Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,

I've been told to think about my sixth form choices and am considering doing the IB?

I would take
    HL maths , chem , bio
    SL eng, economics , spanish

with the aim of being a medic?

Would anyone who has done it recommend it?
    How much work per night is it?

Any advice would be appreciated

:confused:

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    My friend is doing the IB and I respect him for it because it's something different. The IB is a lot more work because it is the equivalent of 6 A-levels (if you achieve the top grade that is). I think it takes a lot more brains because you have to take maths, science, languages, humanities and art. The other benefit about the IB is that it's internationally recognised. If you travel to the US or other countries, you're more likely to get acknowledged than someone who studied A-levels, which is only really recognised in the UK. I think as years go on more and more colleges will introduce the IB and more students will choose to do it. Universities love the IB and are accepting more and more students who do it. If you're prepared to do a lot of work and have the brains then do it (a recommended minimum of 8 GCSE grades at B-grade is recommended).

ReputationRep:
    Everyone says you can either have IB or your social life, how much work is your friend doing?

ReputationRep:
    HL math will kill you - I guarantee. As my teacher put it: "If you do Calculus every day of the week while your eating breakfast, lunch and dinner and while your asleep and you LOVE it - then HL math is something for you" I suggest doing SL Math while taking HL Economics instead - it will get you some more hours of sleep :P
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timothyravinder)
    Hey everyone,

I've been told to think about my sixth form choices and am considering doing the IB?

I would take
    HL maths , chem , bio
    SL eng, economics , spanish

with the aim of being a medic?

Would anyone who has done it recommend it?
    How much work per night is it?

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks!
    I am currently doing the IB. In year 12 you will find it very enjoyable, if you like to learn and explore loads of new ideas and complex things then, you will enjoy year 12. You can have plenty of time to revise and score well for predictions. But do not get lazy, trust me it is easy to get complacent.

But year 13 .... that is a whole 'nother issue. Dear God I am dying from doing coursework from all 7 subjects at the same time, then exams in january (mocks) then real exams from 28th april to 20th may . I have about 20 exams o_0 ... trust me, if you tend to procrastinate and cannot focus and give up a lot of your time (especially because of CAS) do not do IB! You will regret it, and your grades may suffer if you cannot keep up.

There is a quiz that fits the IB to the letter:
    Choose 2 of the following:
    - Good Grades
    - Enough Sleep
    - Social Life

I basically chose the first 2 but obviously I take time off to have a social and active life, but to be honest it is mainly the first 2. You cannot have a social life and get good grades, your sleep suffers a lot.

But I tend to enjoy the whole intellectual endevour and there is a lot of support from my school. I am probably making it sound worse than it is because I am lazy as heck myself . But I think you should go for it, however be ready for the challenge, it matures you and I honestly can say, you do actually gain a lot of knowledge on a huge range of things, especially with TOK.

However, if you are not ready for a big challenge and a big commitement, do not do the IB!

Do what is right for you, you do not have to be a genius to do IB, however you will regret it if you are not prepared (as a few of my friends are).

But I would recommend it and would do it again

By the way, erm higher maths will KILL you! My friends applying and interviewing at Cambridge for medicine, however she is not even sure she will manage a 6 in Higher math. It is most likely the hardest subject with higher Chemistry second. Higher Chemistry kills me too.

I am a medical applicant this year

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys!

Mr Med. applicant, what have your offers been?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Facticity)
    I am currently doing the IB. In year 12 you will find it very enjoyable, if you like to learn and explore loads of new ideas and complex things then, you will enjoy year 12. You can have plenty of time to revise and score well for predictions. But do not get lazy, trust me it is easy to get complacent.

But year 13 .... that is a whole 'nother issue. Dear God I am dying from doing coursework from all 7 subjects at the same time, then exams in january (mocks) then real exams from 28th april to 20th may . I have about 20 exams o_0 ... trust me, if you tend to procrastinate and cannot focus and give up a lot of your time (especially because of CAS) do not do IB! You will regret it, and your grades may suffer if you cannot keep up.

There is a quiz that fits the IB to the letter:
    Choose 2 of the following:
    - Good Grades
    - Enough Sleep
    - Social Life

I basically chose the first 2 but obviously I take time off to have a social and active life, but to be honest it is mainly the first 2. You cannot have a social life and get good grades, your sleep suffers a lot.

But I tend to enjoy the whole intellectual endevour and there is a lot of support from my school. I am probably making it sound worse than it is because I am lazy as heck myself . But I think you should go for it, however be ready for the challenge, it matures you and I honestly can say, you do actually gain a lot of knowledge on a huge range of things, especially with TOK.

However, if you are not ready for a big challenge and a big commitement, do not do the IB!

Do what is right for you, you do not have to be a genius to do IB, however you will regret it if you are not prepared (as a few of my friends are).

But I would recommend it and would do it again

By the way, erm higher maths will KILL you! My friends applying and interviewing at Cambridge for medicine, however she is not even sure she will manage a 6 in Higher math. It is most likely the hardest subject with higher Chemistry second. Higher Chemistry kills me too.

I am a medical applicant this year
    sorry, off-topic, but do you go to an IB school in london?
    if so, which one?

ReputationRep:

Same. Same. Same. Same. Sa- :vroam:

Personally, I would advise against it - but I may just be suffering from the 2nd Year blues.

Forget no social life: it can, and does, take over. It can get to the point where you feel like you're not yourself anymore and for a course that's known for it's breadth, you can actually end up becoming a very limited person. Ultimately, even with the best organisational skills in the world and the best provisions on the part of your school it is still a hell of a lot of work. I was the most focused student you could meet, aiming for oxbridge, and now, um, I'm not I think perhaps if you're truly one of the 'bright ones' you know that by taking A-levels you may not have the breadth, but you're actually giving yourself the opportiunity to show your ability rather than drowning in work by trying to take the more difficult option in which you won't necessarily get the same kind of results. If that makes any sense.

From a more objective point of view I'd say pros and cons?

Pros - It's the IB, internationalism, breadth of subjects, more intellectual set of people

Cons - disproportionate uni entry requirements when compared to a-level and even other international requirements for the same courses, doesn't allow you to focus on subjects (for example, I was going to apply to Oxford for English this year, but I now can't because I simply don't have time to read outside of school, HL English or no HL English), lack of life...

And I started off in Maths HL too....
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CuriousGeorgie)
    Same. Same. Same. Same. Sa- :vroam:

Personally, I would advise against it - but I may just be suffering from the 2nd Year blues.

Forget no social life: it can, and does, take over. It can get to the point where you feel like you're not yourself anymore and for a course that's known for it's breadth, you can actually end up becoming a very limited person. Ultimately, even with the best organisational skills in the world and the best provisions on the part of your school it is still a hell of a lot of work. I was the most focused student you could meet, aiming for oxbridge, and now, um, I'm not I think perhaps if you're truly one of the 'bright ones' you know that by taking A-levels you may not have the breadth, but you're actually giving yourself the opportiunity to show your ability rather than drowning in work by trying to take the more difficult option in which you won't necessarily get the same kind of results. If that makes any sense.

From a more objective point of view I'd say pros and cons?

Pros - It's the IB, internationalism, breadth of subjects, more intellectual set of people

Cons - disproportionate uni entry requirements when compared to a-level and even other international requirements for the same courses, doesn't allow you to focus on subjects (for example, I was going to apply to Oxford for English this year, but I now can't because I simply don't have time to read outside of school, HL English or no HL English), lack of life...

And I started off in Maths HL too....
    :eek4: another fellow sufferer :cry2:

Well, it is almost over for me now so only a few months to go.

To be honest, I do not know whether I would reccomend it, because on the one hand, as you said A levels give you a chance to excel at a few subjects. However, A levels are also under rated now a days and people actually have to actually shine in many other ways to apply to oxbridge with A levels. But I must admit there have been numerous points at which I nearly gave up :emo:

But, I guess its an experience :rolleyes:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theths)
    sorry, off-topic, but do you go to an IB school in london?
    if so, which one?
    I do not go to a specific school in london to do IB. I live on the outskirts of west london, not in the london zone. The sixth form offers IB.

Why do you ask? Can you not just go to a sixth form which does IB? Many state schools as well as private schools do IB.

ReputationRep:
    How good are you at maths? Think very strongly about HL maths! It's more like further maths at A-level. I got an A* in my GCSEs but found HL maths impossible. I dropped down to standard after a few months and that's pretty easy
    Otherwise yes, IB is worth it without a doubt. I'm so glad I decided to do it. I know everyone is complaining about social life etc. and it taking over your whole life but I don't mind it too much. If you're organised it doesn't feel too bad, I finished my extended essay in June. I'm a little stressed at the minute because my TOK essay is almost in and I have an IOC on Friday.

ReputationRep:
    I do not go to a specific school in london to do IB. I live on the outskirts of west london, not in the london zone. The sixth form offers IB.

Why do you ask? Can you not just go to a sixth form which does IB? Many state schools as well as private schools do IB.
    haha no, i was just curious as to whether you go to my school (:

except i suddenly realised you're a bloke, which is slightly problematic seeing as i go to an all-girls school
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theths)
    haha no, i was just curious as to whether you go to my school (:

except i suddenly realised you're a bloke, which is slightly problematic seeing as i go to an all-girls school
    Ah I see haha no sorry :p:

Well good luck with your schooling :five: ... I'll need all the luck I can get to do my IB :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion the IB is not worth it.

I am currently in my second year and it feels like you get thrusted everything at once. But then again it could be because of my schools lack of experience, I am the 2nd year to take the IB. Since the 1st October, we have been told to do our TOK draft, Extended Essay Draft, World Lit. Essay, Internal English Orals and Drama Coursework before Christmas. But then again is it the lack of my school's experience?

Within the terms of the grades, I believe if you want to study medicine the IB is not a good choice. For first instance, to even pass the IB you have to achieve fours in every subject for universitys to consider, you may enjoy and pass the Biological and Chemistry side of the IB, but you also have to pass a foreign language, your native and a humanties. Whereas within A Levels you can concertrate of the main Sciences, Bio. Chem. and Maths. with an AS. And if you drop the AS then you still are a contender for Medicine.

You also have to find a good university which reconisges the IB correctly. Universitys claim that they recongise the IB, but the question is do they really. My friends and I have noticed a few errors with entry requirements, 1 in 1000 achieve a 7 in any given subject making it almost impossible. My friend was rejected from a uni because of having a predicted six in Chemistry when the requiments were 7 for that indivual subject. That I understand, but looking at the A Level entry requirements, this causes a problem. To gain acceptation of this course you need an B in chemsitry. Looking at UCAS tariff points, this doesn't match up. A B is worth 100 points, whereas a 7 is worth 130 points, and a 6 110. How does this not match the entry requirements. Universitys are not understanding the qualifcations of the IB correctly.

Now, on to your indivual subjects. ONLY, take Maths HL if you really enjoy maths, or are predicted an A*. I currently am studying Maths HL and wow, this is hard. It is a 1/3 A Level Maths, 1/3 A Level Further MAths and 1/3 Degree Level Maths. So be warned!

My work levels, I have five lessons at day, and I get about 1hour work per a subject to do at home. But that's not it, alot of IB is about independant learning. If you are doing the French Revoloution, go home and read around it. In what time, I do not know. I believe the IB0 is working on a different time system to us, as in 48 hours a day, no weekends.

So No, unless you are prepared to work yourself hard for 2 years constant, and really don't know what to do with your life because it is so broad. The IB is really not worth it.

ReputationRep:
    Ah I see haha no sorry :p:

Well good luck with your schooling :five: ... I'll need all the luck I can get to do my IB :sigh:
    won't we all.

so yeah, you too

ReputationRep:
    PLEASE!!! Whatever you do, DO NOT DO HIGHER LEVEL MATHS!!! PLEASE DON'T, RUN, RUN, RUN AWAY FROM HIGHER LEVEL MATHS IF YOU MUST!!! It is a killer that left me depressed and disillusioned. And I only did it for half a term!

Especially since you wish to study medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scribblet)
    How good are you at maths? Think very strongly about HL maths! It's more like further maths at A-level. I got an A* in my GCSEs but found HL maths impossible. I dropped down to standard after a few months and that's pretty easy
    Otherwise yes, IB is worth it without a doubt. I'm so glad I decided to do it. I know everyone is complaining about social life etc. and it taking over your whole life but I don't mind it too much. If you're organised it doesn't feel too bad, I finished my extended essay in June. I'm a little stressed at the minute because my TOK essay is almost in and I have an IOC on Friday.
    Yeah, I feet the same But I don't think its as bad as everyone says it is. There are weeks when you are mega busy and stressed but then there are some weeks that are quite chilled.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xjess1993x)
    In my opinion the IB is not worth it.

I am currently in my second year and it feels like you get thrusted everything at once. But then again it could be because of my schools lack of experience, I am the 2nd year to take the IB. Since the 1st October, we have been told to do our TOK draft, Extended Essay Draft, World Lit. Essay, Internal English Orals and Drama Coursework before Christmas. But then again is it the lack of my school's experience?
    No. We've been given one week's notice for both the English and TOK presentations and maths portfolio, psychology IA, final drafts of both World Lit essays and TOK essay, and EE first draft have to be in by the end of term (so, in...exactly three weeks).

My school's been an IB World School since 1996.

I quite want to top myself

ReputationRep:
    I just finished IB a few weeks ago (November exams) and I don't know if I would recommend it or not. Personally, I liked it, but what people are saying in here is largely true.

IB1=great, fine, manageable, helps a LOT if you work consistently in it.
    IB2=hell on earth. From february this year (start of the school year) to just after my mock exams (august), I had at least one internal assessment/exam every week bar 3. On top of that it the actual course content itself, which for some subjects is massive, and unlike some other courses for a lot of IB subjects you have to know stuff, not be able to rote learn it. Plus the exams are 80% for most subjects so you can't just ignore the content and focus on IA's or else you'll do badly in the exams, but if you want to get 6/7's then you need to do well on the IA's, so it's a nasty little cycle.

You MUST be self-motivated for the IB, otherwise you will get swamped in the workload and it is very hard to get back once you reach that stage. I found that the thing you give up most is sleep, not so much social life; in IB1 my social life was great, in IB2 it suffers a little but I think that it the same with the final year of any course. Just limit yourself to like 1 social thing every weekend or something like that.

Be really prepared for IA's, and finish them well before deadlines (for the ones this is possible for). There are ones you only have a week or so to do (Psych, Maths e.g.) so make sure the ones you can do early (History e.g.) you do, so you can free up the week for the ones I mentioned. For maths portfolios you seriously will not be able to do any other work for that week :P

I found that when it came to revising for my final exams, the subjects that I had consistently worked at over the two years (maths, english, psychology, chemistry) didn't actually require that much study, just quick brush-ups un small areas whereas the subjects I had neglected (history and japanese) required hours and hours and hours of work. So work hard on all of the subjects during IB1 especially and when you can in IB2 and the exams won't be as stressful.

Yes the IB is very hard but if you are a good student who is good at a range of things then I actually think a mark of 32-36, which is very respectable IMO, is actually not too hard to get with not too much effort. Most people on these forums are highly academic and so want marks in the 40's (myself included) and it is this range which is very difficult to get so you tend to hear about the IB from this point of view.

ReputationRep:
    Let me just say, i regret doing the IB because i hardly get any sleep and now am sick of malaria but teachers are still breathing down my neck for internal assessments, english IOC, french IOP, math hl portfolio, 7 biology hl lab reports, 2 chemistry hl lab reports, itgs project report and my deadline is Friday, today night is the senior prom and i have to go because i paid loads of money for the dress and mask and stuff like that and i really need a handkerchief because am about to sneeze really hard.

i hate IB.

But this should not discourage you!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.