Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to help someone when they won't listen to advice Watch

ReputationRep:
    So, I'm helping someone write her personal statement. She's made a joke, a reference to a band. Thing is, the band is obscure and the reference isn't amusing ... although that might be because, by the time you've figured out what it is (and bear in mind, this is a band I listen to,) it's lost all humour.

I'm advising her that it's a very bad idea to include that, because whilst it might be amusing to the one or two who will get it, admissions tutors are unlikely to appreciate it. However, she won't listen to me and insists on keeping it in there.

Is there anything else I can do?

ReputationRep:
    Or is it a case of just let her do it?

ReputationRep:
    Idea of having a joke in a statement is pretty shocking, but seems as if you've done all you can by saying it. Her tutor should tell her the same thing as you are so maybe she will change it, but I wouldn't be too hopeful of her getting many offers with a joke in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rogercbinboy)
    Idea of having a joke in a statement is pretty shocking, but seems as if you've done all you can by saying it. Her tutor should tell her the same thing as you are so maybe she will change it, but I wouldn't be too hopeful of her getting many offers with a joke in it.
    She hasn't got a tutor - independent applicant. She's only got me for advice ... but she's ignoring my advice.

What's the "joke", out of morbid curiosity?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by TheSownRose)
      She hasn't got a tutor - independent applicant. She's only got me for advice ... but she's ignoring my advice.
      Ah rough.

Still sounds as if you're doing all that you can, don't feel too guilty if it doesn't go well for her because you have tried. If you barely get the joke then the unis might totally overlook it as well, although the sentence might make no sense to them.

ReputationRep:
      It's her funeral. Let her get on with it.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ch0llima)
      What's the "joke", out of morbid curiosity?
      She's applying for German and included the line, "The time I spent in a small town in Germany as a beautiful young girl" - do you know what's referencing? Because I would be very amazed if anyone did.

ReputationRep:
      It's a reference from the book, "101 obscure and crappy jokes".

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Rogercbinboy)
      Ah rough.

Still sounds as if you're doing all that you can, don't feel too guilty if it doesn't go well for her because you have tried. If you barely get the joke then the unis might totally overlook it as well, although the sentence might make no sense to them.
      It's fairly obvious it's something because she has it in quotation marks, phrased as such (and I don't mind sharing it, you can find these words on the internet in this exact order): '... the time I spent in "a small town in Germany [as] a beautiful young girl" ...'

Oh Christ... Runrig :afraid:

One of those generic, God awful Scottish rock bands from the 1980s.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by TheSownRose)
        So, I'm helping someone write her personal statement. She's made a joke, a reference to a band. Thing is, the band is obscure and the reference isn't amusing ... although that might be because, by the time you've figured out what it is (and bear in mind, this is a band I listen to,) it's lost all humour.

I'm advising her that it's a very bad idea to include that, because whilst it might be amusing to the one or two who will get it, admissions tutors are unlikely to appreciate it. However, she won't listen to me and insists on keeping it in there.

Is there anything else I can do?
        I think the best thing to do would be just to continue to try and convince her not to include it. I'm sure you're aware of this but the whole point of a quote is to add something unique to a personal statement, and your right it really is very obsure and won't add anything of value to her personal statement. If anything it'll just end up being really really really confusing. Tell her to pick something that'll show her interest in foreign languages instead of picking a lyric out of some obscure song.

where is she applying?...I'm applying for German too

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by ch0llima)
        Oh Christ... Runrig :afraid:

One of those generic, God awful Scottish rock bands from the 1980s.
        Did you know it or Google it?

Runrig, I enjoy (and they're from the 70s - first two albums are from '78 and '79), although they're eclipsed by other bands. Just using that is not a good idea. The song's even in Gaelic; I had to talk her out of writing it in Gaelic (to demonstrate language skills, apparently.)

ReputationRep:
        Anyone who can find space for a joke in a PS hasn't got enough to say about themselves.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Urkel)
        If she continues by including information about what she liked about Germany and it's language, why is it so bad?

As someone who has never heard the song before, I wouldn't even realise it is a joke. I would just read it and potentially think she is either arrogant or conceited.
        Bear in mind she's formatting it '... the time I spent in "a small town in Germany [as] a beautiful young girl" ...' and it's obvious that it is something, even if you don't actually know where it comes from.

ReputationRep:
        Tell her firmly not to do it. If she doesn't follow your advice then you've got a massive "I told you so" moment lined up.

ReputationRep:
        Oh the admissions tutors should realise it's some kind of reference but they won't be amused in the least... even if they do understand it.
        What's she expecting, some kind of personal connection to the tutor?

ReputationRep:
        Just show her this; http://www.studential.com/guide/ps_goals.htm
        I'm sure lots of the other personal statement guides on the web advise this too, so if she won't listen to you maybe she'll listen to them. And if not then it's her decision and you've done all you can. Who knows, maybe they'll like it as it stands out from the crowd?...

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Urkel)
        That is pretty bad - it looks odd and even after some google searches with the lyrics and the band name, I still couldn't find the song.

I would show her this thread or get her to ask the opinion of a third person. If only she could imagine how wierd that formatting looks and how frustrating it can be when you don't get a reference/inside joke.
        Here you go - enjoy! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQCcI3zPxqU

ReputationRep:
        You could always suggest she adds something else to her personal statement. And then when she doesn't have enough space to write the extra thing subtly suggest she deletes the joke to make room...

Worked with my friend.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
      Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.