freewire phone http://www.freewiretv.com/index.html in the room which also provides my internet via an Ethernet cable to my laptop.

After foolishly buying a Belkin router http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ef=oss_product, I found that I do not have an ADSL connection, but I an internet connection via LAN.

This means I need to buy a router that supports receiving an internet connection from a LAN connection via an Ethernet cable. And I was wondering if anyone could recommend a wireless router that would provide this, preferably not too expensive.

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Get a wireless DSL/Cable router.
    The place you got it from will probably let you return/swap the ADSL for it, as lots and lots of people buy the wrong one so they will be used to it.

A regular wireless access point of any kind would work too as far as I am aware but these are harder to get hold of and commercial "Routers" will do the same job as far as I am aware.

It takes input from a regular Ethernet cable.
    You can then use it to serve both wired and wireless devices.
    (Connect it by ethernet cable to one pc first to set it all up!)

This might be breaching certain t&c of your internet connection though.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks princessmarisa, is it something like this that I want? The phone is already the modem right? So I just need something like this. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Wire...1139067&sr=1-9

And don't worry about the regulations that's my problem, I can't see anything explicitly disallowing it in the halls regulations.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't let your flat mates use it. You are responsible for anything that goes down your internet connection. It's not really worth getting pulled up in front of the head of school to explain someone else downloading dodgy content on your connection.

Also if you make use of the Freewire TV service that's likley to stop working if you've got a router in the way.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 1, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.