Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If An is a real sequence....

If n^2.(An) tends to zero as n tends to infinity, does the series Sum[An] converge?

If n.(An) tends to zero as n tends to infinity, does the series Sum[An] converge?

I'm pretty sure that the answer is yes in both cases, but constructing a nice understandable proof is proving to be more difficult than it should be.

Any hints/ideas would be much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    In the first case, can you use the comparison test to compare to 1/n^2?

In the second case, your answer is wrong. Can you use my hint for the first one to help you construct a counter example. (It diverges very slowly...)

ReputationRep:
    Well a very famous series beginning with h can be used to counteract your yes reply to the second statement

ReputationRep:
    Cheers I've got the first one out.

For the 2nd one am I being completely retarded when I say the 'n's are the same so if An= (1/n) n.(An) = n.(1/n) = 1 for all n, so won't tend to zero....? The harmonic series had crossed my mind about a hundred times but I discounted it for that reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hughh)
    Cheers I've got the first one out.

For the 2nd one am I being completely retarded when I say the 'n's are the same so if An= (1/n) n.(An) = n.(1/n) = 1 for all n, so won't tend to zero....? The harmonic series had crossed my mind about a hundred times but I discounted it for that reason.
    The harmonic series doesn't work. You need something that goes to 0 slightly faster than harmonic. But (1/n)^a will not work for a>1. You'll need something a bit slower than a power of n. Can you think of something?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.